Author Topic: Shader: Glitter / Sequin (Pt.2)  (Read 12302 times)

2020-03-30, 08:17:31
Reply #30

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
@Pokoy I *finally* got around to testing your shader setup in a production context and it was really easy to work with. I wonder why you chose to use three separate Corona Color nodes rather than a gradient(?)

2020-04-16, 23:22:06
Reply #31

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Pokoy I *finally* got around to testing your shader setup in a production context and it was really easy to work with. I wonder why you chose to use three separate Corona Color nodes rather than a gradient(?)

Sorry for the delay, only just remembered you answered...
This was the setup that made most sense to me in order to have different colors scattered randomly (by map). With a gradient you would need to either use UVs which can be problematic on some geometries or needs addtional work, or color them depending on viewing angle which is not what the effect is about imo since there's no thin film effect in play... Either way, happy you could use it.

I tried the OSL flakes shader the other day on a car paint material and unfortunately using OSL for normal maps seems to produce problems with normal shading in Corona, it's similar to the artifacts one gets with anisotropy or low-res geometry where faces start to appear and normals smoothing breaks. I'm not sure whether it's a general problem of Corona or if OSL shaders need some special care when used for normal map generation in Corona. It's a real bummer though since it really produces nice flakey reflections.

2020-04-16, 23:26:33
Reply #32

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Yikes, well your implementation has been pretty successful, I think the falloff map especially helps sell the appearance of glitter - good work!

2021-06-09, 21:57:23
Reply #34

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
If you're on max 2019+ you can also try the glitter OSL shader that chaosgroup provides, google it.

Pokoy, I Googled around for this shader but I didn't see anything matching your description(?) Maybe this one?

2021-06-09, 22:13:09
Reply #35

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you're on max 2019+ you can also try the glitter OSL shader that chaosgroup provides, google it.

Pokoy, I Googled around for this shader but I didn't see anything matching your description(?) Maybe this one?

Yes, that one. Keep in mind that it'll produce shading artifacts where the geometry will become faceted, the stronger the bump/normal amount, the more visible the problem becomes.

2021-06-09, 22:44:21
Reply #36

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Thanks for the recommendation +1

2021-06-09, 22:50:55
Reply #37

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

2021-06-09, 23:13:43
Reply #38

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't know why it happens, maybe something can be done about it. I haven't reported it back then...

2022-02-04, 17:11:16
Reply #39

Alberto Luque

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, i habe been messing around with the OSL flakes and i solved the geometry normal problems simply applying a UVW Map of 1x1x1 to my geometry, it solves the wierd geometry faceting