Author Topic: Grass scattering.  (Read 9625 times)

2016-03-28, 12:40:03

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hello Corona members,

Can anyone help me on grass scattering. Actually we are not getting best result. my grass scattering look very unrealistic. Please see my image attached.

Thanks in Advance.

2016-03-28, 14:44:31
Reply #1

guest_guest

the best way is only using multiscatter with objectcolor feature ...

and some types of grasses ...

2016-03-28, 15:57:02
Reply #2

shadowman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the best way is only using multiscatter with objectcolor feature ...
what's the "objectcolor feature"?

2016-03-28, 16:10:01
Reply #3

guest_guest

this is an feature of multiscatter for color and shading variation for large areas by using simple image or any texture ...

2016-03-29, 07:15:41
Reply #4

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
I would suggest a few things from my grass tests

Make more clumps of grass in different sizes and height, try to stay in real world blade scale - I think the more clumps you make with the transformation tool of FP Pro the better your result will be.
I like to make clumps with growfx - as they are easily editable even after scattering over small surfaces and also assign different matIDs to them to have control over color variation
Use corona multimap with different tones of blades and with distribution by material ID
Also you can use Forest Pack clumping option which should simulate real world grouping of same plants. Even inside Forest Pack there is an option to pick random color values either from gradient or from any map - this adds to color variation.
Last but not least I would suggest adding small plants that usually grow with the grass - just browse over some grass photos and try to analyze what is going on there
Also maybe your shader needs a bit more tweaking to find the right balance between diffuse, reflection and translucency

2016-03-29, 10:13:30
Reply #5

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What tool did you you to scatter this?
I would check the density and scale. Your grass looks too dense and looks like it isn't cut for a very long time.
I attached three images. If you want I can send you the meshes/corona scatter object and you can use them.

Of course add johnymrazko tips to these basic lawns.

2016-03-29, 11:19:56
Reply #6

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hi...Thank you guys for your valuable comments:-

@guest_guest:- Well this time i used corona scatter but i will definitely try multiscatter and post some images over here. By the way how can i use "objectcolor feature"?

@johnymrazko:- I will try different size but we don't use Forest pack pro. right now i can not spend more money on FP pro. I just checked your portfolio on Behance and your grass look awesome and amazing. Is that possible for you to make a nice video on grass scattering and grass material and post over here on corona forum. Thank you.

2016-03-29, 11:25:29
Reply #7

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If your lawn is flat (planar), then you can use the free Forest Pack Light :)

2016-03-29, 11:29:48
Reply #8

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
I would check the density and scale. Your grass looks too dense and looks like it isn't cut for a very long time.
I attached three images. If you want I can send you the meshes/corona scatter object and you can use them.

Thank you very much rambambulli for your kind reply. Well i used corona scatter but there are not too many options or maybe, i can't understand corona scatter tool. I can send my ground plane with grass scattering for your review. Can you please send me your these grass scenes so that i can review my mistake?

Thanks in advance.

2016-03-29, 11:35:19
Reply #9

Torsten

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@rambambulli

I also struggle with getting the grass to look realistic. I really like your renders. The geometry looks very realistic to me. Would you mind sharing the grass models? Or can you explain where to get them?

Thanks

2016-03-29, 11:37:52
Reply #10

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
If your lawn is flat (planar), then you can use the free Forest Pack Light :)

Thanks. My lawn is flat but in lite version how can i use Johny's mentioned FP pro tools for nice grass or can i make nice effects with lite version? Long time ago i used lite version for grass. Actually i don't have enough experience on Exterior renderings. my expertise is in interior renderings unfortunately.

2016-03-29, 13:34:35
Reply #11

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I believe you can do this with the light version. It comes with a few presets and models and you can also use any model of your own. Besides that there's one or two tut's regarding grass/lawn.

I use it myself when possible, and I find that the biggest restriction in the light version is that it only works on planar spaces.

2016-03-29, 17:44:56
Reply #12

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
another quick solution; photoshop :D

2016-04-01, 10:51:53
Reply #13

TheDavid

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Like people already suggested here, there has to be lot of variation and visual noise. I suggest to observe lot of reference images and look for detail features like how grass is behaving close to the trees or observe parts of the lawn where the grass is dry or shorter. Then try to simulate this features with the scatter of your choice.

2016-04-09, 19:28:12
Reply #14

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS

Thank you very much rambambulli for your kind reply. Well i used corona scatter but there are not too many options or maybe, i can't understand corona scatter tool. I can send my ground plane with grass scattering for your review. Can you please send me your these grass scenes so that i can review my mistake?

Thanks in advance.