Author Topic: Texture mapping jagged 'seams'  (Read 6657 times)

2019-08-30, 07:35:11

Dfenton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I'm coming across a problem that I've encountered before, and I've always managed to fudge a way around it. However, I do not want to do that anymore, and want to do things the right way.

I have a mesh given to me by a client (comes from a 3D scan of a physical object) and I need to map a texture onto it. Simple in theory. I have it in Max, with a Corona mat applied. The texture is actually a checkerboard requiring (or so I thought) nothing more than a simple UVW box map. But when I do this, these strange jagged seams appear in certain places on the mesh.

I've tried making it a poly, removing all the smoothing groups, removing all the poly IDs, reducing the mesh density, increasing the mesh density and so on. There must be a fundamental basic step that I am missing surely?

Please; if anyone can shed some light on this I'd be very grateful!

Screenshot attached with red highlight.

Thanks guys,

Douglas

2019-08-30, 09:52:06
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well, that's pretty obvious - this jagged line is where the UV map seam is running. You can add UVW unwrap modifier on top and it will show the green line on model, where UV seams are. The solution is to properly unwrap your model, but that might be difficult to do if mesh is triangle mess - you may want to do retopology first. Alternatively, you can change box mapping to cylindrical, but that will just shift jagged seam to different place. However if model's texture won't consist of clearly defined geometric pattern, but will be more of stochastic nature, then you can go along without UVs at all - just use Corona triplanar map and it will give you nice seamless texture.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-31, 05:17:25
Reply #2

Dfenton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Romullus - Thank you very much for this - I think I get it now. Yes, unwrapping is not really an option here. The Triplanar mapping looks to be good though; I'd never really appreciated how powerful that feature is!

I guess this was pretty obvious to you ... clearly not to me, ha ha!

Thank you again.

2019-08-31, 10:47:08
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Glad to help you! Did you know, that you can even bake triplanar into texture and use it outside Corona and/or 3ds max.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-31, 10:54:58
Reply #4

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will add more))
3ds max have native triplanar map - Blended Box Map
what can be seen in viewport ;) and it's works fine with corona