Author Topic: Atomizer concept renders  (Read 2484 times)

2016-12-23, 02:38:16

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, just posting up some renders of an atomizer design (for vaping/advanced e-cigarette use) I came up with as a personal project. Everything is modeled to scale (width of the tank is 25mm). I'm currently in talks with a company to get this put into production after posting this on reddit's e-cigarette sub-reddit. The metal was done using the new triplanar mapping feature which is awesome btw!
Vray who?

2016-12-23, 07:20:14
Reply #1

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
hi agentdark45,
nice work :) and, just curious, how did you model the white fibrous thing in the first image? hair & fur?

2016-12-23, 12:01:44
Reply #2

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its meant to be fibrous cotton lol (used as wicking material for the e-liquid). I modeled a base shape first, split it down the middle for greater control of each half, then scattered two tiny fibres (splines with minor thickness) using corona scatter over the surface of the shapes, then hid the base shape from the viewport.

The first scatter was offset in the z axis to give the cotton density/mass to fill out the shape, then a 2nd scatter was applied with only a minor z offset to get the wispy edges. Both scatters have tweaked rotation and scaling so that the fibers look like they are flowing in one direction, but still slightly random. It's just a simple white material with low levels of translucency applied.
Vray who?

2016-12-23, 12:56:14
Reply #3

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Congratulations, the materials look very realistic, especially your stainless steel and the "fur" / cotton. Do you have any camparisons of hair&fur modifier vs. scattered fibres?
I made some pillows/plaids covered with fur and the passing took ages, and guzzled all my memory. I think your way could be a perfect and btw. more filigrane solution. Does Corona scatter offer any way of adopting the fur-texture ?! I think Forestpack has it.