Author Topic: Vegetation shader  (Read 46448 times)

2015-10-14, 16:09:36

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I posted this in my wip thread, but might as repost it here if it's ok, more people may come across it here. This is quick start into how I do my vegetation, but most of it is bit old (it desperately needs vertex colors and instance variation),
so I might learn and update it during this project and then do a full video on it.

« Last Edit: 2015-10-14, 16:14:55 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-10-14, 16:26:52
Reply #1

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj, this helps a lot. Seems that I have to step up on my veggy materials. :)
Visit boxel

2015-10-14, 16:29:59
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Even basics helps the most :- ) Good normal map with strong relief and saying no to "evermotion green" color (toxic level of brightness and saturation)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-10-14, 18:01:46
Reply #3

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing. I have never tried the front back map with darker and lighter shades. Will give it a try. Quick question though; what do you do for the branches? Also any recommendation for pine trees?

2015-10-14, 18:23:37
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I will continue with the branches and trees :- ) But not today, need to do some client's review that suddenly came.

2015-10-15, 09:11:23
Reply #5

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Very usefull, thanks! Ground cover is bbb I guess? Tree is made in house?

2015-10-15, 09:44:37
Reply #6

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
Thanks a lot Juraj... always a pleasure to follow your advices !
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2015-10-15, 10:00:36
Reply #7

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

This morning I saw that Evermotion is finally providing Corona models and tested the free sample of their tree collection. Must say that they did a pretty good job on the shading part. It has some good similarities of your approach and hopefully this will set a new standard. Looking forward to see your approach on barks and branches (turbosmooth, noise and\or displacement if I saw it correctly at SOA 2014 :) )

2015-10-15, 13:17:37
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Very usefull, thanks! Ground cover is bbb I guess? Tree is made in house?

Yes by Bertrand, I am even writting it in the tutorial pic :- )

Hi,

This morning I saw that Evermotion is finally providing Corona models and tested the free sample of their tree collection. Must say that they did a pretty good job on the shading part. It has some good similarities of your approach and hopefully this will set a new standard. Looking forward to see your approach on barks and branches (turbosmooth, noise and\or displacement if I saw it correctly at SOA 2014 :) )

Yes that's it :- ) I will post that too. I spent some time figuring out how to effectively merge scanned mesh (not just texture) but that didn't provide any fruit yet.

2015-10-15, 14:00:07
Reply #9

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Appreaciate the share! Though I must say the translucent hue some of your groundcover plants have leans a bit too much to the blueish green, in my opinion :) It´s a subtle thing but it´s the sort of green that plastic plants often have. Then again it might just be a regional thing and that´s how some plants look where you live :)

2015-10-15, 14:06:25
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Appreaciate the share! Though I must say the translucent hue some of your groundcover plants have leans a bit too much to the blueish green, in my opinion :) It´s a subtle thing but it´s the sort of green that plastic plants often have. Then again it might just be a regional thing and that´s how some plants look where you live :)

I don't think so.. all the translucency slots are extremely yellowish, and looking at the picture, the blue-ish tint you see is top part of leaf, reflecting blue sky/shadows. You can't even see much translucency in the groundcover at this angle. PS color-picker doesn't reveal any blue either..

Neither do I live anywhere where these plants exist...

2015-10-15, 16:40:10
Reply #11

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I don't think so.. all the translucency slots are extremely yellowish, and looking at the picture, the blue-ish tint you see is top part of leaf, reflecting blue sky/shadows. You can't even see much translucency in the groundcover at this angle. PS color-picker doesn't reveal any blue either..

Neither do I live anywhere where these plants exist...

I hope you don´t mind my cropping and zooming part of your render. See the plant here, with the big leaves:

I did not mean it is way too much to the blueish side, but just enough and just slightly too saturated enough to look unnatural to me.

2015-10-15, 16:53:36
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The translucent part has no blue tint at all... use PS color picker. Since that exact plant has very thick leaf, the translucency is more minor, and thus takes most of the color from the diffuse, rather than translucency. Which is how it should be.

Saturation yes, it's over-done, but that is post-production on my side. Went to far in 'vivid' look. It's was test merely. But the only blue is in sky reflection on top part of leaves.

The attached example is quick google photo, which I didn't touch. Yet it matches the values, the images are similarly post-produced. Both Translucency are exact rgb match.

http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1834214/305626814/stock-photo-green-leaves-backlit-is-nature-abstract-background-305626814.jpg

You also embedded your crop with AdobeRGB profile, while my original picture has sRGB (for which I have my monitor calibrated exactly, despite being wide gamut capable, U3014 ), so it's more saturated than should be.
Unless your browser is color-profile capable (only Mozzila as far I am aware), you're looking at my image incorrectly.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-15, 17:20:36 by Juraj_Talcik »

2015-10-15, 17:50:22
Reply #13

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You also embedded your crop with AdobeRGB profile, while my original picture has sRGB (for which I have my monitor calibrated exactly, despite being wide gamut capable, U3014 ), so it's more saturated than should be.
Unless your browser is color-profile capable (only Mozzila as far I am aware), you're looking at my image incorrectly.

That might be the case here. Damn these color profiles.. anyway, thanks for taking the time explaining and I hope to see more of your progress!

2015-11-06, 05:20:29
Reply #14

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I just realized that I never thanked you for sharing some of that awesomesauce. Thank you Juraj, you're the man!
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo