Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Bug Reporting

Very slow geometry phase 10x slower than old pc

(1/4) > >>

webuilddreams:
Hi, i have a new pc and the geometry phase is very very slow, mostly 10x slower than my old pc & and the scene parsing is mostly twice slower???

The new pc is an AMD EPYC 9754 (9004 Genoa) (singel cpu) on a Supermicro board with 384 GB DDR5 and the old pc is an AMD Ryzen 5900X with 128 GB DDR4.

I testted it with 20+ scenes all the same result, and is see the following times:
new pc(max 2021 and corona 11):
scene parsing 52 sec, scene geometry 97 sec, render time 12 minutes @ 850,000 samples/s actual average

old pc (max 2021 and corona 11)
scene parsing 30 sec, scene geometry 13 sec, render time 95 minutes @ 115,000 samples/s actual average

I also tested with the corona benchmark at 31 832 636 (9th place in the ranking) and with Vray benchmark 132950 (5 th place) so both very very fast, I am lost what to do?

pokoy:
As far as I know the info displayed is not actually only scene/geometry parsing but also other things like like loading of maps, so it might be that your new PC is slower at loading maps from disk or through network. These are also single threaded so you may have a mix of different reasons - single thread speed of your new CPU might be slower than of the CPU of the old machine, disk/network access speed, and your new CPU might suffer from under-utilization of CPU threads (where only half of the threads are working on a task etc).

I'd look into other means of benchmarking (not 3dsmax) to measure different tasks (CPU single threaded vs multi-threaded, RAM speed, disk/network I/O) and compare how each of the PCs performs. This will probably give you a better picture of what exactly is different between the two PCs.

webuilddreams:
Thanks Pokoy, we load the 3dsmax scene on both pc's local from de D SSD M.2 drives, so that is not an issue, the new pc has a single core speed of 3.08 Ghz and the old pc 4.5 Ghz, that could explane the scene parsing perhaps (but still the old pc single core isnt twice faster only 50%).

I benchmarked all different computer parts (memory , cpu ssd, etc etc) and on all benchmarks the new pc is much faster than the 4 year old cheap pc,

But thanks for thinking with me!

arqrenderz:
The AMD EPYC™ 9754 goes to 3.1GHZ, and the 5900x turbo up to 4.8 GHZ, in my experience thats were that time is, the rendering is so much faster because its using all the cores, not all the parsing is multithreaded (and cant be )

webuilddreams:
thanks, i start to meassure this:  in the scene parsing corona does in fact uses only a few cores, but in the geometry phase corona uses arround 70% of the cores. The screenshot was taken in the geometry phase.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version