Author Topic: VR 8k issue  (Read 498 times)

2024-02-27, 14:58:45

alexiusivas

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!
My specs i9-14900k, 32ram 5600mhz ddr5, 512ssd, gtx1060
I just started to convert my scenes into HTC VIVE format and other VR using vrto.me and other services, but now I have a general issue. It seems the engine or something else are broken.
12:6 format cubemap 18000-1500px rendering at full capacity and takes around 1h. But with spherical 8000x8000 the rendering seems broken and show thousands of hours to proceed.
The most interesting thing that the same format spherical 4000x4000 rendering estimates well.

I always used the same settings- pass -200or300 - noice level 2.0

Any suggestion?

2024-02-27, 15:57:09
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What does RAM usage look like?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-27, 16:14:09
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
8 000 x 8 000 is about 2,4 times more pixels than 18 000 x 1500. More pixels needs more RAM to render. 32 GB is most likely not enough to render 8K resolution output. If your system is running out of RAM, then it either will crash, or start using swap file on your disk, which is thousands time slower than RAM, therefore huge estimated time actually makes sense. You have several options how to solve this issue, a. add more RAM (64 GB is considering minimum for rendering with Corona these days), b. reduce output resolution until scene will fit to available RAM, c. try to optimize the scene (remove all unnecessary render elements, bake and delete lightmix, reduce textures resolution, close all unnecessary programs while rendering).
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-27, 17:00:11
Reply #3

alexiusivas

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you.
Ram almost full 30/32

Are you sure that 64 do the trick? I could even buy 128gb.BUT I don't want spending money for nothing.

so any recommendation for better usage and image method? Are the cubemap 1536p superior nowadays for top end vr headsets?

2024-02-27, 17:16:36
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess you could just increase render size in steps and see where it 'breaks' and what RAM consumption looks like when it happens.
I've rendered out bigger spherical images with 64GB RAM so most likely yes, it is RAM and 30/32GB probably means it's at the limit. When this happens you should also see the OS becoming slow to work with, freezing for a few seconds etc.

2024-02-27, 19:08:47
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thank you.
Ram almost full 30/32

Are you sure that 64 do the trick? I could even buy 128gb.BUT I don't want spending money for nothing.

If it's indeed RAM, then yes, adding more memory to your machine will bring render time to a sane level, i.e. if 18 00 x 1 500 is rendering in 1 hour on your machine, then 8K x 8K should render in about 2 and a half hours to the same quality. Windows task manager might not be very accurate at reporting RAM usage, if you want to be sure that the system is out of RAM and swap file is being used, you could look at system disk usage during rendering - if it's at 100% all the time, then almost certainly there's not enough RAM for all the tasks.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-28, 01:39:30
Reply #6

alexiusivas

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all! Going to buy 64. Any recommendation about models?

I guess you could just increase render size in steps and see where it 'breaks' and what RAM consumption looks like when it happens.
I've rendered out bigger spherical images with 64GB RAM so most likely yes, it is RAM and 30/32GB probably means it's at the limit. When this happens you should also see the OS becoming slow to work with, freezing for a few seconds etc.
How much ram normally in use from 64 in the process of rendering?
Did you switched to cubemap? what is the cons of spherical compared to cube, coz i heard that it was popular back in 2015?