Author Topic: White balance eye dropper  (Read 1825 times)

2022-06-22, 20:04:34

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm really missing a simple option for adjusting white balance by just eye-dropping a point of the image, like in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Would that be possible?
« Last Edit: 2022-06-22, 20:09:18 by Basshunter »

2022-06-22, 20:29:57
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You may or may not know, but that can be done using the Pick Inverse option when choosing a Tint color https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528499663505-How-to-set-automatic-white-balance-in-the-VFB- which is still just a single click, only you click on the inverse dropper rather than direct dropper.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-06-22, 21:14:25
Reply #2

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.

There's a couple of points I'd like to mention regarding this method:

First of all, this is not working for me. My scene just turns totally blue and dark with this method. Using Photoshop eye dropper on the same spot gives me a perfect white balanced image.

Second, why making things so complicated and counter intuitive by putting the automatic white balance function under a layer called "Tint" where we need to select the inverse of it? Why not just having a simple eye dropper tool under the White Balance layer? A simple white balance layer that include temperature and magenta-green options plus an eye dropper for automatic WB.

To make things even more complicated, all Corona eye droppers works totally different to any eye dropper out there! Instead of just clicking on the icon and then on the target, you need to hold click and drag. This usually leads to making mistakes not only because it's harder to move a mouse while holding click, but also because we expect the same behavior as any other eye dropper tool.

Seriously guys, why not addressing these kind of issues that would really make thigs easier for us? I know there are many new features to be added which are probably a priority. I've personally requested some of them. But to be honest, I'd rather choose to improve what we already have so at least our daily work using this amazing renderer was easier and more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-09, 16:09:59 by Basshunter »

2022-06-22, 21:42:33
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Also just to note, no-one saying there won't be improvements or this request won't be taken on board, just wanted to let you know of the current recommended workflow (which apparently is not working for you, which is a thing in itself, might be worth a bug report if you have the time - either way it adds weight to the request here :) ). At this point though, also not saying there will be changes around this - but it is good to hear it voiced, and my reply is just to say "Try this in the meantime". Hope that helps!

2022-07-14, 18:17:16
Reply #4

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You may or may not know, but that can be done using the Pick Inverse option when choosing a Tint color https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528499663505-How-to-set-automatic-white-balance-in-the-VFB- which is still just a single click, only you click on the inverse dropper rather than direct dropper.

Hello! This method is not working anymore in version 8  in a new color picker. Just try it please. I don't know how to do it in a right way right now. Can I ask you please to clarify how to do it?

2022-07-14, 18:29:09
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Please explain more about what does not work now, it works for me here, just with the new click and drag functionality rather than the click then click. Where do you have the Tint in the tone mapping stack?

2022-07-15, 00:26:06
Reply #6

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please explain more about what does not work now, it works for me here, just with the new click and drag functionality rather than the click then click. Where do you have the Tint in the tone mapping stack?

Thank you for your reply, I wrote in this topic as well: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37452.0