Author Topic: Triplanar mapping mode directly in CoronaBitmap  (Read 8453 times)

2019-08-12, 17:29:34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Feature request based on discussion in this topic: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=25750.0

It would be very nice to have triplanar mapping implemented directly in CoronaBitmap for easier set up and more convenient use. I guess that due to lack of UI space, triplanar in CBitmap would have to be simplified, so separate triplanar node should still be available for full features access and for backward compatibility.

It seems that Fstorm has already such feature implemented, as it can be seen from image below.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-12, 17:56:22
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How would you control the rotation and scale of the triplanar map with this setup?
Vray who?

2019-08-12, 19:30:09
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Scale control should be definitely implemented. Rotation and offset probably could be considered as advanced features and only available in dedicated node. Image in the first post, is from Fstorm implementation, it does not imply that Corona team should follow exact implementation.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-12, 19:47:48
Reply #3

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You just drive it using tiling like you would a normal bitmap but it also drives Triplanar.  I enable real world scale most of the time.  Works really well.

2019-08-12, 22:36:13
Reply #4

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
seems like an excellent opportunity to include Stochastic texturing at the same time?

2019-08-15, 10:11:46
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged for the devs to consider.

(internal id=386309989)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-09-08, 00:40:15
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Thought it was about time to chime in and see whether there has been any movement on this feature request(?)

2019-09-14, 20:41:28
Reply #7

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
denisT.MaxDoctor offered some code support in response to the suggested implementation, which you can see here, although it doesn't appear that the code satisfies the proposed feature request, exactly.

The Fstorm implementation is a good solution, however a script-based solution might function differently and I have outlined a workflow below:

The idea is that the user sees a material with bitmaps attached in the Slate Material Editor (see 'before.png'), selects the material, clicks a button (or hotkey), and then sees that material with triplanar nodes inserted, and bezier float controllers attached to the 'scale' parameter of the triplanar nodes (see 'after.png').

Before

A material with different bitmaps already attached.
NOTE: the bump channel is connected to a 'Corona Normal Texmap' and a source bitmap (normal).

After

A material with triplanar nodes inserted between the CoronaMtl and incoming nodes. Bezier float controllers are attached to the 'scale' parameter of the triplanar nodes to globally adjust triplanar scaling.
NOTE: triplanar node in the bump channel is inserted between the Corona Normal Texmap and the material, rather than between the source bitmap (normal) and the Corona Normal Texmap.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-14, 21:39:05 by cjwidd »

2020-10-15, 21:26:28
Reply #8

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Did we ever get any feedback from the development team on enhanced integration for the Corona Triplanar Map? It seems like the FStorm style integration in which triplanar mode is folded into the Corona Bitmap is a strong suggestion.

2020-10-16, 17:29:17
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Don't worry, it is not forgotten. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-10-16, 21:32:56
Reply #10