Author Topic: Faster Triplanar Setup?  (Read 12566 times)

2019-08-09, 01:01:08

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
At the moment, to apply triplanar shading to a Corona Material, I hook up triplanar maps to any incoming texture maps to the shader, then attach a bezier float controller to control the scale of the triplanar.

Setting this up for every material in which it is called for is very time consuming. Is there any faster way to do this?

2019-08-09, 07:27:00
Reply #1

mh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • houra.cz
+1 please! I love love triplanar but it's a pain in the butt to set up as cjwidd said.
---

2019-08-09, 09:43:46
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just set up material with triplanars once and save it to material library as template. From this point, it's a matter of adding template material from library to editor and hooking up needed bitmaps. I don't think there's faster way than this, unless you'll write yourself a script, which does that with the click of a button.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-08-09, 12:04:50
Reply #3

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just set up material with triplanars once and save it to material library as template. From this point, it's a matter of adding template material from library to editor and hooking up needed bitmaps. I don't think there's faster way than this, unless you'll write yourself a script, which does that with the click of a button.
I think it's possible, as for example gradient map have inserted controllers nodes by default

2019-08-09, 22:54:02
Reply #4

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Maybe it's an over-the-top request, but you can imagine a Boolean switch on each map channel to enable / disable triplanar mapping rather than manually setting the triplanar nodes per channel.

2019-08-09, 23:13:23
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just an idea - maybe simplified triplanar mapping could be implemented straight into Corona bitmap, next to explicit, real world and enviromental mapping modes. So when you don't need advanced parameters of full triplanar node and 95% of the time i don't need them, then you simply could turn on triplanar in CBitmap and be happy.

2019-08-09, 23:37:04
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Just an idea - maybe simplified triplanar mapping could be implemented straight into Corona bitmap, next to explicit, real world and enviromental mapping modes. So when you don't need advanced parameters of full triplanar node and 95% of the time i don't need them, then you simply could turn on triplanar in CBitmap and be happy.

I logged in just to give this 7 stars. This is amazing idea.

To avoid conflict if it was nested inside triplanar node, that one would just take preference.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-08-09, 23:37:27
Reply #7

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Yes, what Romullus suggested x1000

2019-08-09, 23:43:35
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ok, i will make a feature request tomorrow then.

2019-08-10, 00:05:11
Reply #9

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Beauty, thank you so much +1

2019-08-10, 00:17:54
Reply #10

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This would be very nice!  FStorm has a similar approach and it's quite compact and handy.

2019-08-10, 00:44:55
Reply #11

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
To be clear, and in case it's relevant, I *would* want access to several of the triplanar adjustment options, i.e. offset, rotation, scale, displacement support, etc.

Or course, I cannot speak for others, just my two cents.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-10, 00:50:47 by cjwidd »

2019-08-10, 10:27:19
Reply #12

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1

A better approach to set up triplanar maps is needed. Its great to have it as and individual node, but most of the time our map sizes should be linked together. Will keep an eye on this one :)

2019-08-10, 10:46:26
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@ikercito, just to be clear, the proposal has nothing to do with map scale. You still would have to link map scale with controllers between different bitmaps. What triplanar implemantion into CBitmap would solve, is faster and easier se tup, less clutter in material editor, easier to read graphs, more intuitive mapping.

FStorm has a similar approach and it's quite compact and handy.

Could you attach screenshot of Fstorm implementation? I could add it as an example to the feature request then.

2019-08-12, 17:13:59
Reply #14

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ikercito, just to be clear, the proposal has nothing to do with map scale. You still would have to link map scale with controllers between different bitmaps. What triplanar implemantion into CBitmap would solve, is faster and easier se tup, less clutter in material editor, easier to read graphs, more intuitive mapping.

FStorm has a similar approach and it's quite compact and handy.

Could you attach screenshot of Fstorm implementation? I could add it as an example to the feature request then.

For sure!  Attempting to attach.  Triplanar is just a choice on the 'mapping' dropdown similar to spherical, etc.  Also note the random tiling feature...*cough*