Author Topic: Scene parsing speed: mesh vs proxy  (Read 10563 times)

2018-05-09, 11:10:05

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I noticed that proxy has significant longer parsing time comparing to mesh. In my specific case it's 12 s vs 2 s. I haven't tested yet if that's consistent behaviour across multiple proxies, or just that particular proxie has some issues. Is this expected?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-14, 11:33:10
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hmm... I just tried with this model https://threedscans.com/vatican-museums/hermanubis/ and I got 2s with geometry, and 1s with proxy.
Can you provide a sample scene?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-14, 11:49:38
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, if only i could remember what was the model... If i'll manage to reproduce the issue, i will send you the file for sure.

P.S. i sent you a message with the file.
« Last Edit: 2018-05-14, 12:14:16 by romullus »

2018-05-14, 13:35:57
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
note to self: downloaded to local/romullus-proxy

2018-05-20, 11:50:57
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It looks like turning on keep in memory or changing viewport display type to full mesh, since that automatically forces keep in memory, brings parsing time to a minimum - 1 s in my case. That's very nice when you have enough RAM (rarely the case for me).

Because of this parsing issue, i think proxies are less suitable for scattering, because Corona scatter will reparse every instanced object on slightest move of distribution object - very annoying in IR.

2018-06-28, 15:25:37
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Was this related to this https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20291.0 and so it would mean it is fixed now?

2018-06-29, 19:15:57
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No, proxies still take much longer to parse.

2018-07-11, 14:06:32
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We're looking into it.
Random idea: maybe it's because the proxies are compressed?

2019-07-10, 13:44:51
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
(internal id=253342882)

2019-07-18, 19:19:41
Reply #9

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
Just to verify, cause we use scattered proxies with forest pack all the time. In all our scenes all objects of +100k poly's are proxified to keep the scene size to a minimum and viewport performance to a maximum:

Is the workaround to put the proxies in full mesh mode? Cause that kills our viewport performance and increases the max file size ofcource again...

Any chance for a simplified mesh mode like vray has? Some body-wrap low poly looking mesh?

Keeping them in memory is automaticaly on though, but this doesnt prevent forest pack pro from sucking my memory dry.

Is this somewhere on the priority list together with the smoothing groups being broken when converting from proxy to mesh again?

Proxies are our daily bread & butter here in ArchViz

Grts

2019-07-25, 11:45:15
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just to verify, cause we use scattered proxies with forest pack all the time. In all our scenes all objects of +100k poly's are proxified to keep the scene size to a minimum and viewport performance to a maximum:

Is the workaround to put the proxies in full mesh mode? Cause that kills our viewport performance and increases the max file size ofcource again...

Any chance for a simplified mesh mode like vray has? Some body-wrap low poly looking mesh?

Keeping them in memory is automaticaly on though, but this doesnt prevent forest pack pro from sucking my memory dry.

Is this somewhere on the priority list together with the smoothing groups being broken when converting from proxy to mesh again?

Proxies are our daily bread & butter here in ArchViz

Grts

Could you send us an example scene like this? Here is the uploader, up to 10 GB: https://corona-renderer.com/upload
After the upload, please let us know what was the file name and which upload method you used (Dropbox or standard).
And some questions:
- Are you using Corona Proxy scattered with Forest Pack? Or regular mesh scattered with Forest Pack?
- When you are talking about viewport display mode, do you mean display mode for Corona Proxy or Forest Pack instances?

2019-07-29, 10:23:14
Reply #11

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
Could you send us an example scene like this?
Of where Forest Pack Pro sucks my memory dry?

- Are you using Corona Proxy scattered with Forest Pack? Or regular mesh scattered with Forest Pack?
Depends, if we have the time we proxify all our meshes to then spread with Forest Pack Pro

- When you are talking about viewport display mode, do you mean display mode for Corona Proxy or Forest Pack instances?
We often use 6 high rez tree proxies for background and 6 High rez tree proxies for foreground distribution, then there's low grasses & bushes, all seperate Forest Pack Pro files, with proxies at their base

I was referring to the display mode of the Corona proxies, clouds & full mesh is not enough... 100% point-Clouds don't carry sufficient points at the trunk for manual placement and the full mesh is inoperable for many trees in the viewport.

Scene Layer wise:
The original proxies for Forest Pack distribution are in a seperate layer since they need to be in mesh mode sometimes for editing - They should be able to go from mesh to proxy and back again, but since it breaks groups this is starting to become difficult and we recently decided to try more of the Maxtree models with Grow Fx at their base instead of a Corona-Proxy, although this is viewport suicide...

We prefer Corona proxies cause they carry animation cache easily (generated from Grow Fx) - Just a few annoying remaining issues with proxies.