Author Topic: tree Translucency  (Read 27662 times)

2014-02-17, 18:31:46
Reply #15

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Impressive Maru' thank you for showing, I have to try this. Can you show me your slate view?

2014-02-17, 18:47:41
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here. And don't look at reflectivity map. It's probably close to useless. Good diffuse and translucency maps and values are the key here.
You can download the model with textures from here:
http://www.viz-people.com/free-stuff
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-02-17, 19:21:16
Reply #17

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I know this is completely unrelated, but why don't you instance that bitmap node instead of having it there 4 times? :D

2014-02-17, 19:41:55
Reply #18

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hah, there is no real reason, that's because I was doing it very quickly and dirty. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-02-17, 19:48:49
Reply #19

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Its look Awsome Maru, just like in the movies http://img2.tvtome.com/i/u/4590d3ec9f3442bbc2886089f36c2dc7.jpg

I am going to try this can you show me your slate view, please.

Thanks!

2014-02-17, 19:52:59
Reply #20

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hah, there is no real reason, that's because I was doing it very quickly and dirty. :)

You can save a LOT of time by instancing maps as much as possible in shadertrees and different slots of a single material.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-17, 20:11:19
Reply #21

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

You can save a LOT of time by instancing maps as much as possible in shadertrees and different slots of a single material.

That's Ok, I totally get it. The params are the magic.

2014-02-17, 20:17:52
Reply #22

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Here what I got so far. What do you guys think?

I'm going to go download the free trees and test maru's material worlflow now.

I am missing some parameters, guess I need the dailybuilds.

2014-02-17, 20:27:17
Reply #23

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're doing this mistake again. Tree leaves doesn't need refraction. By puting map in this slot, you hurting both, material believability and render time. Don't do this.

Edit: btw, if that map structure for translucency slot, you borrowed from my scene, you may want to replace it by something else. I did it in hurry and i don't think it's suitable in this situation. I feel guilty for this :]
« Last Edit: 2014-02-17, 20:34:05 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-02-17, 20:38:31
Reply #24

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
You're doing this mistake again. Tree leaves doesn't need refraction. By puting map in this slot, you hurting both, material believability and render time. Don't do this.

Edit: btw, if that map structure for translucency slot, you borrowed from my scene, you may want to replace it by something else. I did it in hurry and i don't think it's suitable in this situation. I feel guilty for this :]

You are right bro! Thanks for catching that. It reduced the render time, and it looks good. Ok, I'll replace the map in the translucency.

2014-02-17, 20:44:42
Reply #25

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks

How is that technically? What are the drawbacks of non-instanced but identical bitmap maps? I never really thought about it since I try to instance as much as possible but is each non-instanced bitmap loaded separately into RAM (I can hardly imagine that) or is it just the internal overhead that is produced by multiple bitmap loaders?
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-02-17, 20:50:09
Reply #26

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

How is that technically? What are the drawbacks of non-instanced but identical bitmap maps? I never really thought about it since I try to instance as much as possible but is each non-instanced bitmap loaded separately into RAM (I can hardly imagine that) or is it just the internal overhead that is produced by multiple bitmap loaders?

Each map is not loaded into RAM separately, but each map is sampled separately if they are not instanced. 3dsmax actually has a caching mechanism implemented that allows reusing the first instance result for all subsequent ones. So instancing single map 4 times can make your shader evaluation 4 times faster.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-17, 21:14:02
Reply #27

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
How does this look now? I change the translucency map.

2014-02-17, 21:18:14
Reply #28

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Each map is not loaded into RAM separately, but each map is sampled separately if they are not instanced. 3dsmax actually has a caching mechanism implemented that allows reusing the first instance result for all subsequent ones. So instancing single map 4 times can make your shader evaluation 4 times faster.

yep, yep.

2014-02-17, 21:20:46
Reply #29

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it's time to introduce front/back map to you. Right now, sun facing sides of your leaves, have way to much translucency, while back faces looks ok.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures