Author Topic: Combining Displacement maps  (Read 2334 times)

2019-03-07, 15:14:40

musashidan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it possible to combine displacement maps? For example, a displacement map extracted from a Zbrush sculpt and a tiling microsurface map. Both maps are 32bit.EXRs.

In Arnold it can be done by normalising the range of the microsurface map to zero(to match the Zbrush map at zero) using a alRemapFloat node, and then layering the 2 maps with an alCombineFloat node set to Add.

2019-03-07, 15:19:25
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this for Max? If yes, you can use a Composite Map and combine maps in any way you can think off. Best is to use the map slot in a CoronaDisplacement modifier for any kind of mixing maps, using a LayerMtl for example will respect the displacement of the Base Mtl only.

2019-03-07, 15:23:17
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Or you can use Corona Mix node with "Add" operation.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-03-07, 15:24:37
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or you can use Corona Mix node with "Add" operation.

Oh yes, totally forgot about Corona's Mix map.

2019-03-07, 16:13:55
Reply #4

musashidan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, but simply mixing 2 maps isn't the problem, it's normalising the 2 displacement maps(zeroing out the scalar of the microsurface)

Because they are both 32bit full float images you can't simply mix them together because the ranges are wildly different.

EDIT: just figured it out. Using a Corona Mix node you can simply lower the multiplier of the microsurface map right down to normalise the 2.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-07, 16:21:29 by musashidan »

2023-03-28, 16:02:11
Reply #5

AlbertoMaciel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, but simply mixing 2 maps isn't the problem, it's normalising the 2 displacement maps(zeroing out the scalar of the microsurface)

Because they are both 32bit full float images you can't simply mix them together because the ranges are wildly different.

EDIT: just figured it out. Using a Corona Mix node you can simply lower the multiplier of the microsurface map right down to normalise the 2.

Cheers.

I know the topic is old but I gotta ask... you used the CoronaMix as "MIX" or used any other blending mode?
I tried but I had mixed results.

2023-03-28, 17:46:36
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In newer versions of Corona, you can now use the Corona Layered Mtl to mix multiple displacement maps - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Layered+Material
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-03-28, 22:00:38
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I know the topic is old but I gotta ask... you used the CoronaMix as "MIX" or used any other blending mode?
I tried but I had mixed results.

I think it depends on what outcome you're expecting to get. As maru pointed out, it makes more sense to use layered material if you want to just mix several displacements, but there are situations where you might need to use additive, or subtractive blending modes to get what you want and that's only achievable in Corona mix node. Just keep in mind that when blending displacement maps, always keep "mix in sRGB space" unchecked!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures