Author Topic: Displace on the X/Y-axis only?  (Read 820 times)

2022-06-14, 22:10:01

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm working on a rendering of a building which has multiple metal panel profiles. I figured it would be easy to make the different profiles with a simple displacement map but they are also displacing in the Z-axis and over lapping where the profile changes. Is there any way to prevent this? I've tried Corona Tri-planer on a whim and it didn't work.

Thank you

2022-06-14, 22:36:42
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Regular displacement can only displace in single axis, which is parallel to the surface normal. If you want to displace in other axis, you need to use vector displacement, but i doubt it would help in your specific case.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-06-15, 04:34:32
Reply #2

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm working on a rendering of a building which has multiple metal panel profiles.

Hi,

Do you have a reference photo to show us?

2022-06-15, 16:30:52
Reply #3

JGallagher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't have any reference photos. Just the three profiles we are using, which I have attached.

I modelled the trim pieces between the separate panels and it hides the overlap enough. I was just curious why there was a vertical overlap between the two panels.

2022-06-16, 02:14:42
Reply #4

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you.
Personnally I would probably go for a scattering solution like RailClone rather than displacement.
I guess it would work fine: you just have to model the three different metal profiles, then scatter them with RailClone, or even with the regular Shift + I tool of 3ds Max.