Author Topic: Corona Slicer Material playground!  (Read 19888 times)

2021-12-26, 18:09:29
Reply #15

giza

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

is there any specific rule about the geometry that gets sliced with this new material?
I was testing it with a file where the mesh is imported from ArchiCAD (walls of the apartment) and as you may see in the attached screenshot it makes some weird spots here and there for some reason. It is same in interactive and regular rendering.

2022-01-03, 09:32:42
Reply #16

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

is there any specific rule about the geometry that gets sliced with this new material?
I was testing it with a file where the mesh is imported from ArchiCAD (walls of the apartment) and as you may see in the attached screenshot it makes some weird spots here and there for some reason. It is same in interactive and regular rendering.
Hi,

I believe this issue has already been fixed internally and should be out in the next daily build :)

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-01-05, 11:54:57
Reply #17

giza

• Active Users
    • View Profile
rowmanns That is great, thank you.

2022-01-05, 16:51:26
Reply #18

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
rowmanns That is great, thank you.
Hi,

Just to let you know it didn't make it into todays daily build. But it is on the way :)

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-01-09, 11:48:11
Reply #19

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, you have done a great job.
I ask you if it would be possible to have an option that reverses the way of working of the coronaSlicerMtl, that is to show only what intersects the geometry to which the coronaSlicerMtl is applied.

thank you

2022-01-13, 13:18:33
Reply #20

karlingermano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The new slicer is amazing, really useful new feature!
I have one question: is it possible to have displacement on the slicer object. For me it seem that displacement works properly on the object which I sliced from but it isn't visible on the slicer.
Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

2022-01-14, 13:23:53
Reply #21

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Fixed in the latest daily which you can find here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33839.msg193862#msg193862

Let me know if you still have issues.
Send me your scene!

2022-01-15, 18:39:54
Reply #22

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
it wil be possible to include/esclude also an xrefscene from slicer material?

2022-01-18, 15:39:40
Reply #23

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm so glad this feature will finally be implemented! Will save many headaches.

In its current form, can the coronaslicer only cap in one colour? For the icing on the cake, is there a way to set up multiple cap colours?

Currently when using the slice modifier, I simply create a 2 mat multi-subobject material to give the sliced part of an object a different colour. (Slice modifier + cap typically assigns mat id 2). This allows you to differentiate between sliced, nested objects and have the slice plane as an instanced modifier.

Attached is a crude example

2022-01-18, 15:47:35
Reply #24

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Only way I could think of is to duplicate the slicer, use include exclude list as to which objects each one affects.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-01-18, 15:55:13
Reply #25

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thought of this as well but then you'd have to keep instancing slicer objects / materials. I sometimes have to section 10-20 objects (machine parts) at once to create a section view so this would be a tedious option...

I suppose more complex slice scenarios like this may still be a job for the slice modifier. It's just no good at complex imported CAD geometry as it often creates lots of artifacts and distorted geometry.

2022-02-08, 10:37:38
Reply #26

K3D.

• Users
    • View Profile
Yep, slicing things is fun :)

Honestly, I thought it would only work with simple geometry, but it works great with whatever complex shape you use. Great job on this one!

2022-02-08, 11:17:03
Reply #27

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

In its current form, can the coronaslicer only cap in one colour? For the icing on the cake, is there a way to set up multiple cap colours?

Currently when using the slice modifier, I simply create a 2 mat multi-subobject material to give the sliced part of an object a different colour. (Slice modifier + cap typically assigns mat id 2). This allows you to differentiate between sliced, nested objects and have the slice plane as an instanced modifier.

You can also use it with Multimap in "instance" or "material id" mode - https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402649799441
Then the cap will have a different color depending on what object is capped.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-02-08, 11:18:15
Reply #28

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yep, slicing things is fun :)

Honestly, I thought it would only work with simple geometry, but it works great with whatever complex shape you use. Great job on this one!

Yeah, it does work with complex shapes! :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-02-08, 16:03:50
Reply #29

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You can also use it with Multimap in "instance" or "material id" mode - https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402649799441
Then the cap will have a different color depending on what object is capped.

Just tried with both options. Unless I'm doing something wrong, neither work. In the attached example, the inside tube is set to material id 3 for both tests. The multimap in 'material id' mode (left) never gets to the third colour (purple) plus there's an anomaly when the cutter doesn't fully pass through the object being sliced and switches to id 2. The inside tube should have purple caps, the outside should be red since its id 1.

Not sure how instance would work here in the case that we do not have instanced objects. Also, I have not tested objects that are assigned multi-subobject materials which we use often.