Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Daily Builds

Constant crashes with slate preview load

(1/2) > >>

aaouviz:
This is going to be a half-assed bug report because I don't have much info to share on it, and I'm wayyyyyy too busy to try and de-bug at the moment, but I'm interested if anyone else is experiencing any similar issues?

Ever since upgrading to Corona 10:
I'm getting constant crashes when using slate material editor. It seems to happen when loading the preview textures/bitmaps/materials (I'm not sure) of legacy materials (but possibly also PBR mats too).

I will load up slate, select an object to retrieve its material, it will begin loading (rendering) the textures etc and quickly crash. I can't predict when this happens, but it's happening often. With some materials, and not others. Sometimes clearing the slate material editor helps, sometimes not. Sometimes it happens on a fresh scene, sometimes old. Sometimes happens 2 mins after loading file, sometimes 2 hours after loading 3ds max file.

I get the usual max error asking if I'd like to save a backup.

My only hunch is that out-of-core textures is causing this. (I had major issues with this back in C9 dailies). I say this as I see the material preview loading and get buggy when the crash happens, in a very similar way to how the out-of-core bug happened to me previously.

Is anyone else experencing similar issues with material preview loading causing crashes?
and
Is there any way to disable out-of-core textures (I don't want this feature anyway).

(apologies for not sharing bug report/scene - will try to do this asap).

Thanks!

romullus:

--- Quote from: aaouviz on 2023-02-03, 08:53:04 ---Is there any way to disable out-of-core textures (I don't want this feature anyway).

--- End quote ---

Yes, there is. Look for the checkbox in render setup>performance>performance settings.

aaouviz:
Excellent! Thank you. Will see if this changes anything and try to provide proper feedback :)

romullus:
I have disabled OOCT right away and i have no Corona related crashes, but i'm on 9HF1, so likely that's unrelated to your issue.

rowmanns:
Hey,

This could be to do with the new material preview caching..

Which exact build are you using? If it's not the latest one, please first try updating to 2023-01-31 as we fixed a bunch of preview cache bugs there

If it still happens you can try to disable the preview caching here: render setup -> system -> system settings -> material editor -> enable caching

Lastly, can you send over the scene or problematic materials and we can work on fixing this asap :)

Cheers,

Rowan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version