Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Grainy image from Corona Sun

<< < (2/3) > >>

cor:
Thank you Tom. I have a quick follow-up question: We got these weird artifacts along the perimeter of the window where we have the background image, see attached. Is this because we tinkered with the LightMix while it was rendering in the background or was it because we stopped the rendering, allowed it to finish denoising and then continued rendering from file at a later time? What causes this?

TomG:
To be honest, not seen anything like that before. Changing LightMix while rendering shouldn't have made any difference. The second case of restarting a render sounds more likely - which denoiser did you use, Corona HQ (where I wouldn't expect this) or one of the AI ones? That background HDRI also looks surprisingly grainy, is there anything odd about it? Was it a straight HDRI used as env and seen directly, or was one HDRI or Sun/Sky used for the Env, and another for Direct Visibility?

cor:
We use Corona HQ denoiser. The background is a simple image from our 360 panorama (https://3600.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Melrose/2022-03-04%2017.34.36.jpg).  The image quality is bad but we used it so that the client can feel his own environment. We are fine with it not being sharp but that outline is weird. We put it on a 'light' plane to give the light. We have a separate sun with environment. This is our approach in this project. And we did not succeed with creating HDRI background from our own background picture.

cor:
Tom, just checking in, please see the previous response regarding:

--- Quote from: TomG on 2023-01-20, 18:40:55 ---which denoiser did you use, Corona HQ (where I wouldn't expect this) or one of the AI ones? That background HDRI also looks surprisingly grainy, is there anything odd about it? Was it a straight HDRI used as env and seen directly, or was one HDRI or Sun/Sky used for the Env, and another for Direct Visibility?

--- End quote ---

What could we be missing here?

TomG:
Sorry, not sure - sounds like the scene might need to be sent in, unless anyone on the support team has seen something like this before. Only thing I am aware of is that putting an image on a light plane and using it as a main light source (actually emitting light) is generally a bad idea for performance, but not sure it would have anything to do with these artefacts. It would be better to use a plane with a material set NOT to emit light as the visible background (and shadowcasting off) so that it does not contribute any lighting to the scene, with the environment being the sole source of lighting being cast into the room. But I don't see how that would affect the artefacts :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version