Author Topic: Will the new standalone give some life to the Blender integration?  (Read 76682 times)

2016-03-16, 11:17:16

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there.

I know the problem with Blender was the GPL, but in the same fashion vray and Octane are integrated into Blender, maybe with the new standalone the Blender integration can be turned in a commercial addon, the export code may be open source, but as long as the render is produced in the standalone Corona there should not be a problem with GPL and having to give the Corona addon with open source.

And now if Corona standalone supports Alembic and OpenVDB (the latter in the future)and Blender supports Alembic (wich is on it's way) then the integration could be done using Alembic instead of OBJ's like right now because I doubt we can export a fluid mesh using OBJ's and get the correct render result or an optimal file size for an animation.

Blender is becoming more and more important (along with C4D and Modo of course) with people planning to leave Autodesk, and this is not only said by me but it's a trend that many companies are seeing, dev team I can give you my source about this trend, but in private to respect them, but I can say it's a big and important company in the 3d business and they are seeing this in their clients, also my Autodesk reseller told me that too...

What do you think dev team? people?

Cheers.

2016-03-16, 12:49:04
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we are still not planning to do the exporter ourselves, but we have powerful and documented standalone format, so if anyone does the exporter (like joel did in past), it will work.

BTW: We no longer need OBJs, standalone now supports Corona proxy format (which is also open)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-16, 22:49:02
Reply #2

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good to know Ondra!

I still hope you will develop the project inhouse, but in any case is good to know that it can be done from the outside, the Blender community is very active :D

Cheers!

2016-04-06, 11:23:33
Reply #3

bnzs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we are still not planning to do the exporter ourselves
just wondering - simply hypothetically - how much need be donated to corona team for write (or update existing) exporter to blender?

2016-06-07, 18:21:28
Reply #4

Kramon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we are still not planning to do the exporter ourselves
just wondering - simply hypothetically - how much need be donated to corona team for write (or update existing) exporter to blender?

+1

2016-06-07, 21:48:24
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is where the development by ohsnapitsjoel stops...

Posted on 15-Feb-16, 05:52
I made some changes and have been able to update the scene and material export, but I was having issues with the render starting. I don't know why this is. The standalone application will launch a scene just fine if I use the command line, but it'll just hang and never start rendering when launched from Blender. I can commit the WIP code to the repository, but I don't know that it'll do you much good right now. A lot of features are disabled because of the new format -

-Material nodes
-Motion blur of any kind
-The new compressed binary object format (which would allow deformation motion blur)
-UI exposure of the new UHD cache properties (though how much really needs to be exposed anyway?). It's set as the integrator by default, and changing the option in the UI doesn't alter that.
-None of the new "maps" for materials are included.

Edit: I'm attaching a VERY developmental version of the addon updated with my changes to date.

Attached Files
render_corona_1.9.4_DEV.zip (369.6 KB, 84 views)
source: BlenderArtists.org

Haven't tested it, thus can give no comment.

2016-08-04, 08:19:28
Reply #6

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blender exporter for Corona
I have cloned what Joel started and have some basic scenes/mesh lights/materials going but my biggest problem right now is a crash during the material preview.

I attached the minidump from the crash and here is my material preview

Command
Code: [Select]
Corona_Release.exe -mtlPreview < matpreview.stdin
matpreview.stdin
1.0 200 150 matpreview.png <materialDefinition name="Preview"><material class="Native"><diffuse>0.18 0.18 0.18</diffuse><reflect><color>0.09 0.06 0.43</color><glossiness>0.13</glossiness><ior>8.00</ior></reflect></material></materialDefinition>
As you can see this is pretty much the most basic material to render

Corona version:
BUILD_DATE: Apr 10 2016 21:01:27, internal color space: Wide RGB
Defines:

2016-08-04, 10:29:55
Reply #7

avl

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-04, 13:01:14
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, even tho, very nice to see some movement...

2016-08-04, 18:22:40
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
uploading new standalone now...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-05, 13:26:25
Reply #10

avl

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-05, 13:46:22
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
fixed on dropbox

2016-08-08, 08:37:22
Reply #12

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That is excellent thanks!  The material preview now works correctly.  Now I need to get the rest of the properties exporting correctly

2016-08-08, 09:19:17
Reply #13

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Diffuse textures work inside the standalone render but I can't get it to work with the -matPreview

The tex.png file is there and works with a normal scene that uses the same material format

Command
Corona_Release.exe -mtlPreview
License info:
Demo license active.
Activated until: 2016-08-18

0.30 232 253 C:\dev\matpreview.png
<material class="Native"><diffuse><map class="ToneMap"><child><map class="Texture"><image>C:\dev\tex.png</image><uvMap><mode>uvw</mode><scale>1.00 1.00 1.0</scale><offset>0.00 0.00 1.0</offset></uvMap></map></child><multiplier>1.00</multiplier></map></diffuse><reflect><color>1.00 1.00 1.00</color><glossiness>1.00</glossiness><ior>8.00</ior></reflect></material>
^Z

ERROR: Fatal error in mtl-XML file: 'STDIN': Texture with file name: 'c:/dev/tex.png' not found/not accesible

Many thanks!

2016-08-08, 13:01:52
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
fixed, new build is out

2016-08-08, 14:38:31
Reply #15

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That works like magic :)

Making some good progress now.

Thanks

2016-08-11, 23:45:33
Reply #16

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It appears that using a globalMedium causes a crash on the last build.

This is the assertion that fails:
File: ..\..\CoronaLib\io\XmlValidator.cpp
Line: 68
Condition: &validatedNode
Build timestamp: Aug  8 2016 12:57:04, OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (6.1.7601)

I attached a small demonstration scene to reproduce the error.

Remove the globalMedium definition and the scene works

2016-08-16, 05:54:41
Reply #17

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A few more questions:

1. using -mtlPreview how can I specify material maps correctly? Do I have to inline all their definitions? This can be quite tricky for some complex graphs

2. using -mtlPreview the documentation says that writing \0 to the stream will trigger the render and leave the process running.  I can't seem to trigger that, it appears that closing stdin is the only way to trigger the render and it exits the process.

3. the https://corona-renderer.com/wiki/standalone/mtl-maps doesn't appear to be up to date with the standalone executable, is that because I am using a preview version?  If so is there any info on when updated documentation might become available?

Thanks very much for any feedback.

2016-08-16, 11:16:34
Reply #18

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A few more questions:

1. using -mtlPreview how can I specify material maps correctly? Do I have to inline all their definitions? This can be quite tricky for some complex graphs

2. using -mtlPreview the documentation says that writing \0 to the stream will trigger the render and leave the process running.  I can't seem to trigger that, it appears that closing stdin is the only way to trigger the render and it exits the process.

3. the https://corona-renderer.com/wiki/standalone/mtl-maps doesn't appear to be up to date with the standalone executable, is that because I am using a preview version?  If so is there any info on when updated documentation might become available?

Thanks very much for any feedback.

1) yes, you have to inline it currently. The use-case here is automated export, so it should not be a dealbreaker though

2) I tried it and it works, can you try the attached file?

3) I try to keep it up-to-date (with the daily builds version), have you spotted any specific problems?

2016-08-16, 12:22:34
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It appears that using a globalMedium causes a crash on the last build.

This is the assertion that fails:
File: ..\..\CoronaLib\io\XmlValidator.cpp
Line: 68
Condition: &validatedNode
Build timestamp: Aug  8 2016 12:57:04, OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (6.1.7601)

I attached a small demonstration scene to reproduce the error.

Remove the globalMedium definition and the scene works
<globalMedium> needs full material definition now, not only string with material name. I updated the documentation, and I will also update the application so it does not crash but does proper error message

2016-08-16, 13:42:50
Reply #20

avl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The problem probably, that an internal I/O buffer is not flushed. E.g. \0 resides in a buffer and Corona haven't seen it.
Something like this should help, if using python (can't test right now the code, but the idea should be clear)
a = subprocess.run(['Corona_Release.exe', '-mtlPreview'], stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
a.stdin.write('0.3 200 200 test.png\n')
a.stdin.write('<material class="Native"><diffuse>0.8 0.8 0.8</diffuse></material>\n\0')
a.stdin.flush()
« Last Edit: 2016-08-16, 14:15:00 by avl »

2016-08-17, 07:13:40
Reply #21

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
globalMedium works great fully specified

1. Ok thanks for the info, will modify the material preview output
2. It was some funny behavior of Python that prevented me from seeing this works (had to use bufsize=1 and universal_newlines=True).  This improves the material preview speed quite a bit.
3. The documentation is actually very good and I appreciate that it is there at all!
Only the Native material has some changes that aren't in the documentation
Native Material
alphaMode Missing
bsdfFlags Missing
displacement Missing (assume map)
castsShadows Not Available

<reflect>
bsdfType Missing

<volume>
sssMode Missing

Thanks once again for your help with this.

2016-08-17, 14:11:09
Reply #22

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
bsdfFlags and sssMode are just experimental/internal and should not be changed ;). Casts shadows was removed, I removed it from the doc. Alpha mode was added to the doc. Displacement will be added when its support is finalized

2016-08-17, 14:11:30
Reply #23

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
btw what are you using the standalone for? ;)

2016-08-17, 22:25:42
Reply #24

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
btw what are you using the standalone for? ;)

I forked Joels blender exporter and have the majority of it working correctly, there are still a few areas that need to be cleaned up:
  • Matrials UI
  • Add new node based maps
  • Implement new binary object exporter

https://bitbucket.org/blanchg/render_corona/overview

Thanks for the quick replies it has made this process much easier !!

2016-08-18, 01:14:46
Reply #25

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great!
Thank you, thank you both for your contributions.
If any help with testing and such will be needed along the way...

2016-08-18, 10:43:27
Reply #26

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool, let me know if you need any help. You can also contact me on skype if you want quicker answers

2016-08-21, 22:33:46
Reply #27

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am having trouble with environment textures:

File: ..\..\CoronaStandalone\maps\Maps.cpp
Line: 123
Condition: uvMapper

Using this in the scn file:
  <environment>
    <map class="Texture">
      <image>C:\Chocofur_Free_HDR_01\Chocofur_Free_HDR_01.jpg</image>
    </map>
  </environment>

Same thing happens using a .hdr file

Thanks!

2016-08-22, 10:24:17
Reply #28

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I am having trouble with environment textures:

File: ..\..\CoronaStandalone\maps\Maps.cpp
Line: 123
Condition: uvMapper

Using this in the scn file:
  <environment>
    <map class="Texture">
      <image>C:\Chocofur_Free_HDR_01\Chocofur_Free_HDR_01.jpg</image>
    </map>
  </environment>

Same thing happens using a .hdr file

Thanks!

Fixed, new build coming in!
BTW you should add me on skype, to make this feedback loop faster ;)

2016-09-28, 19:46:55
Reply #29

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

I WANT CORONA, and I'm using blender.
These days I thought about making a kickstarter campaign to fund some dev to create an opensource exporter addon or a dedicated blender version like for vray or octane.

I don't know anything about both crowdfunding and dev, so what do you think about it? Is there anything already in progress? Could it be done? Which would be a fund goal? Anybody interested?

2016-09-28, 23:30:21
Reply #30

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Alan,

There is progress being made here https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/overview (disclaimer, I am the developer)

It works, there are still some things that could be improved so please submit any issues you find https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/issues?status=new&status=open

This is based off the previous work by Joel, updated to work with Corona Standalone 1.5+

Kickstarters work well though you need a good sized population to make it happen, unfortunately if you count the number of people who use blender and want to use Corona then that number is quite small :)

2016-09-29, 10:10:02
Reply #31

adamadam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Glen,

At least stick a tips jar on the bottom of your Bitbucket page :)

I'm keen on transferring over to Blender from Max and if I could have a combination of Corona and Blender on OSX I'd be very happy to contribute.

Adam

2016-09-29, 18:01:44
Reply #32

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all thanks for your works (I'm currently not able to make it work, but one step at the time)

Kickstarters work well though you need a good sized population to make it happen, unfortunately if you count the number of people who use blender and want to use Corona then that number is quite small :)

I know blender has not that much of critical mass professionals user base especially in combination with corona, however, I think that with a better integrated version, easier to install, it could grow easily. I'm a Blender trainer mostly in the archviz field and this specific combination I think it could be really good.
A crowdfunding campaign could really be the tool to understand if there are enough interested users.
How many devs do you think it would be needed? Time and costs? Just to have an idea.

There is progress being made here https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/overview (disclaimer, I am the developer) It works, there are still some things that could be improved so please submit any issues you find https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/issues?status=new&status=open This is based off the previous work by Joel, updated to work with Corona Standalone 1.5+

So I've tried the corona version 2016-08-22 (dropbox folder) , succesfully installed the addon, set the .exe filepath and project path, but it doesn't start the render, or for better say, it start the render but is not launching the standalone of corona.

What am I missing?

2016-09-30, 00:48:29
Reply #33

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you can have a look at Blenders console (On Windows choose Window \ Toggle Console)

That might give you a hint,

The most common thing is setting up a temporary export directory, this is on the main render settings (camera icon) right down the bottom.

2016-09-30, 00:59:00
Reply #34

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How many devs do you think it would be needed? Time and costs? Just to have an idea.

Well it currently works for the majority of static scenes, it needs to be improved in some areas like native Blender duplicated object handling, IES profile rotation and animation with motion blur etc.  The largest issue I have is that I need people to actually use the exporter so that all the edge cases and bugs get exposed.  Unfortunately I am a developer and don't know how to fully use blender and all it's wonderful tools (though I am starting to learn).

2016-09-30, 01:42:03
Reply #35

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Glen,

At least stick a tips jar on the bottom of your Bitbucket page :)

I'm keen on transferring over to Blender from Max and if I could have a combination of Corona and Blender on OSX I'd be very happy to contribute.

Adam

I am keen for someone else to test the OS X version with Blender.  I don't have access to an OS X machine right now, the latest version should have fixed OS X

2016-09-30, 10:04:05
Reply #36

adamadam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll give it a run at the weekend.

I'm still learning with Blender but I'm reasonably familiar with Corona on Max. I'll be happy to help out if possible.

2016-09-30, 11:05:29
Reply #37

ask3r

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!
Thanks for your work on exporter.
I didn't try it yet - I'll do some tests in my spare time.
I'm planning slowly to turn away from max to blender.
Blender + Corona would be powerfull combination!

2016-09-30, 16:21:37
Reply #38

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you can have a look at Blenders console (On Windows choose Window \ Toggle Console)

That might give you a hint,

The most common thing is setting up a temporary export directory, this is in the main render settings (camera icon) right down the bottom.

I still didn't get what's wrong.

As soon as I'm able to get it run I will do some tests.

2016-09-30, 16:51:58
Reply #39

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Error: Something went wrong, unable to write .conf file. Check directory permissions of export directory.

Windows doesn't allow modifying that directory by an external app...

2016-09-30, 17:25:47
Reply #40

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see, so I moved the project file path to an external drive, that solve that error but now i got this.
It seems to not find some file. Is he referring to the line above? If so what's missing?

Thanks

2016-09-30, 21:05:56
Reply #41

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see, so I moved the project file path to an external drive, that solve that error but now i got this.
It seems to not find some file. Is he referring to the line above? If so what's missing?

Thanks

Try putting corona on a local drive, I will see if python can launch from a network drive later. Thanks for testing I will add error messages for these scenarios.

2016-09-30, 21:08:13
Reply #42

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right now is already on local drive. It's on the desktop actually, I moved to the external drive (a network hardrive - NAS) just the project folder where the conf. file is.

2016-09-30, 21:35:37
Reply #43

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right now is already on local drive. It's on the desktop actually, I moved to the external drive (a network hardrive - NAS) just the project folder where the conf. file is.

For now Pit everything local and try, I will look at Nas etc soon

2016-09-30, 21:40:10
Reply #44

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok so, guess what, I've just tried the opposite by moving all to the NAS and now it's working. If I move everything on local drive gets the error I've posted above.

2016-10-03, 15:21:59
Reply #45

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@blanchg So, as I said by moving everything on an external drive I solve the errors I get. I assume that my windows system it's the reason due to permission issues as Burnin said.

Now, I've tested in a simple scene and I didn't have problems by launching the render, everything ran smooth. On the other side for a good usability, I think that real-time preview of the scene (like in max) it's necessary  especially because right now the simple material preview doesn't update correctly when you play with values. Also, editing materials can be done in the material editor and the node editor, but in the material editor things like glossy texture aren't available like instead does in the node editor.

So shading usability along with the few node input to me feels the most undeveloped area.

2016-10-03, 15:59:04
Reply #46

alan zirpoli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Other problems i found. IES profile doesn't allow the render to start. Blender point light object it's not supported.

2016-10-03, 21:53:51
Reply #47

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback,

Yes there are some cases where the preview won't update, also making more than one change finishes the last change before starting the next, I might be able to fix that.

With glossy textures in material editor are the values not available or do they just not work?

The few IES profiles I have tried work (unless I broke them again) but they don't support rotating the lights.  Can you please show the console output to see what is wrong?

Blender point lights won't work as Corona doesn't support them. The plugin tells you that and you get better results either using the Sun or the emitters anyway.

Real-time scene preview can't happen until Corona Standalone has a change to output it's progress during rendering or supports updates to the materials while it is running.

There are some things that can be done to make the workflow follow Blender a little better keep so sending them through.  Adding them to the issues list on bitbucket let's me track them and allows others to vote on the issues that are important to them.

« Last Edit: 2016-10-03, 23:12:32 by blanchg »

2016-10-11, 23:50:39
Reply #48

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Ondra.

Just an inquiry, if now that 1.5 is released for max, can we expect newer SA build?

2016-10-12, 00:55:11
Reply #49

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just an inquiry, if now that 1.5 is released for max, can we expect newer SA build?

Standalone is available from the latest release https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mswauuv1afec8am/AAA5OKrd_QujokDM3mxQ7S40a

Just choose the extract option in the installer then you can find an updated standalone in the installation directory.
« Last Edit: 2018-03-12, 15:23:14 by maru »

2016-10-12, 14:33:47
Reply #50

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
not even extract - go for "custom" installation and then check standalone to be installed

2016-10-16, 09:39:37
Reply #51

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great!

Thanks for that info.

But testing it with the latest corona blender integration crashes with Blender 2.78 and even with Blender 2.77
It started to render and open up the corona render viewport then crashes.
Is there a major change from SA 2016-8-22 to latest 1.5 SA build?
« Last Edit: 2016-10-16, 11:27:49 by jKLman »
"Jack of all trade, but messing up with 3D"
Blender 2.78 Corona Standalone 1.5 / 2016-10-24 Alpha
Win 10 64bit

2016-10-19, 22:49:58
Reply #52

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, blanchg & Ondra

Ah... SA from the latest release (with Max) needs licence? The SA 2016-08-22 doesn't. Am just a passionate explorer.
Still, more than enough... till the next one then ;) 

Biiig thanks

2016-10-24, 16:08:54
Reply #53

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, the one bundled with the 3dsmax build requires a license (otherwise we would have to bundle core with different licensing checks, which is +10MB for installer size). I am building a version that does not need it, I will put it in the usual place

2016-10-24, 16:38:49
Reply #54

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
uploaded

2016-10-24, 17:32:47
Reply #55

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great, Thanks Ondra.
Win 10 64bit

2016-10-30, 01:02:52
Reply #56

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-11-04, 17:58:26
Reply #57

Riofranco

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys :)
I'm very interesting to use Corona with Blender, and if there's an addon to work with it will be a real pleasure to buy a license :) But I can't succeed to use Corona with Blender for now, can we have a tutorial to install the last addon ? Actually I use Corona alpha6 with Blender 2.75a ( over this release of Blender don't work :/)

2016-11-05, 01:03:59
Reply #58

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's all in the thread ;)
To make it a bit easier, start here (page 3) and follow the links...
& If any problems arise along the way, just ask.
Enjoy

2016-11-05, 02:35:24
Reply #59

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm very interesting to use Corona with Blender, and if there's an addon to work with it will be a real pleasure to buy a license :) But I can't succeed to use Corona with Blender for now, can we have a tutorial to install the last addon ? Actually I use Corona alpha6 with Blender 2.75a ( over this release of Blender don't work :/)

You have to use the Blender 2.76 and above and use the latest Standalone build 2016-8-22. Burnin show you the link.
Any issue  just post along here. We may be able to figure it out together.
Win 10 64bit

2016-11-07, 19:21:29
Reply #60

Riofranco

• Users
    • View Profile
Really thanks for the link on page 3 ( sorry I di'nt see it before :/ ) and for fast reply :)
It works fine for me with blender 2.78a but comparing with the older version I have ( blender 2.75 + plugin v0.192 from chocofur tutorial) it's really slower. I get much better results without noise ( and without option "denoising" used), maybe I did something wrong but my tests were made with default render settings in both case. rying to show it later...

2016-11-07, 20:59:38
Reply #61

Riofranco

• Users
    • View Profile
Finally I took the time to make a small test comparison ;)

Lot of differences, but if I did it right, the same material/render settings were applied, I join the both files version here http://www.filedropper.com/coronaversionscomparison

2016-11-07, 21:48:42
Reply #62

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the test images. I can only guess at the possible causes.

What render do you use in 1.5? Did you try with VPL I found I got good results with that. Also check samples, number of bounces etc there appears to be some more complex rendering in 1.5 compared to the Alpha which likely has some effect on render times.

2016-11-08, 00:29:13
Reply #63

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ugh, dont use VPLs please ;) They support almost no feature, and can produce very slow/incorrect results. Even if you managed to not break it yet, I would highly suggest sticking with just PT+PT or PT+UHD

2016-11-08, 00:37:55
Reply #64

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-11-10, 13:51:17
Reply #65

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Finally I took the time to make a small test comparison ;)

Lot of differences, but if I did it right, the same material/render settings were applied, I join the both files version here http://www.filedropper.com/coronaversionscomparison

Try the latest exporter version, the primary/secondary solvers are displayed in the UI correctly now, use the Progressive Renderer type and Path Tracing primary and UHDCache secondary, this gives some pretty good results by itself, then if you turn on Full denoise instead of just Fireflies it will smooth the results out (don't forget to use the stop button and then it will apply the denoise)

2016-11-10, 14:38:45
Reply #66

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you.

& a couple of notes:
- Downloads on the repository is not giving the latest version or something is mixed up. At least versions are tagged differently and show different behavior.
ie. latest v2.0.20 = from Downloads gives 9bc047e96d17 VS 386ff57bc6c5 from Tags)

*Maybe it's just me being confused... :D

- Latest available standalone is 2016-10-24

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*edit
Sorry if am wrong, a bit confused. Been involved with other stuff & tools, so hopefully will continue with more thorough testing on Corona soon.
Oh, have noticed much improvements (organized menus, connected materials to nodes :D)... working well at first glance.
GREAT WORK, THANKS!

« Last Edit: 2016-11-10, 15:01:43 by burnin »

2016-11-10, 18:13:32
Reply #67

Riofranco

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys ! :)
I've been a little bit confused, I didn't find how to set PT+UHDCache ( I launched any kind of method, stop it immediately and choose PT+Cache in " Change GI algorithm" in Corona VFB :p )
I didn't get the last plugin... maybe there's must be a link on first post, uploaded each time for an easy search ;)
Anyway it works fine for me ( tested with Blender 2.77) :)
I'm making some test, I will share my scene later

2016-11-10, 20:20:55
Reply #68

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@burnin the difference between 9bc047e96d17 and 386ff57bc6c5 were readme changes made through the bitbucket website (makes for easier image uploads) the actual code is the same in both, apologies if that is a little unclear.  I will always tag commits that have code changes so you can be sure that the latest tag is equivalent to the latest master release.

@riofranco there is a latest.zip link on the first line of the home page that will always give you the latest released version.

You can verify the version by the included version.txt file in the download.

2016-11-11, 08:36:40
Reply #69

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks of the update, IES file is now working. need to test more and build a nice render.

The new UI for the GI renderer is much better with the Primary solver and Secondary solver in one place. Neat!

Win 10 64bit

2016-11-17, 21:55:52
Reply #70

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Works very well. I'll make a nice interior render asap as well and test your every version from now on.
And waiting commercial release of standalone of Corona, I 'm in...

2016-11-17, 21:57:56
Reply #71

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Works very well. I'll make a nice interior render asap as well and test your every version from now on.
And waiting commercial release of standalone of Corona, I 'm in...

Excellent, thanks to all for your help testing, I am primarily a developer and we all know how artistic developers can be :D

2016-11-18, 07:44:07
Reply #72

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much  for your awesome work, won't be ignored by the community so sure...

My main problem is, viewport shading is not working for me. Couldn't see the textures actually.

And a question:

Any info about interactive rendering?

2016-11-18, 10:23:14
Reply #73

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much  for your awesome work, won't be ignored by the community so sure...

My main problem is, viewport shading is not working for me. Couldn't see the textures actually.

And a question:

Any info about interactive rendering?

Could you provide the logs/terminal output for any errors you have.  The usual error is not providing an export directory so that I can write out the temporary files needed for Corona.

As far as interactive rendering, that isn't really possible without a lot of work from Corona renderer and the exporter and even then it won't work because it just isn't integrated into blender. 

Besides the Corona standalone provides some valuable tools even during rendering (regions etc.) that it isn't really desirable anyway.

2016-11-18, 13:28:08
Reply #74

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Solved it my bad sorry...

Saw lightmix option  in Corona VFB but couldn't find necessary elements. Not implemented yet?

----------
Yes, you are right, interactive rendering is not a must. But good to know to have...

« Last Edit: 2016-11-18, 13:36:04 by warlock »

2016-11-19, 03:29:56
Reply #75

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No I haven't figured out the right light mix parameters just yet maybe the end of next week

2016-11-21, 09:59:38
Reply #76

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My sample scene is going very well so far, actually almost finish...

Some wishes and questions also  may be help you to plan your priorities:

1. I wish to use some nodes especially color correction, bump map node, normal bump map node etc.  If I changed Corona mat to node, bump intensity is missing. Bump node and some cyclelish math nodes might be help. I think they would be implemented over time.

2. What about Corona displacement, couldn't find it under modifiers. How can i solve displacement problem for now? Any idea?

Overall, good to feel Corona's power with Blender and I wish other Blender users support this topic. Come on guys, Corona rocks!  And I've still  hope Corona devs support Blender addon developer officially...

2016-11-21, 10:12:16
Reply #77

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My sample scene is going very well so far, actually almost finish...

Some wishes and questions also  may be help you to plan your priorities:

1. I wish to use some nodes especially color correction, bump map node, normal bump map node etc.  If I changed Corona mat to node, bump intensity is missing. Bump node and some cyclelish math nodes might be help. I think they would be implemented over time.

2. What about Corona displacement, couldn't find it under modifiers. How can i solve displacement problem for now? Any idea?

Overall, good to feel Corona's power with Blender and I wish other Blender users support this topic. Come on guys, Corona rocks!  And I've still  hope Corona devs support Blender addon developer officially...

1.The nodes that are there are all the control that I have, there is a math node already though it doesn't have quite the same options as cycles.  Any more options will need to be raised with the corona Devs.

2. Corona uses adaptive displacement based on pixel sizes by default, so you add in the bump/displacement map then in the render settings adjust the displacement parameters.

Thanks for the suggestions though keep them going.

2016-11-22, 01:00:34
Reply #78

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
bump intensity is missing.

I just had another look and it is missing from the texture node along with some other parameters!  Will do another release probably later today.

2016-11-22, 07:01:42
Reply #79

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-11-22, 08:53:25
Reply #80

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
2.2.0 has now been released and includes the bump strength and gamma for texture nodes

2016-11-24, 18:50:20
Reply #81

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
An exterior test... not perfect yet but @blanchg's hardwork on the exporter shows and of course of Ondra and team's effort
on the Standalone version.
Win 10 64bit

2016-11-24, 19:48:01
Reply #82

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your test. Good enough to ask my question :D

How did you managed to adjust/set HDR map's  intensity?

Actually my interior test is almost finished. I noticed some "things" might be bug or something else that I didn't manage to solve...

1. When I select corona engine, physics tab of blender is dissappearing... 
2. Is there any poly count limitation on current corona alpha version. Didn't let me add some intense geometry like blanked and pillows?
3. I think corona's current alpha standalone version is using different antialiasing method than max version. Edge of objects are not clear as max one..
4. Bump is little weird. Trying to use to it..

Overall thank you for your hard work.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-24, 20:05:04 by warlock »

2016-11-24, 20:52:31
Reply #83

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@jKLman nice work!

@warlock
For HDR intensity will a Tone Map node work for you or the recently added gamma?

1. I see the physics tab still (though haven't used it with corona though yet)
2. There probably isn't a hard limit but very complex objects might not export correctly, try using/not using the binary object export option on the Render tab
3. Does the 3dsmax use some denoise by default?  The blender denoise default is fireflies only and fairly low strength.  AntiAliasing is turned on, the "path samples" under sampling is called giToAaRatio so increasing/decreasing that value will likely have an effect
4. Not sure what I can do to improve this.

Examples are on the overview page of some of these features in action: https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona

2016-11-25, 11:45:12
Reply #84

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your valuable answers blanchg... New "big preview window" is awesome!

I've just finished my interior test scene (will be uploaded here soon) and I want to share my final toughts about current "corona standalone alpha" version and "blender exporter."..

1. Yes exporter is geometry sensitive. Especially dense objects like blankets, pillows etc... Most dangerous situation, didn't see on current version of Vray standalone. We must be very careful for this, most annoying thing for an artist. I tried both mesh import methods (binary as well)  don't work on some models. I take windows error for corona and corona stops rendering.

2. Mesh based lighting.  It works surprisingly good but, include/exclude objects from specific lights and for more advanced setups, we need real lights like max version of Corona... And need options for visibility (might be nodes like cycles or under objects setup)  for diffuse, specular, reflection, refraction  etc..

3. Corona light material doesn't work well with textures. I need independent self illumination slot for corona material that doesn't effect lighting calculations. Only for realistic results.

4. I need environment map  light  multiplier option asap :D Gamma is for different purposes... I couldn't convert it to nodes...

5. We need some handy nodes like Cycles'. Output, color correction, math nodes(same ui would be good) and other Cycle nodes would be good for Corona standalone.

6. Lightmix for us would be awesome asap :D

Overall, this was interesting for me. Feeling power of Corona on Blender makes me smile.  Corona team have unique ideas would make Corona for Blender unbeatable...

Blender users waiting for denoiser for Cycles.  Cycles is a total package, needs only an effective denoiser implementation. Corona will be very good alternative to Vray and especially to Cycles!

Thank you guys for your hard work and waiting for new release(s)to test and be quick for final release please ;)

« Last Edit: 2016-11-26, 11:27:10 by warlock »

2016-11-27, 23:48:33
Reply #85

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice work @warlock!

1. Do you have an example extracted portion of your scene or some specifics, I would like to see why it fails, either memory or bug in the exporter, I don't know of any hard limits and would be nice to provide some details even if it can't be fixed.

2. Light visibility can be controlled on more of a global level with opacity (it will still show up in reflections) and combing that with the Ray Switcher node you can control reflect, refract, direct light paths.  I don't know if there is a way to make lights affect only certain objects off the top of my head, but if you could export a scene from max that does this so I can see the node setup that would help.

3. If you can provide a max exported scene that does what you want I can see how this would work in blender.

4. This is something I think I can do.... give me a day or two to work it out I might be able to link the nodes to this.

5. I can't create node types, I can only provide the nodes that corona exports see https://corona-renderer.com/wiki/standalone for the doco on the node types (if anything is missing that you need I can add it)

6. An example exported from max would be nice so I can work this out quicker too!

If you can get me some of these samples it will help me implement some of these faster.  I will raise issues for most of these at https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/issues?status=new&status=open so that example files can be uploaded and we can track them.

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

2016-11-28, 16:47:26
Reply #86

morozane

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your incradible work @blanchg!

Here's an interior test i'v just render using corona exporter.

One problem i'v faced: can't use opacity maps. It's produce an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\engine.py", line 353, in render
    render_start( self, scene)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\engine.py", line 38, in render_start
    render_scene( engine, scene)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\engine.py", line 189, in render_scene
    bpy.ops.corona.export_mat()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 189, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\operators\export.py", line 118, in execute
    write_mtl( root, default_mat, mat, None, mtl_mat_name, True)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\outputs.py", line 261, in write_mtl
    addTexture(xml_opacity, crn_mat.map_opacity)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\outputs.py", line 13, in addTexture
    xml_tone = SubElement(target, 'map')
TypeError: must be xml.etree.ElementTree.Element, not str

What am i doing wrong?

EDIT:
When i create a material via the node editor, everything OK. the problem is just when i'm trying to use opacity map via the properties panel.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-28, 16:55:05 by morozane »

2016-11-28, 16:59:21
Reply #87

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your incradible work @blanchg!

Here's an interior test i'v just render using corona exporter.

One problem i'v faced: can't use opacity maps. It's produce an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\engine.py", line 353, in render
    render_start( self, scene)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\engine.py", line 38, in render_start
    render_scene( engine, scene)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\engine.py", line 189, in render_scene
    bpy.ops.corona.export_mat()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 189, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\operators\export.py", line 118, in execute
    write_mtl( root, default_mat, mat, None, mtl_mat_name, True)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\outputs.py", line 261, in write_mtl
    addTexture(xml_opacity, crn_mat.map_opacity)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\render_corona\outputs.py", line 13, in addTexture
    xml_tone = SubElement(target, 'map')
TypeError: must be xml.etree.ElementTree.Element, not str

What am i doing wrong?

EDIT:
When i create a material via the node editor, everything OK. the problem is just when i'm trying to use opacity map via the properties panel.

I suppose to report this too. But opacity is working using material node/ texture node system.
Thanks for the environment map intensity - control - now its working with the HRDI maps.
Win 10 64bit

2016-11-28, 17:16:26
Reply #88

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Wow..nice work, blanchg. Thanks for continuing with this :)

Any support for light include/exclude objects for corona light material node since corona does not support blender lights?

2016-11-28, 22:14:27
Reply #89

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@morozane nice scene!

Any support for light include/exclude objects for corona light material node since corona does not support blender lights?

I have an issue for this https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/issues/41/object-specific-lights, what will help me develop this is a scene that does this in max and exported to standalone so that I can see the node setup that Corona expects

2016-11-29, 00:18:19
Reply #90

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I have an issue for this https://bitbucket.org/coronablender/render_corona/issues/41/object-specific-lights, what will help me develop this is a scene that does this in max and exported to standalone so that I can see the node setup that Corona expects

I see. Unfortunately, I am currently using Corona A6 with 3dsmax. I don't think it has a standalone version.

I hope someone can send you what you need :) Just take your time with it. No pressure and thanks for the work you have done so far:)
« Last Edit: 2016-11-29, 00:24:07 by melviso »

2016-12-01, 07:55:02
Reply #91

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There are quite a few updates since the last post.  Please let me know how it goes:

• Self Illumination
  • Object Specific Lights (connect a Scene Objects node to the Include/Exclude inputs)
  • Connected the Scattering inputs so that SSS works now
  • Fixed the Layered Material node so the weight parameter can have a texture input
  • Updated the general Material node to include Emission then decided it was too big so added a configure box at the top to turn off each feature if you don't need it for a material
  • A beta version of the Curve Node that uses blender curve editor

Some of these changes might require you to delete the main material/linked material nodes and add them again.

2016-12-01, 11:55:18
Reply #92

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-12-01, 15:49:47
Reply #93

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to buy pls take my money :D

Awesome updates, I'll write down my test results asap...  Thank you...

2016-12-02, 09:06:52
Reply #94

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really awesome the fast pace development of the exporter, have not test all the features yet.

For now, @blanchg, please add scene materials or used materials to be exported and imported back so that it can be reuse in a new project or scene without having to redo again all the node setup.

Thank you so much!
Win 10 64bit

2016-12-02, 19:10:00
Reply #95

raiden1983

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My first try with corona and blender

2016-12-02, 22:01:40
Reply #96

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For now, @blanchg, please add scene materials or used materials to be exported and imported back so that it can be reuse in a new project or scene without having to redo again all the node setup.
No library in Blender. This is just how it works. Blender data can be inter-linked, connected or appended. Light weight use.
Just tested, you can append materials from previous scenes. If a Node Tree is used, you have to append that too.

2016-12-03, 19:14:27
Reply #97

Rp2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wow :) so Happy After seeing this Progress.. Blender+Corona :D

oh.. yet No Linux support :( lots of Blender user use Linux !!
« Last Edit: 2016-12-03, 19:32:36 by Rp2 »
Best way to predict the future is to create it..

2016-12-04, 00:54:41
Reply #98

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-12-04, 06:14:06
Reply #99

Rp2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:) Linux version will come... as mentioned here is waiting to be crossed off Corona standalone feature requests.

OK, Now now fingers crossed :)

2016-12-04, 07:16:10
Reply #100

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No library in Blender. This is just how it works. Blender data can be inter-linked, connected or appended. Light weight use.
Just tested, you can append materials from previous scenes. If a Node Tree is used, you have to append that too.

Thanks, will try this....
Win 10 64bit

2016-12-04, 14:09:30
Reply #101

novena

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my online portfolio
Hi blanchg!
First of all I would like to thank you for bringing back to life this great exporter, a couple of years ago I used it and it was a sorrow that Joel could not continue developing it...

1. I wonder if is possible that the materials reflect level can take a texture/map input to control the reflections intensity?
2. Are normal bumps supported?
3. I have not figured out how to make the Ray switch shader work, any ideas? same AO shader... (I use corona + 3D max at work and I know how to make it work)

Here comes a couple of my test images.

best
V

2016-12-04, 17:30:17
Reply #102

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. Lightmix ui is awesome but i can use lightmix under certain element. Glow and denoise is working on lightmix but i can't use them on beauty  layer.
2. Couldn't  understand independent self illumination color and texture support.
3. I tested include exclude  objects from specific lights seems didn't  work for me.

Thank you .

2016-12-04, 22:02:12
Reply #103

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. I wonder if is possible that the materials reflect level can take a texture/map input to control the reflections intensity?
2. Are normal bumps supported?
3. I have not figured out how to make the Ray switch shader work, any ideas? same AO shader... (I use corona + 3D max at work and I know how to make it work)

Nice work!

1. It can already you need to use the nodes though, the nodes are more advanced and tested.
2. Yes they are, just pass your texture through the Normal node and then to the bump input.
3. Documentation rayswitcher is here https://corona-renderer.com/wiki/standalone/mtl-maps#rayswitcher and ao shader needed some changes with the latest 1.5 (exporter version 2.4.5)

1. Lightmix ui is awesome but i can use lightmix under certain element. Glow and denoise is working on lightmix but i can't use them on beauty  layer.
2. Couldn't  understand independent self illumination color and texture support.
3. I tested include exclude  objects from specific lights seems didn't  work for me.

1. Lightmix support was included by trial and error. Are you saying the lightmix doesn't modify the beauty layer?  If so I think that is intentional.  Lightmix is just rendering multiple images 1 for each lightmix layer then being composited back in corona's frame buffer, the beauty layer is another one of these layers.  More details if there is something for me that needs fixing.
2. Self illumination is just a checkbox, I don't know the implementation behind it. This is the documentation for it https://corona-renderer.com/wiki/standalone/mtl#native
3. This definitely works for me, note that at first I didn't think it was working because I was getting reflections on the exclude object from the include object. You can see the difference in the attachments (no exclude, exclude sphere, include plane (which is exclude sphere 2)

2016-12-05, 11:19:02
Reply #104

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your valuable answer...

1. I could't use denoised version with lightmix version. Otherwise, works very well, very similar to Max version... Good job there...

Denoiser effects beauty layer only... Glow effects both( it's ok).

Changing my demo scene. Better and little bit more difficult  interior render is on the way...

2016-12-05, 11:36:56
Reply #105

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah I see now, there is an option in 3dsmax to turn on the denoiser for certain lightmix layers.  Anyone able to export a scene (3dsmax -> corona standalone) for me with those enabled so I can see how it is done? :)

2016-12-14, 16:32:25
Reply #106

Rp2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i install Latest exporter(2.4.8) in Blender(2.78a) & Download standalone Build 2016-10-24 than set "Corona_Release.exe" in blender setting

Corona_Release.exe has stopped working
APPCRASH !!

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Corona_Release.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   580e1a65
  Fault Module Name:   Corona_Release.dll
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   580e1a42
  Exception Code:   c000001d
  Exception Offset:   000000000004d557
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   dba6
  Additional Information 2:   dba6e941162c089585f4b7ee4025e154
  Additional Information 3:   89c0
  Additional Information 4:   89c0b4b799705d4eb528f6794ed6c9b2

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000001d). Click OK to close the application.

"My System"-
win7Ultimate
Amd phenom ii x4 945, 16Gb Ram, Nvidia 750ti

my Processor is not advance! Do i need legacy corona's files? How i can get !! plz Help
[Edit] solve it :) thanks "Glen Blanchard" check here- https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,14324.0.html
« Last Edit: 2016-12-20, 07:17:19 by Rp2 »

2016-12-14, 19:47:43
Reply #107

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it's the way I am exploring the binary object format but have raised a bug for it. Will see if there is anything I can do today

2016-12-14, 22:56:28
Reply #108

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
There are quite a few updates since the last post.  Please let me know how it goes:

• Self Illumination
  • Object Specific Lights (connect a Scene Objects node to the Include/Exclude inputs)
  • Connected the Scattering inputs so that SSS works now
  • Fixed the Layered Material node so the weight parameter can have a texture input
  • Updated the general Material node to include Emission then decided it was too big so added a configure box at the top to turn off each feature if you don't need it for a material
  • A beta version of the Curve Node that uses blender curve editor

Some of these changes might require you to delete the main material/linked material nodes and add them again.

That was fast :) Thanks blanchg for object include/exclude light. Keep up the great work :)

2016-12-31, 00:06:52
Reply #109

novena

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my online portfolio
hello guys,
I have been away 3 weeks on a holiday, so had no chance to test the latests releases... but here comes an image I did to test volumetrics and DOF, done with blender 2.77a and the version 2.4.4 of the exporter.
best
V

2017-01-16, 07:10:11
Reply #110

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-02-02, 07:42:16
Reply #111

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. Reflection glossiness image slot for material settings please (node set up has this)
2. Please give me denoiser for lightmix!
3. Corona devs you are great!
4. Thank you blanchg...
5.Thank you Blender Devs. Ton Roosendaal you are the man!
6. Mustaine for president!

I'll work on better stone wall displacement and more realistic curtain blackouts. And more cameras will be available very soon includes closer,  detailed shots!

Interior design by "paper of man - www.paperofman.com". Thank you for letting me use this room as demo scene...

« Last Edit: 2017-09-28, 14:58:11 by warlock »

2017-02-02, 09:08:12
Reply #112

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome work!, you are right the brick wall needs some displacement :P

1. Reflect Glossiness can already use an image map :) See attached.
2. Hopefully the Corona devs can talk more about this.

2017-02-02, 09:22:43
Reply #113

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1. As a node set up, yes it is there and I'm using it that way anyway. But I mean, without material node, could'nt find it on the material editor. I need a T letter for it :D
Pls look attachments...

Thank you for your valuable answer.

Yeah, wall is almost done. Displacement changed it alot ;)

2017-02-02, 09:29:38
Reply #114

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok I will add it to the material panel.  Sorry for the confusion :)

2017-02-02, 09:38:14
Reply #115

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok I will add it to the material panel.  Sorry for the confusion :)

No problem, you're doing great man , thank you very very  much... :)

Fastest answers and solutions!

2017-02-02, 21:01:50
Reply #116

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-02-04, 12:09:04
Reply #117

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you blanchg, good work...

This second interior attempt of mine, learned alot about corona for blender. Yes I know, it is alpha stage now but this powerful standalone and also plugin has so much potential.

I have couple of suggestions:

1. Cycle style texturing would be awesome. Automatically added textures makes job easier than old style blender engine texture loading.
2. We need more nodes, especially most important ones. Nodes are so important as you know.
3. Real lights would be totally game changer!
4. Displacement for material editor please, node setup has one already.
5. Denoiser for lightmix

Overall, for this early stage, standalone has so much potential and engine looks solid. blanchg is doing great for free plugin side of blender. May be after lightwave release, devs decide to release official standalone commercial version with free plugin for blender.

Attached images rendered as 20 pass with full denoiser. For post proccessing I only used corona VFB!

« Last Edit: 2017-09-28, 14:58:30 by warlock »

2017-03-23, 06:37:05
Reply #118

Binke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just donated to your paypal Glen, i know the issues around the kickstarter, but what about a Patreon? Even if there really aren't that many blender+corona users, perhaps the monthly donations would help a little bit, and the perks for the donators could be like..maybe they could get access to a discord channel where they can directly discuss bugs/features with you.

This Corona exporter has been a lifesaver on a current task of mine..I do loads of interior concept art for animation/games, and i dont have a fancy GPU at the moment, so Cycles is just too slow for that.. and I dont want to buy 3dsmax or C4D(also dont have time to learn a new 3d app)

Anyways keep up the good work.

2017-03-23, 07:09:40
Reply #119

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks @Binke!

I appreciate the feedback and the donation. Working on this is more of a hobby and I don't expect anything to come out of it, knowing that it is being used is awesome and makes all the work put into it worthwhile for me.

2017-04-20, 16:45:28
Reply #120

warlock

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We have powerful standalone. We have great man to handle exporter very well and he says "i am doing this as an hobby".   Sad!

Dear Corona developers. I wonder what are you waiting for? You can sell your standalone officially and still you can call exporter  "alpha". Like, you know the name of the renderer...

If you are waiting for Interactive, ok worth it. But, others trying to develop exporter for Blender for almost 10 years or more???  And you are at the better place of them right now...

I wonder, what are you planning for "Corona for Blender"?  Thank you...

2017-04-20, 19:44:40
Reply #121

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We?
We have nothing but great gifts, so show some appreciation and understanding.

You? Aren't you happy? Are you missing anything? Then please, help testing, work with it, donate, spread the word...
Or even better, in return create & show something magnificent - artwork, tutorials, intros, film... show your imagination!
...  just, don't whine.

We all evolve & grow slow, so just be grateful that you're able to be here complaining.   
Even Blender is miniscule compared to other tools in the Capital Industry, luckily it's source is open & free.

Some of us don't strive on the material wealth, it's just another tool, as you may one day become ;)

PS
Am not indulging in further debate.
Off.

BTW
For product to be commercially viable (professional production ready) first must be practically proven in production... or risk to parish sooner than you can think of another paradox.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-20, 19:50:08 by burnin »

2017-04-21, 01:20:49
Reply #122

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Corona devs have been amazing in supporting the development.  I personally am not in a position to work on this as more than a hobby (family/full time work etc.).

The Corona/Blender community have been excellent with some stepping forward and supporting other users.

What we do need is people using this combination and providing feedback/issues/suggestions, this how it will improve and gain momentum.

I like the enthusiasm use it to show off what the Corona/Blender combination can do

2017-07-02, 23:33:52
Reply #123

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Ondra!

Please, would you kindly update Corona Stand Alone build that is used for Corona Blender bridge?

Since the latest released from 2017-01-17 has few noticeable blockers (with IES lights, terminator/shading artifacts...) preventing more intricate testing and work on development. Although hobbyistic, it means very much to me (probably to few others as well).

Also Blender 2.79 (Release Notes & Test Build avilable) is on the way, opening a window to ride the wave.

TIA
and for everything ever since
:)
« Last Edit: 2017-07-02, 23:37:48 by burnin »

2017-07-03, 11:30:48
Reply #124

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Ondra!

Please, would you kindly update Corona Stand Alone build that is used for Corona Blender bridge?

Since the latest released from 2017-01-17 has few noticeable blockers (with IES lights, terminator/shading artifacts...) preventing more intricate testing and work on development. Although hobbyistic, it means very much to me (probably to few others as well).

Also Blender 2.79 (Release Notes & Test Build avilable) is on the way, opening a window to ride the wave.

TIA
and for everything ever since
:)

Hi,
any of the daily builds for 3dsmax contain the standalone in it, that is why I havent updated that folder

2017-07-03, 17:02:47
Reply #125

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, i know, IIRC... version must be bought & licensed.
Still not an Autodesk's 3DS Max client. Tried once in 2004, left for good. Nevermind then ;)

For what I do to get by Blender/Cycles is just fine & dandy.
ie. Cycles 15min @ original2K on GPU

Am here more for a good spirit & in hope to help the Corona-Blender community. If things go well with it, i might subscribe.

2017-07-03, 17:44:36
Reply #126

Higashi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dude that's a nice clean image you got there. Does the floor have a normal map? I can't seem to get my normal maps to work at all and have any control over them.

2017-07-03, 21:35:30
Reply #127

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi & thanks for the compliment on the pleasing image :D
sincerely i can't see what others see in it, but as it brings cash and makes others happy i accept it as such.
It's just an example from Cycles used in commercial work. Simple bump map ;) and a good lighting did the trick for the designer's eye.
For me it's merely model-texture-composite & painting with light & shadow, finding the balance between time, client's wishes and my ego. Which is hard to satisfy, for it 'everything sucks!' Why i also don't show my works.

About Corona SA... would like to use it more, even commercially, but in state it is now, for me is not efficient... also has couple of showstoppers preventing bugfree production. So i help testing, providing feedback to the single volunteer developer when i can. Without motivational perseverance that blanchg (Glen) shows and hope that Joel gave when he started, this would be just lying dead.

Was also thinking about project based written tutorial... but too many times i hit the wall or some hurdle. Which i hate, as am not a competitor, but a visitor who wants to enjoy and share.  The above image is part of the scene i wanted (already started) to translate & share the process of... from old house photos (elders moved on) through envisioning a bright future for the young family moving in. ;)

BTW
I also have a Maxwell3 license, worked with VRay most of the time, but clients have changed. They demand more complexity (realism), have less time and are getting worse at communication, constructing, providing their vision. So it's basically Cycles (fast iterations) to the rescue.

Finally, it's getting hard to give life to something that starts sucking & draining it out. Like a stale water. Unless it's always flowing, it stays fresh, otherwise (stale) becomes poisoning as bacteria/bugs take over.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-03, 21:44:05 by burnin »

2017-07-04, 11:16:06
Reply #128

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

For me is the opposite, I was using cycles but corona saved me with difficult scenes, specially with the progressive, denoise and lightmix features.

Although Cycles has a denoise option, I always have to increase too much the samples to get rid of splotches, and play a lot with clampling. With corona almost always is fire and forget.

Of course there is some room for improvement, but I'm happy about how is this evolving.

Thanks all, specially blanchg.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-04, 11:21:46 by Asticles »

2017-07-04, 16:02:50
Reply #129

Higashi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would anyone mind just showing me a screenshot of their material node setup? I can't seem to find a setup that works well or have much control.

Funny you mention difficult scenes as in the middle of a project that I'm relying on Cycles for and it's taking much time to render anything cleanly even with desnoising. Was hoping I could use Corona but I don't know if it's ready..

2017-07-04, 22:50:19
Reply #130

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-07-05, 01:54:52
Reply #131

Higashi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Everything really. But for this case just a wood floor with diff, gloss and normal maps. Plugging the normal map into the bump slot seems to totally overpower the material and I have to set the strength to 0.001 in the node. This seems really odd.

2017-07-05, 09:27:12
Reply #132

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, for me bump power should be 0,001 or less.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-05, 10:22:57 by Asticles »

2017-07-05, 10:56:49
Reply #133

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yup, less than 1cm (0.01) :D
Keep in mind that 1 BU (Blender Unit) is equal to 1m and you'll be fine.

ps
IES is fixed :)

2017-07-05, 11:45:36
Reply #134

Higashi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah I see the0.001 power makes sense. I keep thinking Cycles method and it's throwing me curve balls.

2017-07-09, 00:56:38
Reply #135

Pixelatedvertex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, I mostly have 3 zeros between the comma and the number for bump, would be cool, if it took scene units into account. I like to use mm as scene units, so these small numbers make little sense compared to the rest of the scene.

2017-07-09, 01:06:27
Reply #136

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-07-10, 09:25:11
Reply #137

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-07-10, 09:27:07
Reply #138

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think so but that is why the probably is there 😀 I can definitely turn it into a unit aware input but if it breaks all the scenes then I will have to add an option to use old input or new.

2017-07-10, 09:28:42
Reply #139

Asticles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why not internally be the same and only human readable visually.

2017-07-10, 16:10:01
Reply #140

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, i can't see what is wrong with consistency of scale: 1 unit = 1 meter. It is all over Blender. Even in Cycles and 3rd party engines. Is it really that hard to have a consistent thought flow & stable mind?

Why breaking what's not broken?

2017-07-11, 08:04:02
Reply #141

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Old scenes will continue to use the blender units.
New Texture Nodes will use the configured units.
All the values now use 6 decimal places during export so that more control is available for smaller values.

2017-08-13, 01:46:05
Reply #142

novena

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my online portfolio
hi guys
spitfire vs me 109, an experiment with 3d clouds, corona volume material and motion blur, it is full 3D, no photoshop
spitfire & me 109 3d models by Anders Lejczak (www.colacola.se)
software: Blender + Corona renderer (thanks a lot blanchg for such great exporter)
best
V

2017-08-14, 01:59:09
Reply #143

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice work @novena

So the motion blur worked well for the propellers?  I have some small tests but that is a really good scenario!

2017-08-14, 22:51:18
Reply #144

novena

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my online portfolio
Nice work @novena

So the motion blur worked well for the propellers?  I have some small tests but that is a really good scenario!

Many thanks Glen!
Motion blur works like a charm for the propellers, I plan to test a low altitude flight with the camera following the plane, the ground in theory should look motion-blurred... will show my results
regards
V

2017-08-14, 23:35:07
Reply #145

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It should work fine, one of my tests was moving the camera with a cube with other stationary cubes to ensure that movement in the same direction as the camera didn't blur.  Was quite a cool effect.

2017-08-20, 00:15:57
Reply #146

elnino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Website
Hi, Am I the only one not being able to use HDRs from https://hdrihaven.com/ ?
I get this error:
Fatal error in mtl-XML file: 'Scene.scn': Texture with file name:
'D:/..../HDRI/HDRIHAVEN/cedarbridge.hdr' not found/ not accessible
I have no problem with other HDRs

2017-08-20, 22:49:48
Reply #147

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, i discovered there's something strange about Gregs HDRIs when he started - to get them working i resave using Picturenaut, can be done using GIMP, PS... probably any HDRI editing tool

PS
*originals throw same error here

**other HDRIs work fine (ie Paul Debevec Probes, sIBL, OpenFootage HDRI...)
« Last Edit: 2017-08-20, 22:55:58 by burnin »