Author Topic: I need new workstation, is a good time or maybe should I wait?  (Read 2162 times)

2022-06-13, 18:16:35

INgenia

• Active Users
  • I only know that I know nothing
    • View Profile
As I tell you in the title, I am in the needed of a new powerfull WS, but there are a lot info talking about new amd/intel new processors that is a mess up :(
Can someone kindly advise me on this?
Thanks so much.

Best¡

2022-07-05, 12:38:31
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Howdy there!

Yeah from the looks of it its not the best time to be in the market for powerhouse workstations at the moment.

If you can get a hold of a new 3990x / 3995wx for anything reasonable then that's obviously great but you'll probably struggle to get that going given that these chips are so rare these days. You could check in with prebuilt WS makers, they might have some extra supply there but because its gonna be a prebuilt its probably gonna cost moar than a DIY build. At the same time though, if you can't source chips to do a DIY build then that's a no go option in by itself ha!

Alternatively you can try and go for the new 5995wx. These aren't technically out yet for the DIY market but seemingly they will be relatively soon. They might cost around 6500$ so they aren't by any means cheap. That said, given that on my continent a 3995wx, if you can even find one, costs almost 6000$ (or 9000$ in some extreme cases) the 5995wx makes more sense to me.

I'm noticing there's a 3970x / 3975wx or a 3960x here and there still in stock (one or two pieces) and even though they are more expensive than they used to be they still are quite powerful although I'd personally probably just look at the 5000 series at this point. The markup on a 3975wx is so big in a sense that the 5975wx potentially isn't that much costlier percentage wise I guess. Just thinking out loud though because obviously we haven't seen how much the 5000 series actually cost - we just have snippets from various news outlets where AMD confirmed the pricing but retail might have an additional mark up on it.

So that's just my view of the situation at the moment. If you can wait I think that would probably make the most sense imho. Intel will eventually release the Fishhawk Falls / Sapphire rapids workstation parts and potentially that might make AMD adjust their pricing / supply. If the Intel chips are really great well then all the better lol.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-07-07, 08:19:27
Reply #3

INgenia

• Active Users
  • I only know that I know nothing
    • View Profile
The comment is appreciated. As you say, I'll keep waiting to see September.
Thanks again.