Author Topic: Flickering lights in animation  (Read 4724 times)

2015-04-30, 07:54:35

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Jeez, I have a thing that is due soon to a client, and Corona has proved awesome for still frames, but I'm getting a bit worried here about the flickering in animations.

The model is under NDA, but imagine three floors with shipping containers, imported from CAD software, so crappy geometry.
The front walls are cut away from the containers, and there are lights (invisible) in each of the three the containers. There are three lights outside the containers.
Materials are super ultra simple, with an AO on the container metal, that is 200 white, and some tech-stuff inside the containers blue. No reflections, no glossiness, no translucency.
The camera orbits counter-clockwise around the building, no DOF, no motion blur, photographic exposure.
PNG sequence, I've tried between 30 and 25 passes per frame, takes just over two minutes per frame at 25 passes at 1080p.
Path tracing, UHD cache, GI vs AA is 16, Light samples multiplier is 2,0, max sample intensity is 20, max ray depth is 25. Standard stuff.
UHD is still frame (I tried animation flicker free too, no difference, at least I think I did.. Let this be a lesson to you all otherwise to write down your settings..) I calculate the precomp from scratch and discard it. Precision is 1,0 and previz is on.

The lights flicker noticeably.

I'll try to re-render part of the sequence with animation on right away and update this post when I have the results.

2015-04-30, 08:22:27
Reply #1

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Only a couple of frames rendered so far, but it seems like "animation" did it. Sorry for being an idiot, again. =)

2015-04-30, 10:53:51
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are there moving objects or lights in your animation? If not, I would suggest saving the UHD solution and re-using it for all frames. See here:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-04-30, 11:10:19
Reply #3

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Are there moving objects or lights in your animation? If not, I would suggest saving the UHD solution and re-using it for all frames. See here:
Well, there were moving lights, but I guessed they were the problem and solved the animation problem by moving the camera instead. After that the image still flickered though. I'll try the solution you suggested!

2015-04-30, 11:19:25
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you using textured lights?

2015-05-01, 08:06:56
Reply #5

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Are you using textured lights?

Nope!

I'm starting a render now with the suggested settings that seems to be flicker free.
Saving the UHD cache and reusing it, checking "animation"(d'oh!).
I'll get back with the results later in the day.

2015-05-01, 19:33:49
Reply #6

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se

I've rendered out a bunch of frames now and it looks totally beautiful. Thanks!

2015-05-01, 20:00:20
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Cool!