Author Topic: Seaford Court - Timelapse Animation & Stills  (Read 13137 times)

2015-11-20, 18:14:34

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Hi all,

This was our first ever Corona project - an apartment in London. This was a commercial project but the animation is an extra we've been working on behind the scenes. A few noisy areas and some moire issues to address but it was a very good experiment and we're pretty impressed with how Corona handles this sort of work.

We will also publish a full 360-degree Panorama Tour of this apartment soon, once completed.

Hope you enjoy. Timelapse animation and all stills are at the link below:

http://atelieryork.co.uk/seaford-court

Cheers,
« Last Edit: 2015-11-21, 00:27:08 by atelieryork »
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-11-20, 19:02:49
Reply #1

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
W-o-w !
Looks amazing, just saw the full set on your site and it makes very good impression !
Could you alaborate a bit on the lighting ? HDRI or default lights ? Also what is your 'white value in RGB ?

2015-11-20, 20:11:30
Reply #2

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
W-o-w !
Looks amazing, just saw the full set on your site and it makes very good impression !
Could you alaborate a bit on the lighting ? HDRI or default lights ? Also what is your 'white value in RGB ?

Thank you! The lighting is really straightforward and uncomplicated. Daylight system for the CoronaSun and CoronaSky for the environment, but I used the RawaFake model for the sky so I could make it desaturated, to remove the blue cast for the environment lighting, which I didn't want for this. It made it easier to get the whites white and the atmosphere what I wanted. Most of the shots had zero post work in terms of colour correcting. Just noise reduction and Lenscare for the DOF.

I can't remember off the top of my head the RGBs but the main walls everywhere are actually a light grey, not white. The skirting, ceilings, beams, hallway and doors are all white paint. Something like 220 or 218, not sure. For the stills I rendered using Contrast quite high in the CameraMod, something around 6 or so, so I could get that strong stark black and white look. For the animation this was left at 1 so I could rexpose properly in post (I posted about this issue in another thread). All lights are CoronaLights, of course. Some LightMaterials but nothing with Emit on, because it causes crazy flickering.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-20, 21:55:15
Reply #3

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's a fantastic set of images! You've really done the space justice. I very much like that ceiling lamp and the floor lamp in the similar style.

2015-11-20, 22:15:38
Reply #4

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the comprehensive reply! A few more questions if I may ask:
-have you used the sun and sky with default values with highlight compression, or were you lowering the sun intensity ?
-how do you approach the lampshade material ? is it some sort of self ilumination and light source excluding the shade, or regular light source with translucent material ?

2015-11-20, 22:45:15
Reply #5

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Thanks Ricky. I love those lamps too. They're by CTO.

Thank you for the comprehensive reply! A few more questions if I may ask:
-have you used the sun and sky with default values with highlight compression, or were you lowering the sun intensity ?
-how do you approach the lampshade material ? is it some sort of self ilumination and light source excluding the shade, or regular light source with translucent material ?

- yes, sun and sky are on defaults (apart from the sky model as I mentioned earlier)
- lampshade is a very simple material with refraction and a spherical coronalight inside, very straightforward. No exclusions.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-20, 22:50:49
Reply #6

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the info and again, chapeau bas :)

2015-11-20, 22:54:41
Reply #7

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Thank you for the info and again, chapeau bas :)

No worries! It's nice to finally be in a position to show this project. Been in the studio for a while.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-21, 00:42:00
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Beautiful light bokeh, been experimenting with such light too, but not animated... looks great in movement.

Also, took me a second to realize the baroque room was in fact just painting :- D Watched the animation first.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-11-21, 05:55:26
Reply #9

Vantiel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Zach Schwartz's Archives
Really nice work! I like how the light scatters into in the rooms in the animation especially; looks like it's scattering/filtering through tree foliage.

2015-11-21, 09:22:03
Reply #10

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Beautiful light bokeh, been experimenting with such light too, but not animated... looks great in movement.

Also, took me a second to realize the baroque room was in fact just painting :- D Watched the animation first.

Thanks Juraj :) Yes, that was a stroke of genius by the interior designer. The idea was just as you described. It's quite a small space, so the idea was to use that artwork to create a false sense of perspective.

Really nice work! I like how the light scatters into in the rooms in the animation especially; looks like it's scattering/filtering through tree foliage.

Cheers Vantiel! There's a tree outside in the animation, casting those soft dappled shadows, yes. We were very pleased with the way Corona handled light bouncing around with the sun changing.

By the way, some people in the US or otherwise on IPV6 might not be able to view the website until a bit later today. Had to sort some issues with my webhost/domain.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-21, 11:39:09
Reply #11

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2015-11-21, 12:12:38
Reply #12

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
well done!
great mood!

Cheers Belly.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-21, 15:19:30
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Would you be willing to provide us scene for the fireplace shot where there is too much noise inside of the fireplace? I would love to test our denoising/adaptivity for this scene.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-11-21, 16:49:57
Reply #14

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Good work! Just this floor lamp could have some cabling. ))))
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2015-11-21, 16:55:19
Reply #15

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Good work! Just this floor lamp could have some cabling. ))))

Thanks :) Originally all the floor lamps had cables and plugs into the sockets, but the client asked us to remove them all, unfortunately, and re-rendering a whole load of shots with them wasn't feasible in the time-frame.

Would you be willing to provide us scene for the fireplace shot where there is too much noise inside of the fireplace? I would love to test our denoising/adaptivity for this scene.

I would be willing but this is a funny one. It was originally caused by bringing the max file from 1.3RC back into 1.2.1 and then back into 1.3 to render, which changed the bump value from 1 to 4, resulting in crazy shading happening. We had to do a Render Selected on the fireplace back objects to get something clean(ish) out quickly, hence why it's a little noisy. I'm not sure this is anything that would be explicitly improved with adaptivity.

However, I'd definitely be happy to share that one scene with you privately for your testing, because it's probably a good use-case for adaptivity anyway due to the big areas of flat shading and then lots of small detail textures etc. I'll prepare it next week for you. Great to hear it's being worked on!

Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-22, 08:52:25
Reply #16

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is brilliant work, both the design and the production, like Juraj, I thought it was a Baroque space! - just curious, who is the interior designer?

2015-11-22, 10:18:07
Reply #17

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
This is brilliant work, both the design and the production, like Juraj, I thought it was a Baroque space! - just curious, who is the interior designer?

Thank you! Well, the situation with the designer/client is a big delicate at the moment. I can't really expand on that but he did a fantastic job on this design, definitely.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-24, 12:22:42
Reply #18

iainbanks

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
Great work as always Alex, and great thats its your first Corona project too!.  No looking back now ;)

Iain
Iain Banks
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2015-11-24, 13:46:00
Reply #19

lucideye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very Nice, rather clean animation... roughly how long did it take to render out 1 frame (and how fast a machine?) ?

2015-11-24, 13:47:59
Reply #20

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Great work as always Alex, and great thats its your first Corona project too!.  No looking back now ;)

Iain

Cheers Iain ;)

Very Nice, rather clean animation... roughly how long did it take to render out 1 frame (and how fast a machine?) ?

Thank you! Each shot was different but some of the heaviest were around 35 mins/frame on one of our dual E5-2670v3@2.3ghz machines.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk