Author Topic: 70m²  (Read 23353 times)

2015-11-04, 10:24:50

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

After some heavy-duty exterior work with the Nakagin Capsule Tower, it's back to basics with this subdued Scandinavian-looking interior.

This scene featuring a small apartment (about 70 square meters, as you may have guessed) was modeled in 3ds Max, as always. Corona is perfect for this kind of work and takes care of the difficult illumination without complaints. Minimal post-work was done in RandomControl's ArionFX, which is turning into my post-production tool of choice for color-correction, temperature tweaking, and lens effects.

The idea here is maximum realism conveyed through detailed modeling of all visible parts, the use of some 3D-scanned models (the stools, the wood bowl, the pumpkins, the pastry...), complex shaders, and the illumination (the night shots actually show some light contribution from lamp posts on the street outside captured in the HDR maps).

The full scene--including its entire content and separate day and night setups--for 3ds Max 2016 and Corona 1.2.1. is available to download. All the full-res renders (raw .exr renders and post-processed .jpgs) can also be downloaded for free. More info about this and additional views on my blog: www.bbb3viz.com.

As always, very keen to hear your comments.

2015-11-04, 10:31:35
Reply #1

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing. Very design. Much realism. Such detail. Wow.

---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2015-11-04, 11:50:21
Reply #2

OlemVolle

• Users
    • View Profile
Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing :)

2015-11-04, 11:58:31
Reply #3

TheCapo

• Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal portfolio
Great work! Very realistic.

2015-11-04, 12:02:22
Reply #4

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Easily some of the most realistic images I've ever seen. Congratulations!

You mentioned, that you only make subtle postwork in ArionFX. Can you specify a bit more?

I guess you save out a 16bit or 32bit exr (of course without changes in Highlight Compression and Contrast), go to PS, fire up ArionFX and add Glow and Glare, so far so good.
Then you make all your grading inside this tool? Or did you make some tweaks in PS itself as well?
Because I always think the color grading settings in ArionFX won't give me enough control. Your images look very well graded though.

Thanks for sharing!
Visit boxel

2015-11-04, 12:03:53
Reply #5

lucideye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Impressive...always admired your work, and more of your process/ technique to creating your image.

(Minor) Crit: I noticed on the last image (night scene)..there's this bluish light spill casting on the ceiling that seems off (doesn't look "natural").

But still overall, this is another benchmark, for me at least :)

2015-11-04, 12:07:54
Reply #6

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I do everything in ArionFX. The main steps are always 1. Exposure and midtones (I render my raw images quite dark), 2. Glare, glow and CA, 3. Film stock, 4. Highlight compression, 5. color temperature.

I say subtle because at the end of the day, the most perceivable changes are in exposure and overall lighting. But drastic post-work is also possible. ArionFX is very subtle and photographic in how it approaches post-production. It is also missing a lot of things (saveable presets, lens distorsion...), but I often find that I don't need to do anything else to my images when I'm done.

2015-11-04, 12:09:16
Reply #7

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lucideye: It's actually light from a lamp post in the street that was captured by the night-time HDRI. It's definitely less strong in real life, but it's there.

2015-11-04, 12:12:20
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I remember when I was working some long hours about two years back in the studio, and when i was taking a rest on a sofa in a dark video editing room, I noticed light with quite sharp shadows hitting the ceiling, realizing it was street lamp outside. I immediately thought - hey, that would be a nice original detail to add to some evening interior viz someday. I then left archviz field more towards VFX, so i never got to actually employ the idea, but I am glad you did.

Few months ago, during summer, i observed very similar effect. It was sunny day, and there was sharp strong sun hitting the floor in my room but another sharp strong light hitting the ceiling as well, which turned out to be caustics from the reflection of car windshield outside. It looked as if I had two suns in my room, one shining from top, other one from the bottom.

And just a few days later, when I was sitting in the office, I had sun during sunset shining through the one side of the office, but i was on the side that was in the eastern part, yet from my side of the building, it looked like sunny day as well. There was a glass building across the street that reflected sunlight so perfectly my office was sunny pretty much all the day :)

These things make me realize how many more factors are there when it comes to light in real world. Of course simulating it using caustics would be painfully slow, but I guess we can try to fake it using addition lights placed in the scene, where no one would expect them to be, and getting very interesting results :)

2015-11-04, 12:59:22
Reply #9

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is also missing a lot of things (saveable presets, lens distorsion...), but I often find that I don't need to do anything else to my images when I'm done.

You do have saveable presets, at least in the version I´m using :)

2015-11-04, 13:05:08
Reply #10

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow. Looks like I need to update!

2015-11-04, 13:11:07
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The "light on the ceiling" effect could definitely look interesting if it was a rainy day. I mean light passing through drops and streams of water pouring down the glass. It would probably require a projector map (as Ludvik mentiond, caustics are PITA at the moment) and you would have to be careful with it not to introduce a tacky-horror look. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-11-04, 13:35:46
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
using caustics would be painfully slow, but I guess we can try to fake it using addition lights placed in the scene

This year at Splash this is exactly how Marek Denko shown it, he placed another directional light simulating "caustic sun" going from floor in angle perpendicular to normal sun. Works more or less, ok-ish, not too convincingly for anything other than rather clean sky.

Well, this is pretty great series. Contemplating the buy.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-11-04, 22:50:43
Reply #13

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Very nice indeed! I like the detail you added to you scene like the imperfections in the ceiling paint and wall. Do you create the DOF within Corona or is a post production thing?
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2015-11-04, 22:57:49
Reply #14

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks all. The DOF is all from Corona.