Author Topic: Sun & Sky  (Read 974 times)

2023-09-25, 14:19:23

GazzaMataz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Peeps

I am very new to Corona and have just been experimenting with the Sun & Sky object/lights. I have noticed that when I create a Sun and a Sky and then just drop a cube into a scene sitting on a plain that when I render the scene it is VERY blown out… I am finding that I have to reduce the Intensity of both the Sky and Sun objects to 0.1 to get the brightness down.

Am I doing something wrong?

2023-09-25, 14:59:17
Reply #1

CambridgeCreative

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi GazzaMataz

The light intensity settings for Corona are different to Cinema's own lighting system and you might find using the Corona camera more suited (if you aren't using it already!). You can then play around with the tone mapping within the Corona Camera tag to get the exposure you want. If you know about real world cameras, you can add the 'photographic exposure' by going to the Corona VFB and under tone mapping, add the photographic exposure option. Then play around with the shutter speed and F-Stop. It is said to best keep the sun and sky intensity at 1.

Hope this helps!

2023-09-25, 15:27:09
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, few more tips:

Always the best first step is to go through documentation, tutorials, check test scenes on "Resources" page & stay good friends w/ "Search" function to your own advantage. Then, have your own Corona specific 'new' asset file(s)/'presets'.
Start 'thinking' as a real world photographer and most importantly, enjoy your stay.

2023-09-25, 15:53:19
Reply #3

GazzaMataz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies peeps much appreciated.

So I didn't have a camera in this test scene anyway so I added a Corona camera. If you look at the images one is using the default intensity settings of '1' for sun and sky objects which makes everything bleached. The other I have set to 0.1 for both the sky and sun and looks much better…

I had been through several tutorials including the sun and sky one but nothing seemed to shed any light on this conundrum… Don't know why everything is so bright on the default settings?

2023-09-25, 15:55:59
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
A blown out image is expected behavior. Some people render interiors and others, exteriors. By default it is set to cater for interiors. Simply lower the tone mapping exposure to -4 and you are good to go! It's mentioned in this article ;) You should also leave the sun and sky at their default values and adjust the exposure instead.
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528616045841-How-to-add-daylight-in-Corona-for-C4D
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-09-25, 18:08:51
Reply #5

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are familiar with photography exposures, I'd recommend disabling Simple Exposure and adding the Photographic Exposure setting in Tone Mapping. This is IF you know photography, but I find it much easier to set the camera exposure this way. Also, the new ACES tone mapping setting is on by default. Apparently it's similar to a LUT, so turn it off and on to see if you like the look or not.

2023-10-06, 12:42:43
Reply #6

Konichowaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You should also leave the sun and sky at their default values and adjust the exposure instead.
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528616045841-How-to-add-daylight-in-Corona-for-C4D

Hi @Beanzvision, this is interesting to me... Is there a difference in quality/colors when (keeping exposure at 0/changing sun-sky intensity) versus (changing exposure/keeping sun-sky intensity at 1) or will the results come out equally?
Koen Van haesendonck
3D-lab - www.3d-lab.be