Author Topic: Adaptive Light Solver Issues  (Read 7156 times)

2020-11-10, 20:23:20

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Using the latest Corona

I have a scene that is using Sun/Sky, but the reflections/refractions are overidden with a huge panoramic jpeg of the actual location.

With adaptive light solver I get artifacts, turning it off fixes it.

The documentation states turning it on is more realistic, so just how much realism am I losing by having it off?

Also the floor shouldn't be purple, I've just disabled the diffuse map to clearly show the issue
« Last Edit: 2020-11-10, 20:30:43 by dj_buckley »

2020-11-11, 08:57:13
Reply #1

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We have a few reports of this already. Unfortunately it is not a simple fix, I will report it to our dev team and I will let you know when I have some more information.

Is it possible for you to send over your scene for testing purposes?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-11-11, 09:06:18
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeh sure, will upload later today

2020-11-11, 12:46:16
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Great thanks, please let me know the filename when it's uploaded so I can find it in our uploader :)
Send me your scene!

2020-11-11, 12:48:34
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No problem, out of interest, what differences can we expect to see between having Adpative Light Solver on and off?

I'm just about to run a test, but have a feeling I'm seeing quite big differences in colour/light/shadow?

2020-11-11, 14:30:25
Reply #5

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Scene will be uploaded in about 20 minutes, it's called 'BEDROOM_ALS'  i've provided all of the assets and it you should just be able to press render, light solver currently switched off.  The scene is confidential so please don't post images here.

2020-11-11, 15:13:43
Reply #6

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We have a few reports of this already. Unfortunately it is not a simple fix, I will report it to our dev team and I will let you know when I have some more information.

Is it possible for you to send over your scene for testing purposes?

Thanks,

Rowan

Hey, while you guys are looking at this, could you possibly look into the environment overrides at the same time? As this seems to be one of the underlying issues at play here.

Currently when overriding the reflection/refraction environment with an HDRI, mad amounts of fireflies/glints start appearing, therefore making overrides essentially non-usable - and I'd argue this is a pretty common render engine feature to still have broken after all this time. Clamping the HDRI does somewhat fix the fireflies, but this completely destroys the dynamic range of the HDRI (therefore unusable).
Vray who?

2020-11-11, 16:04:02
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Currently

No. Since ever.

And ...hmm let me see... yes: it's number 4 on my annoying-facts-about-Corona list. But that one is short compared to the praising-facts-about-Corona list :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-11-11, 16:12:31
Reply #8

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Keen to hear you 'annoyances' list Frood.  Hopefully it's stuff I've already encountered and not more I'm likely to encounter

2020-11-13, 17:43:35
Reply #9

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Here you are. I got a new number one since V6. To be fair, I left the fixed issues in the list:

• DR enable/disable not supported during rendering in Corona v6+ any more. Nor by script or interactively
  • 2.5d displacement prolonged edge artifacts and other weirdness (direction, frayed edges without apparent reason)
  • Render region (native 3dsMax) GI calculation hang and crashes
  • Excessive noise with scene overrides (reflection/refraction)
  • Wrong data in Maxscript events (Mantis id=3012 / Internal ID 454895349)
  • Discreet handling of opacity in masks/REs even though refraction and reflection was implemented
  • VFB pick feature with animated camera + autokey + override distance not working correctly if at all
  • DONE - Denoise "rest" LS-Element missing
  • IR restarts when having Corona cam referenced in FP objects / general FP issues causing FPP to permanently rebuild its items (like when hovering above the bounding box in a viewport)
  • No blending of MS-materials supported (mix material/blend material/layered material)
  • CoronaColorCorrect, unexpected result (at least for me) using "saturation" or "contrast"
  • DONE - DR: Loading loops/unstable/need of restart
  • DONE - Glass Material override exclusion does not work inside MS-Materials
  • Keyed corona camera clipping disregarded rendering a sequence (Ticket #14636)
  • Keyed corona camera shifts broken (Internal ID=565282422)
  • Keyed corona camera projection broken (Ticket #181819)
  • Size mismatch in render history. RMB -> "scale to" or similar option to resize VFB needed
  • Viewport IR changes to Corona logo when stopped. Unable to look at last render while continuing with work
  • Shadow catcher improvements (shadows on shadow catcher objects by shadow catcher objects e.g.) = Real matte material needed sooner or later
  • CoronaWire does not work as expected (size of wires changes when approaching vertices)
  • DR slave list weirdness and lower/uppercase issues when defined slaves are started/join after render start
  • MOVEMENT HERE - Issues with distance map
  • RTT via BB or DR does not work -> barely usable for larger projects
  • Fuzzy regions do not work as expected, do not blend correctly (unusable)
  • CoronaBitmap IFL support and general CBitmap issues (keying/ram usage using network based libraries) CBitmap is banned here since it exists for various reasons
  • SOLVED - CoronaBitmap bad viewport representation (uses procedural map settings)

The order is just a individual one, all issues surfaced at daily work, no explicit bug hunting :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-11-13, 17:50:00
Reply #10

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quite the list but you've caught all mine.  Displacement is my biggest annoyance.  To the point I just don't use it any more.

2020-11-13, 18:35:39
Reply #11

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea, 2.5D displacement sucks, and in the latest v7 daily the "old" 3D displacement is removed. So I realy hope 2.5D gets some serious overhaul.
:(

2020-11-14, 15:00:03
Reply #12

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea, 2.5D displacement sucks, and in the latest v7 daily the "old" 3D displacement is removed. So I realy hope 2.5D gets some serious overhaul.
:(

I wouldn't say it sucks, it just needs to have the bugs fixed (line artifacts, shading errors et.c.)
Vray who?

2020-11-16, 09:20:31
Reply #13

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We are working on improving the 2.5d displacement for Corona v7, this includes fixing the artifacts.

Keep an eye on the upcoming daily builds ;)

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-04-30, 18:40:11
Reply #14

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just resurfacing this, have the adapter light solver issues in this thread been fixed for Corona 7?