Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Inverse AO Worn Edges

(1/2) > >>

mrittman:
Hey guys I'm trying to add wear to edges using inverse AO. Maxon added this feature to R18 with their own materials, but I am trying to achieve the same effect in Corona. Tried messing with the layered material, but I guess I cannot wrap my head around how to do it. I found this, which is how to set it up with the nodal system in 3ds max, but it's a bit different in C4D:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516261-how-can-i-add-dirt-worn-off-effect-to-my-objects-

Thanks!
Matt

TomG:
That looks correct - only thing needed would be to play with Max Distance, Color Spread and Ray Directionality. Those will depend on the scale of your object.

For edges, you'll want to Invert Normals (otherwise it will colour nooks and crannies, rather than edges).

Two images attached, just used two extreme coloured materials so you can see where they start and end. For this object, I had to use 2 different settings for small and large objects since the scales are different.

TomG:
BTW I think "Only the same object excludes" and "Only other objects occlude" are reversed in Corona for C4D at the moment - I have a bug ticket in for that one :)

mrittman:
I'm it's kind of working, but when I adjust the max distance, it doesn't seem to do anything. Just a lot of back and forth changing values, seeing what does what I guess.

TomG:
All depends on the scale of the scene and objects. No way to determine what those should "always be", they could vary dramatically depending on the size of the objects. The way I like to work is set bold colours rather than final materials and adjust the values, so I can see what is happening where, then replace the materials at the end :) The other parameters can play an affect too, determining how "hard" the  change is between the materials or how "blurred".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version