Author Topic: EV value grayed out in the FB post tab  (Read 4768 times)

2017-08-22, 12:26:42

zmeski

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
i have pretty default scene he with sun and sky but i ve noticed the EV exposure value in the FB is greyed out and cannot be tweaked.
How come?
What do i need to setup to make it tweakable?
CHeers! i am sure it just something really dumb from my end so a hint woudl be really helpful :)
Thanks
M

2017-08-22, 13:28:04
Reply #1

zmeski

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the thing is we have a few scenes which we need to convert from vray to corona and were finding it really hard to match the exposure and lighting.

Reason being:
- vray uses physical camera as well as corona BUT vray reacts to changes in the EV values in the environment exposure settgin whereas corona doesnt at all

- usign simple exposure in corona makes the image quite dark at default settgins and this is where i am completely lost as the EV value dial in the FB is greyed out and i cant tweak it. Furthermore, changing EV value in the simple exposure tab doesnt change a thing no matter how high and low i set it.

The only almost identical match i get when i setup the exposure values in both vrays and coronas camera the same (albeit some burns and classical small differences)

I am sure there are plenty of you that had to do this too so whats the right procedure to get the same exposure please?

And why is the EV dial greyed out?
And why doesnt Corona respond atall to the Physical Camera Exposure Control in the Environment Tab in MAX?
And why changing the EV value in simple exposure contorl doesnt do a damn thing? :)))

Here is the example of the closest match i get...with a little tone mapping tweaks i will be able to get similar results.
Although i am really surprised since bot renderers use similar sun/sky model (Hosek) and both are "physical" - the intensity of the color on the ground is quite different. Any idea why? Both setups omit any tonemapping whatsoever...

Thanks a lot for looking into this!

Cheers
M

2017-08-22, 16:09:48
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
If you would have just typed "exposure" in the search field while browsing this section you would have at least found this:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,13535.msg87561.html#msg87561

...directly under your last post on page one :=)

And just disable any exposure control in "Environment and Effects" - you will not need any of them.

FYI: CoronaCamera is comming soon[tm] which will change the exposure game again.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-08-22, 16:53:59
Reply #3

zmeski

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot!
you know what? i did search, but i have overlooked the one you posted :)
oh well.....i even browsed through the index before i posted :)

2017-08-22, 18:32:57
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
i even browsed through the index before i posted :)

Hmm not sure if it is still maintained though -  I guess not. Lot of work and hard to keep up to date.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-08-22, 19:11:18
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, index is dead. Maybe i should remove that topic, because i don't think i'll have time/energy to update it in the foreseeable future.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-01, 10:42:29
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just some notes if anyone else encounter similar issues:

1) Currently (Corona 1.6) here is how exposure works:
-Corona Camera Mod (modifier applied to a camera) has the highest priority. If it is present, then the settings from there will be always used, regardless of any other exposure settings in the scene.
-3ds Max Physical camera has second priority. Exposure settings from it will override any render settings.
-Exposure settings in render setup have lowest priority. They will only work if there are no other exposure controls active.

2) Currently (Corona 1.6) exposure settings may be sometimes confusing, especially if you are not aware of 1).

3) As noted by Frood, by popular demand, we will soon (in 1.7) add a native Corona Camera object (https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-road-map-3ds-max).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us