Author Topic: Diffuse Render Element without shading  (Read 1830 times)

2021-07-30, 11:17:02

Visuali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visuali Studio
Hi, I'm looking for a render element that shows only the flat diffuse channel of all materials, but I can't find it.
Now I'm using the element "CShading_SourceColor" set to Diffuse but it has some shading in it, it's not flat, and this thing messes my postproduction.
Does anyone knows how to get it?  Thanks.

2021-07-30, 14:50:22
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What exactly do you need this element for, and what is wrong with CShading_SourceColor?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-03, 10:23:07
Reply #2

Visuali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visuali Studio
I use it to enhance the contrast of textures (eg to pop out the veins of woods or cracks in the concrete). In Photoshop, first by desaturate it, then increasing the contrast of the pass and changing the blending mode to softlight or overlay.
But because there's some shading in the pass by doing so I also introduce the shades.
I guess you will be tired of hearing comparisons, sorry, but just to understand what I would need, back in the days I used to use this technique with the VRayDiffuseFilter without problems.

I've attached an image of my CShading_SourceColor (diffuse). The shading is more visible in the round geometrys with no textures where I wound suppose to see full color without shades.
« Last Edit: 2021-08-03, 10:40:20 by Visuali »

2021-08-03, 15:54:04
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It seems that this is because your materials have some reflectivity and this is considered when calculating the diffuse component.
I have a workaround which seems to work in my quick test:
- add CShading_SourceColor (diffuse)
- add CShading_SourceColor (reflect)
- save both with gamma 1
- load them in Photoshop and put the reflect one on top of the diffuse one and set the reflect one's blending mode to "color dodge"

2021-08-03, 16:01:23
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 it would be good if it didn't include reflection.  I don't know any materials that don't have reflection to some degree.  As the name implies 'SourceColour' would suggest a flat colour or texture i.e. the source jpeg or colour swatch without reflection.  Even your first response implies that's how you thought it worked?

2021-08-04, 11:22:02
Reply #5

Visuali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Visuali Studio
Thanks Maru! It will be very useful.
As Buckley said, I thought it would be just flat colors without reflections in it. But from now on I'll use the technique you just show.
Anyway I'll also open a feature request to ask for a Render Element that gives a flat result because this technique is a long process if compared to what I used to do with VRayDiffuseFilter and I think other users would benefit too.
Thanks again!

2021-08-04, 14:19:32
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Feature request logged.

(Report ID=CRMAX-865)