Author Topic: CoronaDisplacementMod to Mesh  (Read 22210 times)

2016-07-19, 14:36:32
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Holy crap, it works! You can then optimize the mesh, or do some other evil things to it. You can also apply displacement to displacement!
I am also getting the 10x smaller issue.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-07-19, 15:08:38
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Corona's displacement when set to world size, is no better than max displacement modifier and when set to screen it's useless in baked form. So what's the fuss about?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-07-19, 15:42:50
Reply #17

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona's displacement when set to world size, is no better than max displacement modifier and when set to screen it's useless in baked form. So what's the fuss about?

In screen mode it's not useless to me if you are working to a predetermined camera/resolution. Consider for instance a heavy-poly object which is only partially visible.
You could go manually splitting the object at the edges of the camera but I'd rather use this method. It's only a tip after all, so nothing gets changed.

Also, considering possible benefits in world mode, doesn't Corona's displacement calculate adaptivity based on the detail in the displacement map as well?
I honestly don't know if it works in this way or not (have to go back and look at some of the threads from when adaptive displacement was introduced) but theoretically this would make it more efficient than Max's modifier.

2016-07-19, 15:48:48
Reply #18

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I too was under the impression that Corona calculated adaptivly, but I don't know any of the theory behind it. I do know however, that I never had Max's displacement or disp. mod working as good as Cornas.

2016-07-19, 16:18:04
Reply #19

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
In screen mode it's not useless to me if you are working to a predetermined camera/resolution. Consider for instance a heavy-poly object which is only partially visible.
You could go manually splitting the object at the edges of the camera but I'd rather use this method. It's only a tip after all, so nothing gets changed.

Fair enough, if it works for you then everything is fine :]

I too was under the impression that Corona calculated adaptivly, but I don't know any of the theory behind it. I do know however, that I never had Max's displacement or disp. mod working as good as Cornas.

Nope, just tested that this morning and Corona's displacement in world mode gives very similar results as if mesh would be manually subdivided with displacement modifier on top. But with baked version you'd loose all the benefits of max's modifier stack.

2016-07-19, 16:34:22
Reply #20

deshu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Firstly:

Ondra - Thanks for the tip!

Secondly:

In this model, adaptive Corona displacement doesn't make sense.
Displacement adaptivity is on by default and it's useful when you have big, flat surface with some detailed surface.
For example, a brick wall.
When you have a complete curve surface, all the mesh will be subdivided in the same level.

This night I've made some quick tests and I have to admit, that your pessimism on my request is justified.

Corona displacements adaptivity works different way than i used to thing while making this topic.

Later this week I'll make a post with some tests, analyse, and my thoughts in that matter.

2016-07-19, 16:38:46
Reply #21

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK. I work a lot with large low poly geometry coming from CAD or BIM programs, so I might not have subdivided it enough for the Max Disp. Mod to work well enough (much easier just using Coronas Disp. mod).

Regarding the lack of benefits when "baking" displacement, then you can't export displaced mesh without "baking" it - and that is one of my main reasons to do it.

Will dive deeper into standard Max Disp. mod :)

2016-07-19, 16:52:05
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Will dive deeper into standard Max Disp. mod :)

You won't regret it, in certain situations displace modifier can be vastly more effective than rendertime displacement.

2016-07-21, 10:07:00
Reply #23

alberto_royo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2) Go to system -> export scene
3) object gets saved in corona proxy format on HDD

sorry, but I don't undertand this point. I export scene but only format alowed is *.scn, not proxy, and then I can't load the proxy object

2016-07-21, 13:32:36
Reply #24

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Export as .scn. This is what you should see in the specified folder:

Then create a proxy object and load one from the "geometry" folder.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-07-22, 10:00:01
Reply #25

alberto_royo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I feel a bit stupid, I was right there ... Thank you !!

2016-08-22, 19:47:27
Reply #26

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
we will fix the bug, but we will not add a separate option to do this, the displacement is meant to be render time-only, not for modelling
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-05-19, 19:32:43
Reply #27

MMSHRZNSAE

• Users
    • View Profile
1) apply displacement to an object
2) Go to system -> export scene
3) object gets saved in corona proxy format on HDD
4) create an empty corona proxy object
5) load the object back in the corona proxy, it will have the displacement baked in
6) ???
7) PROFIT!
I don't get the Go to system> export scene step ?
where is this (system) menu/section, did you mean File>Export and what type of file to export to?
thanks for you help

2021-10-20, 11:25:05
Reply #28

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we will fix the bug, but we will not add a separate option to do this, the displacement is meant to be render time-only, not for modelling
Then how to use third party terrain generators they can give height map, vegetation map, even river map, but how to make scattering whit this maps? In this point we need to make into mesh for distribution because even bitmap\CoronaBitmap\displace modifier they all work differently and cannot be used in making height mesh for scattering