Author Topic: Distributed rendering and LAN disconnect issue  (Read 1684 times)

2021-08-31, 13:36:15

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
Hello everyone!

I am facing an issue when I try distributed rendering on my simple LAN. Let me explain.
First of all, I am a completely noob in everything about LANs. However, I have managed to create a local LAN with two computers that works. It is an "offline" lets say type of LAN as I get my internet wirelessly in both of my computers. So the LAN connection between these two computers is pretty straight forward, an ethernet cable goes from one pc to the other. The second pc does not have a monitor-keyboard-mouse so I control it through Microsoft's Remote Desktop*.

* There are two software available from Microsoft that do the same thing. One called "Remote Desktop Connection", which is the old classic one and the other called "Remote Desktop", which have a fresh and more user friendly UI so I chose that.

Remote Desktop works fine. I have no other issues except when I try distributed rendering.
At start, distributed rendering works fine, the main pc sends all the information the second pc needs and then "updates" start to count. At about 5 "updates" the second pc has the first "pass" ready to be sent and at that moment my LAN stuck! The Remote Desktop software and the distributed rendering freeze. It is like someone is pulling out the cable. Then I have to close down everything and restart the second computer. Sometimes it doesn't stuck and "passes" start to count normally but it is very rare.

Had anyone faced this? Any help would be much appreciated!

As I said, I am a noob in LANs, so forgive me if I didn't use the right terminology about something.

Thanks!
We offer Visual Communication

2021-08-31, 19:27:33
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If your computers are directly connected with a cable, this is not going to work. You will need to add a switch or a router* into the equation so that the setup would be:

[computer A] --- cable --- [switch] --- cable --- [computer B]

The good news is that a basic switch costs ~10 €.

*a "switch" is a switch and a "router" is a device which also has a switch functionality
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-31, 21:46:21
Reply #2

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
Interesting...!
It is weird though as the LAN works on other occasions. Does it have to do with how distributed rendering works?

Also, why sometimes works and sometimes not? Any idea?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 2021-09-01, 01:46:51 by Image Complete »

2021-09-01, 13:42:10
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think it has to do with the way the data is sent in two directions. The switch can handle it. Two computers connected with a cable, not really.
But I'm not that great in hardware and networking, so maybe someone else can provide a better explanation.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-09-01, 17:33:10
Reply #4

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
Thank you maru!
If someone has to add something to the topic, please go ahead, I would appreciate it!

Cheers!