Author Topic: RAM limit  (Read 6827 times)

2012-10-29, 19:37:41

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if it works this way, but would it be possible to set a memory limit to prevent system freezes when Corona eats up too much RAM? For example when rendering very detailed displacement or having only 4GB of memory like me? :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-10-29, 20:51:18
Reply #1

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You talk about dynamic memory limit for dynamic geometry loading like vray has?

2012-10-29, 21:03:52
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe. I'm talking about something that would prevent Corona from eating ALL the available RAM.

2012-10-29, 21:12:37
Reply #3

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I use proxies... a lot. In fact I was using them in vray and mental ray a lot aswell, even though vray has this dynamic raycaster. Every geometry that I now I won't be changing in the particular scene I'm working with I turn to proxy. It keeps the scene size small it runs faster in viewport, loads geometry or part of it only when needed. And corona saves material to the .cbin plus gives point cloud representation in viewport and if needed can show the full mesh. I have 6gigs

2012-10-29, 21:41:56
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Tried rendering few objects with displacement projected size set to 0,5px and resolution higher than 800x600? I usually get a monstrous freeze, windows turn into white rectangles and everything (even usb mouse driver) stops responding. Typical for stuffed up ram. I know I have an extremely low-end pc configuration, but I think it would be cool to have such feature.

2012-10-29, 22:42:20
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
there is problem with the displacement, I'm going to try to fix that in the first place. This loading/unloading stuff is quite tricky, so it will have to wait longer
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)