Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519886 times)

2020-02-21, 00:18:58
Reply #900

RPanizzon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Panizzon Visualisation
Haha, that's funny Joe - I saw this and tried the benchmark out and I got the position next to you! Cinebench 20 was also 25793.

After a few minor updates to BIOS, Motherboard, Windows, and GPU...system is running stable and hovering around 50C.
Web: www.ryanpanizzon.com
Insta: @ryanpanizzon

2020-02-21, 00:59:47
Reply #901

JoeS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Shade Digital
Haha, that's funny Joe - I saw this and tried the benchmark out and I got the position next to you! Cinebench 20 was also 25793.

After a few minor updates to BIOS, Motherboard, Windows, and GPU...system is running stable and hovering around 50C.

RPanizzon Wow that's awesome ! so happy with this thing. Now I need to install all of my software etc

2020-02-22, 17:58:41
Reply #902

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So, I "finished" a temporary build of 3990X. Temporary because crucial part for my water-loop might be missing for at least another 3 weeks. Neither did my memory comes, which will be roughly same delay or lot more.
In interim, I used Noctua UH14s-TR4 and my existing Corsair 128GB 3000 CL15 (not a very high-quality memory).

Few random finds:
- Straight from fresh installation, stock bios, stock Windows 10 settings (not even power mode to high), no XMP (so memory is on 2133 only), the score is 17 seconds. Mostly gets reported like 17.4-17.8 into actual database. Very satisfied.
- XMP didn't even boot... so I manually set it to 2933 CL16/18/18/18/36 for standard conservative setup and that booted up with no issues...but SURPRISE :- ) read below:
- I expected this to happen and it really does, the power limit is for IO + 8 Dies. So the higher the stress on memory controller, the lesser will be all-core boosts. Actually more than -100 MHz,..but, with same performance.
( You can put less stress on memory controller by using 4x32 instead of 8x16. Of course, with 8x32GB, the setup would be maxed out anyway )
- So that means faster memory still improves performance...but taxes the CPU which is already on conservative power limit (280W) for that many cores. PBO can offset this but I don't want to play around with it right now.
- The score is once again 17 seconds.

- Windows 10 still have CPU groups. The Windows patch only solved the incorrect reporting of "sockets". You can check this for any process affinity.

- Fast memory + PBO (+200) would give the 16 seconds or perhaps bit less.

And some issues:
- I've read about it somewhere else...so did already happen to someone just can't remember where. Upon random restart (by myself), the CPU only ran at <1GHz (more like 0.5! GHz) frequency, and would only run 16 threads? After restart, it once again corrected itself. EDIT: Solved, this is memory related issue. Changed last timing to 38 and upped voltage to 1.36. After 20 restart and cold-boots, it never materialized again. I really want to try with better memory..
- I will test for another bug I read about.. crash with AVX instruction with specific load of Prime95. This could be Prime95 issue, but I would rather test this. Didn't have time yet.
- Noctua UH-14S wasn't made for dual-fan and it shows...the resonation is annoying. Either you have to run different fans (120 vs 140) for pressure or run different speeds to avoid this but I just took the fan away. There is no difference with such narrow heatsink.
- This CPU is actually quite easy to cool :- ). Eh...I already have the loop though.

« Last Edit: 2020-02-22, 23:17:58 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-02-22, 20:59:03
Reply #903

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Guys with ASUS/ASROCK/MSI TRX40 boards & 3990X I have questions, can you please check these two things for me:

1) Task Manager, click CPU, click 'Change graph to' NUMA nodes.
Do you see 1 or 2 nodes?

2) Do you have anywhere in UEFI option to change NUMA configuration?

I am puzzled by this, because I see 2 Nodes (Windows refers to these as NUMA nodes, not CPU groups which are in Process tabs instead, but this could just be naming issue like the sockets...). This is single-node CPU (UMA), but I've seen two reviews state in one sentence "it can be configured to be seen as single or multiple NUMA nodes" in reviews for 3990X. But no further elaboration.
I don't have any such setting in Gigabyte UEFI.

When newer high-end memory arrives, I'll retest stability, and maybe even buy Asus Alpha to compare to.

EDIT: Ok, this setting only exists in Ryzen Master, and was intended for 2970WX (not 2990WX!) which could choose between UMA and NUMA. 2990WX was NUMA only. 3990X is UMA only. The setting is greyed-out for this CPU.
What on earth is Tom's Hardware talking about? Did they just saw such setting exists generally in RM and figured it can be applied globally?
« Last Edit: 2020-02-22, 23:20:32 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-02-23, 17:24:49
Reply #904

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Btw I tested Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise as well, so you don't have to :- ). Latest builds, fully updated.

AMD and subsequent articles were correct, there is no difference in any benchmarks I ran on 3990X, CB15&20, Corona 1.3 Bench but also real Corona scene.
But since you can buy Enterprise upgrade for 4 euros on eBay (yes it's fully legal)... you might as well go for it.

2020-02-23, 21:42:28
Reply #905

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info Juraj, good to know. I'm just waiting on the Asus zenith II extreme alpha to come back in stock, it is out of stock everywhere. Not sure if I should wait or just get the regular zenith II extreme, but they both seem to be the same price.

2020-02-23, 22:11:30
Reply #906

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks for the info Juraj, good to know. I'm just waiting on the Asus zenith II extreme alpha to come back in stock, it is out of stock everywhere. Not sure if I should wait or just get the regular zenith II extreme, but they both seem to be the same price.

Absolutely wait for Alpha, the "original" is almost EOL, I've seen lot of shops not planning any restock and only continuing with Alpha. Few reports of burned VRM issues on overclockers.uk forum :- O.
Hard to guess whether Alpha came to market due to improvement (because those 90 amp stages are not needed for 3990X, not even for LN2 overclock, but the power cascade to memory improvement is what interests me more), or it's rather revision.

2020-02-23, 22:43:33
Reply #907

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah I was worried about the VRM. I guess I'll just have to wait. I might go with a Nactua for the cooling for now until I figure out this custom water cooling for it. Shame there is no Aio, and the Asus one is good knows how far from release. Would like to overclock, probably just with PBO.

2020-02-23, 22:58:57
Reply #908

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Honestly it runs fine like this that I wouldn't bother with loop if I didn't already have the parts. Sunken cost fallacy lol. For my i9 loop was absolute necessity but for Threadrippers it's on verge of regret ;- ). But I already decided I will build the ultimate workstation so being rational is long past...
(The cost of loop isn't the issue alone...but the total time spent..the cleaning, rebuilding, coolants & inhibitors...there is reason Mac Pro has 3 fans and that's it...honestly that's what workstation should look like. Even my dog is wondering why I look disgruntled ordering Blitz kit from Mayhems...)

PBO won't rise single-core, and the all-core is fantastic to a point that small improvement in exchange for much higher heat output isn't worth it. Another 10perc. still won't replace dedicated render-farm.

2020-02-23, 23:22:09
Reply #909

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm.. Maybe I won't overclock then. If there was aio for it I would, but would buy it even if I didn't overclock. Custom loop, I really don't have the time for building it and maintenance. If you think it is better if just stay stock with Nactua, then I might just do that. I might have a new office soon and was thinking of possibly running a extended central AC vent directly into the system, possibly bottom up like server room since I have to do AC anyway.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-24, 04:12:27 by dfcorona »

2020-02-24, 04:16:34
Reply #910

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It cost me $50 more but I found the alpha, will be here this week. Only parts I'm moving over from my old system it is replacing is case, 1600w power supply, 2080ti, and ddr4 3200 gskill ram. Hopefully ram works in New system no problem.

2020-02-24, 10:33:28
Reply #911

RPanizzon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Panizzon Visualisation

Threadripper 3990x
G Skill Trident 128gb DDR4 3600mhz C16
Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40

Hey Ryan,

Does it run fully stable at 3600/CL16 ? This is 8x16GB right ?

Yes Juraj, it seems to be stable so far. 8x16gb running full speed now I turned on XMP Profile in BIOS. I’ll be rendering on it a few hours tomorrow and will post if I find any issues!
Web: www.ryanpanizzon.com
Insta: @ryanpanizzon

2020-02-24, 11:34:47
Reply #912

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I need some advice please.

Exluding my 3950x build, for which I have some parts and going to order the rest soon but was hoping to do it all in one bulk as all this hardware is time consuming.

I also have x2 Old Xeons that make up 16threads +

So I was thinking of building a 1920x as a cheap render node. Cheap as possible or I am being stupid and should jump of a cliff and die?

Any of you guys have some advice on the parts for this matter. I did some research through partpicker, but I am unsure if they are correct.

1920x - 200
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming - 100
Corsair 159405 Vengeance LPX 16 GB - 70
Gpu? do i need one?
Anycase of cheap - 30 bucks
PSU - unsure of power?
Mouse/keyboard - 15bucks all together
Monitor / Not needed.
HD 1 - seagate or WD - 35bucks

Thanks

2020-02-24, 12:18:14
Reply #913

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would say waste of money..

If you need more render power, get Threadripper instead of Ryzen9, but why build super weak (half of 3950X performance, 1/3-1/4 of Threadrippers), low-mem node?

2020-02-24, 13:33:32
Reply #914

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rant: Cause I am not rich or smart like you guys. I am not 100% freelance or own my own firm, I am a salaried guy, we dont get paid what you guys charge per image. Viz salaries have not increased much for the last 10 years as the market likes to control wages to keep  all the serfs in check. Enough self loathing and economics......... :)

yes you are correct but

I did consider the 3960x before the earlier post but the difference between that and the 3950x is only 16 threads and 700bucks.

But If i can build a cheaper render node that can also work as a backup pc for that price difference is what makes it beneficial for me. And maybe once I manage to go 100% Freelance if luck is on my side, then I can purchase the better threadrippers. Right now I have to limit my risk.

excuse my ignorance, But I assumed just for rendering the 1920x cores would suffice?. Why would its Low memory make a difference if it is acting as a proletariat? Thanks

okay I found this for the peasant class.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3527-amd-threadripper-1920x-benchmark-in-2019https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3527-amd-threadripper-1920x-benchmark-in-2019