Author Topic: DOF affecting backplate  (Read 3993 times)

2014-12-03, 23:06:41

enzodiac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am trying to render a model on shadow catcher material with a backplate as background. However when I turn on DOF everything outside of the shadow catcher gets dof. Even the background. Is this a known bug?

2014-12-03, 23:45:07
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No, it's not a bug, it's a correct behaviour. Although i would like to have control over what amount of blurriness backplate will recieve.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-12-04, 09:58:18
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually, it could be a bug/ I will have to check if MR does DoF on backplates too. From what i remember, it does not. It does not make sense to add another DoF blurring to the backplate already photographed with DoF.

2014-12-04, 11:00:16
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
And what if user has picture with infinite DOF (more often than not, this is the case), or he want to to change amount of DOF? That's way it would be good to have control over what amount of blurriness backplate will receive. Actually, i expressed such wish in feature request a while ago, but it was rejected.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-12-04, 11:58:09
Reply #4

enzodiac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't really see the use of adding dof from corona to the backplate. That should be handled when photographing the backplate. Anyway the option should be there to turn it off just like we can turn off exposure for the backplates.

2014-12-04, 13:42:58
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I can't really see the use of adding dof from corona to the backplate. That should be handled when photographing the backplate. Anyway the option should be there to turn it off just like we can turn off exposure for the backplates.

Yeah, but there's also case, where backplate is perfectly in focus, yet you want to do DoF shot. In that case, you want backplate  to be blurred. This is quite tricky.

2014-12-04, 14:24:49
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yeah, but there's also case, where backplate is perfectly in focus, yet you want to do DoF shot. In that case, you want backplate  to be blurred. This is quite tricky.

Are we talking about viewport/render background or actual mapped plane geometry?

For viewport background, there should be a switch, I agree on that. In case you don't need any dof and want to preview correct dof you actually need a background without any dof added in the render.

If you need dof on the backplate and/or want to exaggerate it you could use a plane and figure what dof fits best by moving towards to or away from the camera.

Also, there should be also a way to exclude ShadowCatcherMtl from dof calculations, only direct visibility, reflections and bump should still render with dof. Not sure if possible, sound tricky, but definitely the way to do it if you want correct resulst.

2014-12-04, 15:22:28
Reply #7

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's not a bug, as such. But there does need to be an option for it. Whether you want the background affected by DOF depends on the setup. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

2014-12-04, 16:32:28
Reply #8

enzodiac

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok i get what you guys are saying. But as stated we do need a switch. Are there any work arounds as of now?

2014-12-04, 16:53:37
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Ok i get what you guys are saying. But as stated we do need a switch. Are there any work arounds as of now?

You can compose it in post. :)