Poll

Do you think Interactive Rendering is slower than it used to be?

Yes
32 (78%)
No
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: 2019-12-25, 19:34:47

Author Topic: Looking for a cause of Interactive Rendering slowdown (+Poll)  (Read 79673 times)

2019-10-16, 20:58:59
Reply #60

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have been testing your scene which you sent through to us. I have not been able to reproduce the slowdowns which were shown in the video you posted

Rowan,

Are you saying that when you remove subsampling you don't have the delay that I have on the same scene?
What computer are you using?
Are you doing a comparison with Corona 1.5? Or just testing Corona 4/5?
Could you send a video capture to show me how it's supposed to be working without the slowdown?

Thanks.

2019-10-17, 10:21:21
Reply #61

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

Do you think we can do this via email?
Where should I send the info to?
Thanks.

Hi,

Feel free to send me a PM with the info.

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-10-17, 12:45:49
Reply #62

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
I have been testing your scene which you sent through to us. I have not been able to reproduce the slowdowns which were shown in the video you posted

Rowan,

Are you saying that when you remove subsampling you don't have the delay that I have on the same scene?
What computer are you using?
Are you doing a comparison with Corona 1.5? Or just testing Corona 4/5?
Could you send a video capture to show me how it's supposed to be working without the slowdown?

Thanks.

Hi,

I did do a comparison vs 1.5 and 1.7.4 against V5RC1.
For me v1.5 was nearly unuseable and 1.7.4 was slower when compared to v5RC1.

I have attached a link to the screen recording of my test with V5RC1. I disable the subsampling at around 30 seconds. It can be seen that it becomes less smooth and there is more of a delay when subsampling is disabled. However not to the extent shown in your recording.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-10-17, 16:23:50
Reply #63

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks.

To be honest I don't see much difference between your video and mine once you disabled subsampling, other than probably you're using a faster computer.

I updated Forest and railclone and there's no difference.
Windows is up to date.
Using Max without AnyDesk is the same.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-17, 16:29:50 by lupaz »

2019-10-17, 16:34:24
Reply #64

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Is there any reason you don't use "force path tracing"?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-23, 09:05:58
Reply #65

Peter Tristann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What is the keyboard shortcut in Corona 4 and 5 to region render? In Corona 2-3 it was Shift in VFB. THIS was a very good shortcut and since the Corona 4 version it has been turned off :(. As for sub-sampling, it is very useful for scenes from FP, where even with a larger lawn the amount of primitives instances often exceeds 2-3 billion and Corona needs a moment to reduce it but in Corona 3 and 4 it works great and fast.

Those who are disturbed by large squares / pixels when moving objects or camera, I recommend increasing GI vs. AA balance at 32-64, (better to see the difference in scenes without FP), then it should look nicer for everyone :) to reduce Light Samples Multiplier to 1, and then they work IR even faster, I also recommend setting Secondary Solver to None, and Max ray depth at 5-10 which additionally smooth work in IR, and the quality will be noticeably worse, slightly shaded places will be darker slightly. But for quick previews and quick work with the stage, these settings are sufficient and increase the comfort of work. When working with FP, it's good for even faster GI vs. Set AA balance to 2 and Light Samples Multiplier to 7. I recommend trying it because the difference is significant.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-23, 15:01:12 by Peter Tristann »

2019-12-04, 16:48:27
Reply #66

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if this matters to you, but I'm starting to use IR within the viewport and it's way faster than with the VFB. You just don't have that initial wait and of course you can render smaller. There may be another reason too, so that's why I'm mentioning it.

2020-03-02, 21:20:43
Reply #67

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I run into the following issue.  Sometimes when IR is active and 3ds Max does an autosave, everything gets looked up.  I'm forced to end task. If work has not been saved up to this point, all is lost unless there was a successful autoback saved. Pretty frustrating.

2020-04-15, 17:08:58
Reply #68

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't worry, we won't remove subsampling. We might introduce back the pixel blending, which could get automatically activated when subsampling is set to 0 (i.e. disabled). It is super-easy change AFAIK.

Any chance we'll see the pixel blending in the next version?

2020-04-16, 14:48:28
Reply #69

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Don't worry, we won't remove subsampling. We might introduce back the pixel blending, which could get automatically activated when subsampling is set to 0 (i.e. disabled). It is super-easy change AFAIK.

Any chance we'll see the pixel blending in the next version?

It's too early to tell.

(Internal ID=436890794)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-20, 09:44:53
Reply #70

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Update: it's too early to tell, but we would really like to have this feature back in V6.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-20, 15:49:59
Reply #71

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Update: it's too early to tell, but we would really like to have this feature back in V6.

That would be great.
Thanks Maru.

2022-03-21, 20:00:41
Reply #72

Namik Pirkic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there :)

since this is the thread about IR, I might have something to add or to report. when in IR and if I wannt to change the color/temperature of certain lights, when I click on the color box/field the VFB starts to blink and following behavior is like this:

a) the VFB starts to blink for a few seconds (5-10 I think that the time of the blinking is related to the number of lights in the scene), and then the IR starts again;
b) the VFB starts blinking and afer the blinking is done, it resets VFB like it's window size was smaller than I've set it to be.

And yeah, I somehow find that the IR is kinda slow compared to the older Corona versions

I'm using Corona renderer 7 (with the latest hotfix), on Ryzen 5950x, 128GB of RAM memory and RTX 2060S.

Edit, it's all fine now in Corona 8 :)
« Last Edit: 2022-05-23, 11:19:47 by Namik Pirkic »

2023-01-21, 16:37:01
Reply #73

Hubl

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have 3 Monitors 2x 16:10 (1920x1200px) and one 4K (3840x2160). due to the bad handling of 3D Max with 4K Monitors i have to scale up the resolution to 150% in order to work properly.

That affects also the Corona IR. when im draging it from a 2K Monitor to a 4K Monitor it resize it and start all over again.
I would love to have a checkbox in the Framebuffer that said "Resolution Lock" and also i would love to have a checkbox that say "update: Geometry, light, material"
that would be awsome!