Author Topic: Adding Depth to Archviz Images?  (Read 1171 times)

2022-04-30, 19:13:34

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I have been struggling with adding more depth/atmosphere to my scenes.

The example I have attached shows a current one I am working on. I need to show how far back the large tube is, currently in this render is seams very close to the house, when in reality it is quite the way back.

Is there anything people would suggest? (I was thinking possibly atmospheric fog or aerial perspective)

For the sky I have been using HDRI's from PGSkies.

I also need to show trees in the background of the field, but when I add these it feels like they are directly behind the render when they are far back!

Thanks!

2022-04-30, 22:45:32
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Few tips...
First, focal length. Telephoto lens tend to distort perspective in a way which makes objects in background appear closer then they are, while on other hand, wide angle lenses attenuate distance between them.

Next thing is stronger contrast between light and dark areas/zones helps give impression of deeper and richer space (especially with detailed surfaces) Add & match sun to HDRI and get sharper shadows.

Finally, map those tones ;)

2022-04-30, 22:52:48
Reply #2

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ohhh thanks a lot for these tips, Ill be sure to give them a try tomorrow and post the results!

Don't suppose you would be able to tell me a bit more or even post a screengrab of what you mean by map tones (Sorry if that sounds stupid hahah)

2022-05-01, 09:55:36
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Heh, it's just  a play of words - do tone mapping.
:)

2022-05-02, 05:21:41
Reply #4

ONO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,
A few of my observations:
* What scaling system are you using because I believe your props are not using real world Dimensions.
* As the person above said you need to use a wider camera lens it would give more depth tbh just watch a video on Architectural and Interior Photography on YouTube it not longer than 15minutes and you would understand the basics and how to achieve what you want.
* Light: Another issue that is giving you image a flatter look is the direction your Light source is coming from. You positioned it directly behind or from the same direction you camera is positioned. Try opposite or perpendicular that would create interesting shadows thereby creating depth.
Photography plays a lot in ArchViz you can never know enough, follow Architectural Photographers and watch Videos about their works and equipment and it's would all come together. You could also try playing with depth of field when you populate your scene.