Author Topic: Flickering noise animation  (Read 592 times)

2023-06-12, 13:57:39

albertoiuav

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good morning, everyone,

I have an exterior scene, not complex, just some scattering of grass and a few trees.
The light arrives slightly indirectly and unfortunately I have a lot of noise on the windows and all interiors in general, whether lit or unlit.
Glass material is already set with "thin shell". They only have noise as a bump.
Inside the curtains have few translucencty and opacity (0,85).

I am using a Corona Sun + sky, nothing special.

Currently with PT+UHD fliker free and noise set to 3 (but I'm afraid it's not even enough) a frame takes 2h30m on a 3970 32 core 3.7ghz.
It seems way too, too slow to me and imagine of going down to 2 with noise to try to have a more clean image, is unthinkable.

If I try to render using PT+PT the estimated time increases to 3 hours.

Is it not possible to set a static noise?
Or, in any case, reduce the render time which seems too high for such a simple scene?
I have already reduced the textures and removed all displacement that was not necessary.

I hope for your help.

2023-06-12, 15:06:06
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

It seems that you have already done what is generally done in such cases to cut down the render times.
At what resolution are you rendering?

For static noise - you can turn on "Lock sampling pattern" in Render Settings> Performance tab.
This will "lock" the noise at the same pattern and place.

I would advise isolating a small part of the scene and rendering it. Do you achieve expected Ray/s values?
You can also try resetting the settings in Render Settings>Scene, although this may be a last resort thing to try. It may help in some cases.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-06-12, 19:27:30
Reply #2

albertoiuav

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

"lock sampling pattern" is already on.
So, i don't know why i have this kind of flickering.

If i render a small part of the scene i still have long render times.
Not 2 hours but, at least, 1 hour also for a small part.

I try to calculate a test this night and post it here tomorrow.
Thank you

2023-06-13, 17:20:32
Reply #3

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
There is no way you should be seeing those render times with a scene like that.
If you turn on the render passes you could look and see where the most noise is coming from.
IE: Direct vs Indirect or reflection.

2023-06-14, 12:00:53
Reply #4

albertoiuav

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

i made another test, this time on a 2990 32 core.
Times are absurd.
As you can see with "stats" image it took 3hours and 10 minutes to achive 3,41 of noise and would still not be sufficient to avoid flickering.

I also attach these passes: direct, indirect, reflect, raw diffuse and raw reflection.
For the concrete slab, it seems very reflective but i have 1.2 IOR and a quite bright roughness texture.

If someone can reduce the calculation time a lot, I can pay for this service because I avoid spending it on renderfarm.

Thank you

2023-06-14, 16:13:47
Reply #5

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

It will be better if you can submit the scene so we can have a look and come up with suggestions.
You can do so by sending a ticket to us at: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Archive the scene, tell about the version of Corona and any other 3rd party plugin used, and anything that can be helpful for finding the cause of the slowdown.
Be as detailed as possible. We will continue the conversation there and I will share any important updates here.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us