Author Topic: Alternative emotional approach: Fisheye and CloseUps  (Read 2044 times)

2022-01-16, 14:50:25

Helldoor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Helldoor Visual Studio
Hey there folks,

Happy New Year to you all!

Today I wanted to share with you my last project. The interesting thing about it is the backstory on why the clients even contacted us: The thing is, they already had technically very okay looking visuals for their project. But they still lacked something - authenticity and atmosphere. So, with the last small part of their budget they came to us, asking for exactly that - an quick and down-to-earth, but emotional view on their project. I built it up, played around with the cam positioning and lighting, and this is the result - simple, but impactful.

Hope you like it.
All the best
Helldoor (@helldoorvisualstudio)

2022-01-16, 17:41:21
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Really nice images. Well done.

I often struggle with such nice balanced environment lighting like you've done so well here.

May I ask what your set-up is here? Cheers!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-01-18, 09:16:48
Reply #2

Helldoor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Helldoor Visual Studio
Really nice images. Well done.

I often struggle with such nice balanced environment lighting like you've done so well here.

May I ask what your set-up is here? Cheers!

Hey there!

Sorry for the late reply - I forgot to enable notifications, so I had no clue someone answered.

Thank you for the kind words - the set up is very simple: Sun and Sky, that's it. As it's a commercial project, I made a daylight study and then just went with the lighting that best suited the atmosphere I was after, while still being realistic (it's June, 6pm, in Germany).
The rest was photography work - just moving the camera around until I found interesting angles I liked.

Not sure if this helps you, though?

2022-01-23, 12:59:20
Reply #3

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
No problem mate, thanks for the reply.

Ok great to hear. I usually find myself going down a rabbit hole of colour correction, environment overrides etc. I guess you don't have any of this going on then?

I find your balance of blue sky and bright highlights on the features to be so perfect. Something, as I said, I struggle with. I'd usually have such dark areas to compete with. So, if you have any other tips I'd be keen to hear them.

Keep up the good work.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-01-26, 09:22:23
Reply #4

Helldoor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Helldoor Visual Studio
I usually try to get the best output possible, directly out of the VFB. There are two reasons for that:

1. Consistency | If I only have to deliver one image, then I could use all the render elements in post to get a desired result. If it's more however, then it becomes quite tedious to get a consisten final result for all of them. That's why I tend to go for the optimal results while still in Corona and then just do some fine tuning in post only.

2. Lazyness | The more I do in 3dm, the more flexible I am. Also, the more easy the post production is.

Generally, I try to go for a consistent and simple GI - it's either Sun + Sky (very flexible, but no clouds etc.) or a good HDRI (not so flexible, but nice reflections and a 'populated' sky). Overrides are also an option, but I do them only when I have no other option (e.g. Worked with a photographer on an interior: He made a 360° of the surroundings, but it was not a HDRI with good illuminational value, so I used it to override the Environment, Reflections and Refractions, while still lighting up my scene with Sun and Sky).
As for the dark areas and highlights - don't forget, there's always post-production for that.

Good luck!

2022-01-26, 09:26:11
Reply #5

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Agree 100%.

The more 'straight-out-of-VFB' the better for me.

Which is sort of why I asked - I also want the most simple approach, but while also having the most realistic. I guess I'm also trying to avoid the Photoshop retouching, ultimately.

Also, I guess what we, as artists, sometimes forget is that photos are themselves often very re-touched and trying to get this style replicated in vfb is often not only difficult but against the rules of photorealism we're originally employing.

Thanks for the thorough answer. I appreciate your time. Keep up the good work, mate :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-01-26, 09:56:19
Reply #6

Helldoor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Helldoor Visual Studio
Took a stroll through your insta - I don't think you should be in any way concerned. Your works are great!
Rock on!

2022-01-26, 16:13:19
Reply #7

mutilo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
beautiful
I am very envious of the work you have done. compliments

2022-01-26, 21:45:46
Reply #8

Helldoor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Helldoor Visual Studio
Thanks, mutilo! Nothing to be envy about, though - if your clients are happy, then you're doing great!