Author Topic: Profiled Glass Material  (Read 3276 times)

2021-02-07, 20:53:45

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am trying to get a profiled glass material. I already tried some things in the material editor, but I couldn't manage to get the result I want.
Attached I have an example of what kind of material I want to achieve.

Best regards

2021-02-07, 21:43:15
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Isn't this like frosted glass? In the new physical material, there is a preset for this, but it's essentially just basic glass with some roughness.

2021-02-07, 22:01:26
Reply #2

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried the content browsers frosted glass, but it's not the result I want. After trying to adapt it it looks like this now:

2021-02-07, 23:04:27
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is known as "channel glass wall system". Channel glass is a U-shaped glass panel. Usually from Pilkington or Bendheim. ;)

2021-02-08, 00:20:02
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried the content browsers frosted glass, but it's not the result I want. After trying to adapt it it looks like this now:

I would not use materials from the content browser if they were native C4D materials, with glass or metals always use native Corona materials.
If you still use the "old" legacy material (not the new physical from the v7 dailies) try this:
Create a material. Switch off diffuse and switch on refraction and reflection. Now you have a clear glass.
Reduce glossiness in refraction and reflection to 0.5.
Go from there with tweaking. You can also use a subtle texture in bumb if the glass is structured.

HTH
Michael

2021-02-08, 00:22:08
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I would not use materials from the content browser if they were native C4D materials, with glass or metals always use native Corona materials.
If you still use the "old" legacy material (not the new physical from the v7 dailies) try this:
Create a material. Switch off diffuse and switch on refraction and reflection. Now you have a clear glass.
Reduce glossiness in refraction and reflection to 0.5.
Go from there with tweaking. You can also use a subtle texture in bump if the glass is structured.

HTH
Michael

2021-02-08, 02:03:40
Reply #6

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your response, it was helpful to me.
Is there a Corona Material Library or something? So far I just knew about C4D Contect Browser.
I think the channel glass wall system looks a lot better now!

2021-02-08, 09:35:30
Reply #7

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Corona Material Library is on our V7 plan, we hope to deliver it in a daily build before the release.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-02-08, 11:03:22
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For now, Physical material presets can give you quite a boost.

e.g.
Modeled and shaded to specs.
1. Glass panels: Glass Tinted (Color changed + Noise for Bump)
2. Glass railings: Copper Beryllium Foil (slight color change)
3. Floor & ceiling: Standard Physical w/ Noise for texture & Bump

2021-02-08, 22:02:57
Reply #9

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I took a quick stab at that frosted glass look. The glass on the left is using the new PBR preset for frosted glass. I couldn't figure out how to add color to it. The glass on the right is a legacy material with just refraction and a lower glossiness setting. Easy to add color too.

2021-02-08, 22:23:55
Reply #10

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys!

What kind of geometry did you use? I was using a ring of glass, as you can see on the attached picture. I was wondering if it takes too much rendertime and I could simplify it with the same result.

@ BigAI3D: Thanks for sharing the C4D data, unfortunately the left material is not working for me, it keeps saying "Unsupported Material".

2021-02-09, 00:29:40
Reply #11

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I took a quick stab at that frosted glass look. The glass on the left is using the new PBR preset for frosted glass. I couldn't figure out how to add color to it.
You need to activate "Volumetrics", there you can set up an absorption color and a distance.