Author Topic: Another Shadow Catcher Question  (Read 3095 times)

2020-10-31, 00:28:05

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since the help system is still mostly non-existent, I figure I'd post the question here. I'm rendering some cars with a shadow catcher set to "For Compositing." I like being able to get a car with the shadow included in the Alpha Channel. The only problem is, the shadows always seems a little too dark. I see the option of "Shadow Amount" but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'd love to be able to render as one file sometimes, but I can't seem to adjust the shadow. Anything I can do or this feature not fully implemented?

2020-10-31, 05:12:18
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do shadows just "seem" a little too dark or is that a fact?
To better define and clear things up, comparative imagery would be more than welcome :)

2021-07-20, 17:48:15
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In searching for an answer to this question, I found my old post. So I'm opening back up. I've attached a couple images showing two low-pass tests. Does the Shadow Amount setting function or is this a "future" feature for v12? I'm sure if I crank up the lights it may spill under the car more, but I'm trying to match the lighting on the car itself.

2021-07-20, 18:14:05
Reply #3

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I generated a Mask to pull a copy of the car on it's own layer, but used Levels to adjust the shadows. This basically works, but will most likely produce artifacts.

2021-07-21, 16:28:23
Reply #4

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

you're probably right, shadow amount does not seem to affect alpha channel in "for compositing" alpha mode.. I have logged this internally.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.