Author Topic: Looking for Advice for Volumetric Effect  (Read 2478 times)

2019-10-04, 20:27:06

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This effect with the lights in the background could very well be made in Photoshop, but I was trying to recreate it, at least most of the effect in 3D. The second image is my closest attempt. I cut holes out of a plane, but then added some geometry in each hole to help create more streaks in the light. It's in the right direction, but not quite. I have tried many things such as using a material on a light, having non-lighted discs with a light above to create the cone effect, etc.

I know I can use actual geometry with volume material, that is my next test. Just wondered if anyone had any fresh ideas in the 3D world.

2019-10-05, 14:56:59
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope, simply model and be done with it.

I also did few comparative tests. It's even faster to render. While using textures is quite slower and buggy (ie. produces extra fireflies)
Here's a 1/2h quickie to see how well it does...

... and, "Oh, la-la, that's fine!" 
:)

2019-10-05, 17:21:31
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, your examples look fantastic, but I need a little more detail. "Simply model and be done with it." What does that mean exactly? Did you model light cones and apply a Volume material?

2019-10-08, 13:05:04
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, your examples look fantastic, but I need a little more detail. "Simply model and be done with it." What does that mean exactly? Did you model light cones and apply a Volume material?
Thanks. In detail, do just as in real life - model the casings.

2019-10-08, 17:15:42
Reply #4

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any chance you can post your scene file or at least some detailed screen grabs? I'd like to see what your fixture model looks like and to learn how the Volume is set up. I tried with a light fixture model, but I'm not getting good results. Did you use a Corona Light object or a Material?

2019-10-08, 17:39:35
Reply #5

Br0nto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seconded. I've struggled to get a consistent effect like that as well. I too would appreciate a look at the scene file, if you wouldn't mind.