Author Topic: Triplanar in a C4D layer shader  (Read 2342 times)

2018-07-10, 16:26:58

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unpack the archive and load the scene. Render. Black!

It seems that triplanar and the C4D internal layer shader are not the best of friends. With two bitmaps (the same or two different ones does not matter) in this constellation, the result will always be black.
Replace the lower bitmap with a procedural noise. Works.
Replace the lower bitmap with a plain color (texture slot empty). Works.
The lower triplanar must not contain a bitmap.

This bug just occurs with Normal , other mix modes give, well, no black results at least.

Tested on Win 10, R19.053 and Corona B2 from May 30.

CU
Michael

2018-07-10, 16:33:55
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another issue that is odd:
If you use the same texture twice (in both triplanars) and "Save as asset", C4D tells me it cannot find an instance of this texture and asks for a location. Maybe there are problems handling the file correctly internally?
No idea, just an observation. Would explain the black outcome.

2018-07-11, 15:16:17
Reply #2

menano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have what I believe is part of the same issue, combining several tarplanar maps within a layer shader produces incorrect results.

I have done several tests and the issue can differ, and restarting everything has no effect. On diffuse, the result is completely black. Mixing a base color with one triplanar map works correctly, but adding and combining an additional triplanar map screws everything up.  On the reflection glossiness, some details are rendered, but incorrectly, apparently some parts of the maps got inverted. Again, rendering with only one triplanar in the glossiness produces correct results

In either case, the render is not accurate, the material preview is not accurate (matches render), but the preview of each specific channel is correct and as it should render, which only enhances the mystery for me

Attachment 1 - Diffuse: Base color mixed with one triplanar map in a layer shader. Reflection: One triplanar map on each channel. Correct results

Attachment 2 - Diffuse: Added another triplanar to the layer shader. Reflection: Off. The preview in the diffuse is correct, the overall material preview and render are incorrect.

Attachment 3 - Diffuse: Same as attachment 2. Reflection: Added another triplanar map in the glossiness by mixing in a layer shader. Again, the preview in the reflection is correct, the overall material preview and render are incorrect.

As these things often happen in the middle of a project, feedback is highly appreciated