Author Topic: Copy and Paste Layered Materials  (Read 3105 times)

2018-04-20, 23:55:47

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Full-speed non-debug version
Build timestamp: Feb  5 2018 10:05:29
Version: B1  (core 1.7)
Cinema version: CINEMA 4D Studio R19.053 S
Plugin status: initialized successfully

Mac OS Sierra 12.12.4

If you have a Layered material in a scene and want to copy and paste it, or the objects and materials, only the Layered material itself is copied, but not the supporting materials that comprise the layers. This happens every time. Not a major bug, but very annoying if you have many materials. Right now, I have to go back and copy the missing materials and paste again into the new scene, then re-stack the layers.

2018-04-21, 23:01:56
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think that's the concept that Cinema4D simply doesn't acknowledge. There's no C4D layered material in AR or PR, so there's no need to support such action with the code (no referencing a material within a material) - observed same in Indigo.

bypass
Copy/Paste them all
in one go/single action (this way connections stay; also watch out for naming conventions - no duplicates)

disclaimer ;)
Based on experience so, let developers chime in, explain, confirm...

2018-04-25, 09:16:07
Reply #2

mp5gosu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think that's the concept that Cinema4D simply doesn't acknowledge. There's no C4D layered material in AR or PR, so there's no need to support such action with the code (no referencing a material within a material) - observed same in Indigo.

This is only half of the truth. It's actually the dev who needs to implement that functionality. And it is indeed possible.

2018-04-25, 12:25:53
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the other half is in the shadow... or between the lines

board > executives > management > development
(the connecting link = capital authority = profit)

everything is probably possible :p

2018-04-25, 14:02:57
Reply #4

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
the other half is in the shadow... or between the lines

board > executives > management > development
(the connecting link = capital authority = profit)

everything is probably possible :p

WTF are you talking about? :-D

In any case, yes it's up to us to try to find a workaroud (i.e. an ugly hack) that will allow to copy such materials. Maybe it won't be reasonably possible at all, so we'll have to make a compromise (as happens very often). And yes, C4D doesn't allow for materials within materials.