Author Topic: Foliage / exterior materials testing  (Read 10803 times)

2014-10-21, 18:22:54

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys...

I've just started testing Corona about a week ago and must say, that I'm really surprised by its simplicity and how fast you can get things done. Coming from Vray, I wanted to test the translucency on various types of foliage, since I've always had a hard time achieving the right balance with it in Vray.
Anyway, here's my first render, testing the IvyGrower on some simple model with Corona and IBL. Any comments and critique (help) are very wellcome!

More images to come, once the project progresses a bit further, such as grass, trees, bushes and maybe some overall exterior shots.
----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2014-10-21, 18:34:03
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Model 3-4 custom curved leaves, 4-6 polies, simple bend curvature and use as custom mesh geometry inside plugin. Easy, fast but does million dollar difference.

I can't stand the flat leaves, it's always so super obvious and ugly.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-21, 19:01:16
Reply #2

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
Hi Matej
I'm going to be a fan of your images I think ! Wonderful first render, congratulations.
Juraj told an evidence for Ivy plugin... the origin leaves are ugly, so don't hesitate to put yourselves !
I'm following you...
Roland
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2014-10-21, 19:48:23
Reply #3

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Model 3-4 custom curved leaves, 4-6 polies, simple bend curvature and use as custom mesh geometry inside plugin. Easy, fast but does million dollar difference.

I can't stand the flat leaves, it's always so super obvious and ugly.

I agree, it would be so much better. Especialy if you realise that the ivy plays quite an important role in that shot.

2014-10-21, 19:58:49
Reply #4

Tom Zamorin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my gallery
Matej Hi!
It is not similar on WIP, it is similar to the ending ;)
With impatience I wait for a grass :) and trees

Welcome!

2014-10-22, 23:02:23
Reply #5

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comments and that tip guys!

@Juraj, lacilaci, Roland I'll definitely change the leaves first thing, you're right.

@Tom as soon as I have some spare time. The thing is, I've been meaning to model some decent grass with a fair amount of variety that I can use in my renders... maybe this'll be the time.

matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com

2014-10-23, 12:13:08
Reply #6

Tom Zamorin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my gallery
Matej,
Time - does not exist, the result is the main thing!
With pleasure we will wait)

2014-10-23, 13:25:48
Reply #7

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Wonderful render Matej, can't wait to see more from you! Any yeah, default leaves are kinda surreal :)
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-10-23, 22:32:08
Reply #8

pmcf1981

• Active Users
    • View Profile
matej is perfect :)

2014-10-24, 12:32:35
Reply #9

Silverwing

• Active Users
  • You don´t dream in cryo
    • View Profile
    • Silverwing-VFX
Wow this is really amazing!

I really love the textures and the composition. Especially the leaves look spot on. Overall its a highly realistic render!
Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Silverwing

2014-10-24, 12:45:42
Reply #10

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone:)

I felt obligated to upload this little update with fixed leaves as per your suggestions. I also added some older leaf shader to the older branches at the bottom with adjusted translucency and diffuse compared to younger leaves and just mixed the two materials together using a blend material.
I'll probably tinker with onyx and some generic trees this weekend. Stay tuned.

matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com

2014-10-24, 16:04:57
Reply #11

demmi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow thats a nice result if you keep comparing the first and second one you can see that the angled leafs make more reflection and add more realism to the scene and also can be seen comparing the glass reflecting it =) good job
behance.com/demmi
- active Corona User

2014-10-25, 02:21:35
Reply #12

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
Awesome. That wood material is really attractive -- did you purchase it somewhere? Thanks!

2014-10-25, 18:09:12
Reply #13

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My material made with a black wood texture from cgsource
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com

2014-11-02, 22:33:03
Reply #14

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I've had some time this weekend to try out some groundcover.

The initial plan was to model some trees, but that just takes a lot of tinkering in onyx and I just wasn't up for it this week. So I took it out on the grass.

First, I tried to make my own grass objects, you know: take a plane, apply some bend and twist modifiers, scatter, on a small plane, collapse to single mesh and convert to proxy.. then scatter the proxys on my ground plane. Took a lot of time with disappointing results. Soon I realized all my grass blades were all rooting vertically and then bending. Also the small patches of grass didn't quite cover the ground and I had to raise the proxy count substantially or even paint in the missing patches. It was also horrible on rough terrainn, cause the patches were a bit too big. For the type of grass I was going for (also for close up renders), that just didn't cut it. I tried adjusting that, the results were a bit better, but it still didn't look right to me.

Then, I started searching for some free grass models, that had all the properties, that I was looking for. Those were multiple angled roots, non-circular or non-square distributed models and lots and lots of variation. I found some nice free sample models from Maxtree's MTgrass pack.
The result was nice, I converted the Vray materials to Corona and adjusted them to fit the shader I was looking for. I also modeled some clovers in Cinema4D (I'm a max user for about a year now, so I model faster in Cinema:)) and scattered them using a greyscale map.

The distribution and variance looked way nicer, but mostly flat. I then downloaded two more groundcover models from Xfrog samples site, and redid the process, adding those in.

The final step was to add some rocks. I "modeled" those using the greatest debris plugin out there, DebrisMaker2. I used a single texture, spherical mapped in diffuse and adjusted the reflection and bump a bit.

The shot is very closed, because I'm just using a small ground plane for testing purposes.

The main realization with these tests, (as I initially presumed but was trying to avoid and take shortcuts) was that it's equally important to have or make good, varied grass models, lots of them, distribute them properly, and also have good shaders...
A lack of variance in any of those aspects just doesn't deliver the required results.

It was rendered in 5 hours at 50 passes using a single Intel i7 920 at 2.8Ghz @ 3000x1600px with DOF enabled. I just made some basic color correction using levels and curves.

I'll apply the tested grass to my previous Ivy scene in the near future.

As always, any comments and critique are very welcome.
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com