General Category > Hardware

Laptop Suggestions

(1/3) > >>

acrobaticpoly:
Hey guys,

I just would like to get some thoughts on any laptops you think might be a good choice for rendering on the go, or if anyone has any great experiences with any (Good temp levels, low noise etc)
I have a dedicated system at home with 128GB of RAM and a CPU capable of almost anything but I'd like a machine to use on the go - It doesn't need to handle any big jobs, just something... pretty capable I guess. I have my eye on an Alienware M15 R3 at the mo but I thought I'd see what the community has to say.

I would also like to mention that my main programs would be 3DS Max, Corona and Phoenix.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Vuk:
I have just seen recently the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro and the 7 Pro. They seem like a pretty sweet deal to be honest.

The price to performance ratio is great if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Obviously there are much more expensive options that are workstation-grade but I doubt you will get a lot more cpu performance (not more than 15%).  For the ram surely yes since there are options that offer 128gb but if you don't need that and if 64 is enough then this seems like the best option out there right now. Just check if they are capable of 64gb memory but I suppose they are with 2 sticks of 32.

What I liked about the new Legion was the 5800H Ryzen 8 core cpu, 16:10 aspect ratio screen that is QHD and 144hz capable (great if you want to game a bit and for productivity), screen is also 500 nits, rtx 3000 series gpu and if you can go over the gamery look of the 5 pro of course. But you always have the option of the 7 Pro that looks plainer and office alike. Bear in mind that these laptops are a tad bit heavy though :).

Juraj:

--- Quote from: Vuk on 2021-05-19, 16:55:57 ---

What I liked about the new Legion was the 5800H Ryzen 8 core cpu, 16:10 aspect ratio screen that is QHD and 144hz capable (great if you want to game a bit and for productivity), screen is also 500 nits, rtx 3000 series gpu and if you can go over the gamery look of the 5 pro of course. But you always have the option of the 7 Pro that looks plainer and office alike. Bear in mind that these laptops are a tad bit heavy though :).

--- End quote ---

100perc. what VUK wrote on all accounts.

The Lenovo Legions are indeed very good balance of features at great price point. Also, Lenovo is the only laptop maker with 16" 16:10 2560x1600px display right now afaik. Looks like they bought exclusivity for it ;- ). The rest only offer 15"/17" 16:9 displays with 2560px or 3840px.

But they are so damn ugly :- (. Peak gamer design unfortunately. Still, great laptops.

I personally don't mind the weight. My Razer Blade 17 pro is 2.6KG and it's just fine. That is actually perfect weight for thin mobile workstation (Dell XPS 17 has same weight with discreet nVidia GPU). Do you guys remember the 5KG + battleships just two generations ago :- ) ?

Luke:
is there anything out there that has more than 8 Cores and can take 128Gb ram? I'm looking for a solid solution for being able to work on the road...

hurrycat:

--- Quote from: Luke on 2021-07-15, 05:51:20 ---is there anything out there that has more than 8 Cores and can take 128Gb ram? I'm looking for a solid solution for being able to work on the road...

--- End quote ---

I am pretty sure the most you can get from consumer-grade laptop CPUs is 8 cores. But there do exist some manufacturers that use Desktop CPUs in notebooks, like Origin PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version