Author Topic: Crisper renders  (Read 976 times)

2023-05-15, 17:08:18

glbarns

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi all.

I've been using Cinema 4d and Corona for a few years (on and off, not full time) I do alot of work on exhibitions & interiors.

I see other people produce really crisp images, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but mine always feel mine have a bit of a fuzz to them.

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of settings to follow in certain areas to get nice crisp finishes?

Thanks in advance to any legends who are able to help, I would happily pay someone for an online (or two) if that would help.

Can seem to find an easy answer to my problem online.

George

2023-05-15, 17:13:24
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The stock Anti-aliasing filter (called "HQ Filter") is 2px wide and that's quite softening and rather noticeable in lower resolution renders (like less than 3000 px wide image). Modern digital cameras don't even have AA filters anymore, though I am not sure if that would work in CGI, and I don't remember ever testing in Corona :- ).

Higher-res renders downscaled in post-production (using for example Bicubic Sharper method) for internet publishing will contain more detail and look sharper.

And most importantly, sharpening in Framebuffer or post-production, same as with Photography.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-05-16, 03:39:03
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Without posting an example of your images and all the render settings, it's total guess-work.

2023-05-16, 16:40:53
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also textures, surface details, lighting, contrast, whole color theory and stuff... all that jazz, fine tuned makes fine art.

2023-06-09, 10:21:04
Reply #4

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The stock Anti-aliasing filter (called "HQ Filter") is 2px wide and that's quite softening and rather noticeable in lower resolution renders (like less than 3000 px wide image). Modern digital cameras don't even have AA filters anymore, though I am not sure if that would work in CGI, and I don't remember ever testing in Corona :- ).

Higher-res renders downscaled in post-production (using for example Bicubic Sharper method) for internet publishing will contain more detail and look sharper.

And most importantly, sharpening in Framebuffer or post-production, same as with Photography.

Speaking of sharpening settings in VFB, is there some sort of standard that most people use to get a nice looking sharpness on images or is it very much depending on the scene? I remember some time ago dubcat posted a screenshot with Sharpen amount 7, Sharpen radius 0.05 and Blur radius 0.25 and a comment that "these radius settings are at 1k, multiply k by whatever resolution you're using". I've been using this as a base and adjusting when I need more/less sharpness but I will admit it still looks quite "artificial" if you crank it up, and quite blurry if you just leave it at that.

Or are VFB sharpness settings just not good enough compared to some post-production tools and plugins and people ignore it and deal with it afterwards?

2023-06-09, 10:27:02
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There are no magic numbers, and they are quite resolution dependent sadly.

The stock default values don't do almost anything at all. For the effect to be visible, even on subconscious at higher than 3K resolution, it looks bad when doing IR tests at lower res..
I think it's not great solution.

I try to use at least 0,85 Pixel radius for sharpening, regardless if it's Corona, or Photoshop. This value can stay more of less regardless of resolution, unlike blur which needs to increase at higher resolution.
At low resolution the renderings are blurry because of the Filtering stock value being 2 pixels ("HQ Filter"), but even 1.5" Tent is quite blurrying..

Because I render my images at 4K to 8K resolution in most cases, my Blur value is 1.5+ I think.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-06-09, 13:23:09
Reply #6

mase

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting. Do you still fiddle with Image Filter setting even though as you said it doesn't really give you required sharpness, or leave it at default and mostly play with vfb settings?

I haven't experimented much with other types of image filtering, would anyone with more experience mind sharing the results? I assume since HQ filter is default it's because it's the best in most scenarios.

2023-06-09, 15:20:54
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No I never fiddle with Filters. I keep it default (HQ) but since I often use Intel denoiser it uses Tent instead.

2023-06-20, 16:15:38
Reply #8

ingemar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If nothing else works, there’s always Topaz Labs’ Sharpen AI.

2023-07-05, 17:23:30
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Making sharpening/blurring appear visually similar regardless of the output resolution sounds interesting, let's see if it can be done. :)

(Internal ID=1153831533)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us