Author Topic: Yet another critical problem with bump mapping  (Read 8861 times)

2020-04-20, 11:10:45
Reply #15

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please anyone with similar issues report it to developers, the more we are the more likely it will be fixed.

2020-04-20, 15:33:23
Reply #16

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Max Corona user here and I can confirm (along with others) that there's a big issue with bump mapping being view/resolution dependant. The issue becomes more apparent when using micro fine bump maps (fine plastic pitting, fine stainless steel brushing e.t.c).

I've posted this before but if you want an example of rock solid bump/filtering implementation, at least as far as needed for our purposes take a look at this video:

The anistropy of the stainless steel is purely derived from the fine bump map (no dedicated anistropy slot) and being a dual user of Corona and Fstorm I can guarantee that if you try this in Corona using bump maps, it will break. You might get a semi decent result for one particular view but as soon as you increase the render resolution or change the view all hell breaks loose and you'll have to re-tweak the material.

This is quite a large problem imo, as it impacts pretty much all common materials - wood, concrete and wall paint for example. The natural anistropy from the video example will be lost on common materials unless explicitly mapping it (and even then you won't be able to get as fine a result unless rendering larger and downsampling).

This isn't a knock on Corona - I still use it for 95% of commercial projects, I'm just trying to aid in key areas that could use some improvement.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20, 15:42:24 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2020-04-20, 16:20:23
Reply #17

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is quite a large problem imo, as it impacts pretty much all common materials

+1
I can't see how such an important feature has been neglected until now. An implementation like Fstorm would be ideal but I would be more than happy even if they simply solve the bug reported here. This is not a fancy new feature needed by a very few users, it is really a basic needs for all of us and it's crucial to get consistent shaders.

2020-04-20, 17:09:42
Reply #18

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also immediately noticeable: nice tone mapping, color grading & natural looking light dynamics in FStorm...

I'm sure Corona devs are working on getting there. :)

2020-04-20, 23:15:19
Reply #19

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 about the bump mapping. (I'm a Max user though)

2022-12-10, 23:46:52
Reply #20

Matthew86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know this is an old topic, but I wonder if this bug has been fixed or it is still unresolved.

2022-12-12, 11:52:43
Reply #21

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know if it is considered as a bug but this annoying behavior is still here yes.

Video

It's way better with the Corona Bitmap shader ( default shader settings, haven't touched the bump strength )

2022-12-12, 11:58:09
Reply #22

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-12-12, 12:31:54
Reply #23

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Howdy! We are looking into options on how to improve this behavior and from my understanding it is mostly related to filtering. Quite a complicated topic.

For more consistent results (albeit with potentially longer render times) you should place your bump maps into Corona Bitmaps and set the interpolation method to "Bicubic (smoother)". Alternatively, if you prefer using C4D's bitmap shader you can also try tweaking its Blur Scale (by lowering it) or changing to a different sampling method. Do note that zero filtering typically isn't the smartest thing to do though.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-12-12, 15:27:04
Reply #24

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It's the same issue as described here https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38682.0
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-12-12, 17:17:24
Reply #25

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's way better with the Corona Bitmap shader ( default shader settings, haven't touched the bump strength )

Unfortunately not a solution in some cases like on a wooden floor where a Corona UVW Randomizer shader is used. I had forgotten that Corona Bitmap and UVW Randomizer don't work together. Time for a rant !

Could you guys please fix once and for all all these inconsistencies in the C4D plugin ? Triplanar and Layer in Bump channel, proper UVW support, proper render instances support, motion blur, duplicated nodes from Corona Shared shader and the list goes on.
Some are known for YEARS, and are sometimes even reported by several users on the forum in the span of a few years, and it doesn't get better with each new version, still we are asked to pay the same price as the Max guys. I would gladly trade new features for a bug-free Corona 10 ( heck, some are not even bug but rather non-working features / settings ).

2022-12-12, 17:36:18
Reply #26

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
duplicated nodes from Corona Shared shader - afaik this no longer happens. If there is a workflow that makes it happen still, does it have a ticket or a thread on the forum about it?

Motion blur - what does Max do that C4D does not here? Remember that Max has limitations on what can be moblurred too. Just wanting to know the specifics of any particular complaint, thanks!

UVW Support, can you be specific again? Just wondering, since Max and C4D handle UVs very differently, and not sure if the problem you are running into is a Corona one, or a C4D one.

As for paying the same price, well there are things done for C4D that are not done for Max, the Node Material Editor, support for totally different hardware in the form of Macs (with several different types of those now), and other things that C4D gets/needs that Max does not.

Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-12-12, 17:54:28
Reply #27

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmmm... can I see an exemplary scene file?

2022-12-12, 19:24:10
Reply #28

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom, thanks for answering so quickly

duplicated nodes from Corona Shared shader - afaik this no longer happens. If there is a workflow that makes it happen still, does it have a ticket or a thread on the forum about it?

It is still here. For example import "Fabric Cotton" from the Corona Material Library and drop it into the Node Editor. Happens also randomly with my own materials, usually when copy pasting materials between scenes. Unfortunaterly it's hard to track.

Also the Corona Shared shader leads to another limitation I've discovered today which is happening when you transform a shared C4D Bitmap to a Corona Bitmap. The bitmap path is lost during the "conversion" and you have to relink the nodes. Example below.

Motion blur - what does Max do that C4D does not here? Remember that Max has limitations on what can be moblurred too. Just wanting to know the specifics of any particular complaint, thanks!

Motion blur doesn't work with Render Instances, it was reported again last week, it's on the Trello board for 3 years. It works with instances but it's not a real workaround since C4D "Instance" mode eats as much memory as if it was a regular object.

UVW Support, can you be specific again? Just wondering, since Max and C4D handle UVs very differently, and not sure if the problem you are running into is a Corona one, or a C4D one.

Corona Bitmap's Override UVW parameter is a nice addition to overcome the way UVs are handled in C4D ( poorly yes ) , unfortunately it doesn't work at all. In the same way, the UVW channel setting for Anisotropy Orientation doesn't work.
( Request #63528 )

As for paying the same price, well there are things done for C4D that are not done for Max, the Node Material Editor, support for totally different hardware in the form of Macs (with several different types of those now), and other things that C4D gets/needs that Max does not.

Fair enough, I hadn't thought about that and the Apple Silicon support is really nice since I guess it was not an easy thing to tackle.

2022-12-12, 19:57:06
Reply #29

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks John for the extra detail on each point! With Trello links or ticket numbers to go with those, extra useful.

While C4D does need some extra things Max does not, we do still want and aim to achieve as much feature-parity as is possible, still important for us and we'll continue working to make anything possible in Corona for Max to be possible Corona for C4D (within the limitations of the host software sometimes being very different and having its own unique limitations :) ).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us