Author Topic: Help me please on a displacement!  (Read 1964 times)

2023-09-14, 14:25:51

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello
I have an aftershave bottle here. It's glass. It needs a logo displacement map on the front.
I'd usually get the glass material on there. Then create a new material with just the displacement activated and drop that on - then click the 'add material' box to incorporate it as a displaced (raised) logo.

How is this done in Corona?
I've tried the same method but with Corona materials and I'm getting strange results.  See attachment.

Thanks in advance folks.

2023-09-14, 14:58:50
Reply #1

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right I've managed to get them to work by selecting just the front polygons etc .

However, there's one tricky bottle that has a texture in the background and simply putting the displacement thing on it isn't working well.
Please see below

Any ideas?

2023-09-14, 16:50:40
Reply #2

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Literally me trying to look at your image ;) Perhaps a larger one would help or the scene ;)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-09-14, 18:07:36
Reply #3

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
haha, I thought it looked pretty clear in that image, I don't want that black 'box' around the logo there...
Have a look at this larger image, the ones that are on plain glass bottles are okay. The one on the gradiated back ground has a 'black background'....it needs to show the browny gradient behind it...
See new all improved larger image below! The bottles on the left are okay. The bottle 4th across needs to have that 'bump' logo but still show that glow (shown on the far right bottle) behind it...
Cheers!
Andy

2023-09-14, 18:17:34
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Use a Decal set to only affect displacement, leaving the other channels in the material the same? (Requires Corona 10)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-09-14, 18:28:07
Reply #5

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Poop. I'm on 9. Will sort that asap!

2023-09-14, 20:09:22
Reply #6

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Literally me trying to look at your image ;)

Love your dress!

2023-09-19, 11:00:03
Reply #7

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Is there a turorial video anywhere showing how to use this displacement decal anywhere online?

2023-09-19, 11:04:24
Reply #8

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi. Is there a turorial video anywhere showing how to use this displacement decal anywhere online?
Indeed, we have these links:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4954081899793-How-to-use-Corona-Decal-object-in-Cinema-4D-
https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRC4D/Corona+Decal

I hope that helps!
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-09-19, 12:47:21
Reply #9

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Brilliant stuff mate, I'll have a good look and try to figure out why I can't get it to work...!

2023-09-19, 12:56:47
Reply #10

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ahh @beanz I managed to do it. Noticed that this decal thing is flat projection only. Is that right? So if I wanted to do cylindrical embossing, say, on a bottle it wouldn't be possible?

2023-09-19, 13:26:47
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It is flat projection only at the moment, right - so depends how far round the bottle it has to go, if just a short amount the distortions would not be noticeable, but if it wraps around a lot, it would not be suitable. Curved decals is on the list for "future plans" btw but no timescale as yet.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-09-19, 14:08:18
Reply #12

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
ahh @beanz I managed to do it. Noticed that this decal thing is flat projection only. Is that right? So if I wanted to do cylindrical embossing, say, on a bottle it wouldn't be possible?
Hi, glad to hear you are having some success with it. As my colleague mentioned, you can only go so far with the wrapping. But it is indeed possible as pictured.

If you want to wrap it much more, I'd suggest using the 'Wrap' deformer.

Hope it helps.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-09-19, 15:13:39
Reply #13

wardy_mk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks!
I'll do some more investigating... :)

2023-09-19, 15:30:29
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Wouldn't it be simpler and more effective to go with cylindrical mapping instead of Corona decal?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures