Author Topic: CoronaDecals playground!  (Read 36379 times)

2021-10-26, 22:06:27
Reply #30

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
How about vector displaced decal w/ light/emission material inside? Does that work?

Didn't try it myself, but i've heard that light material and self illumination are working with decals just fine. I wouldn't be too much surprised to find that vector displacement is possible too :]

light emission, self illumination is working

vector displacement unfortunately not - all advanced displacement properties are taken from the base layer
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-10-27, 09:03:59
Reply #31

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

Light emission (using a light material as decal material) works only with restrictions:

The entire mesh receiving the decal gets turned into lights. Projecting a light material onto some car model creates 1:1 the triangle count of the car of lights. I expect that some hit depth/count parameter (if technically possible) could resolve this.

Directionallity does not work, seems to be zero regardless of the light materials value, same with other light material settings like visibility (which is obviously a technical restriction).

Backfaces get a pitch black decal. Here as well, hit count may solve it. No idea if it could be handled otherwise.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2021-10-27, 11:33:28
Reply #32

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys. Don't know if this is exactly the purpose of this feature but since right now i can apply decals by planar mapping, is in the plans to include different kind of mapping such as cylindrical and spherical or UVW mapping?
It could be very useful instead of adding layers to materials. Quick and easy.

Second consideration: decals doesn't change reflection behavior of surfaces to which decal is applied to. Is is correct? Is there some way to affect reflection glossiness of the surface by the use of decal?

Thanks
Raf

« Last Edit: 2021-10-27, 17:17:21 by cgiout »

2021-10-27, 21:01:43
Reply #33

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How about vector displaced decal w/ light/emission material inside? Does that work?

Didn't try it myself, but i've heard that light material and self illumination are working with decals just fine. I wouldn't be too much surprised to find that vector displacement is possible too :]

vector displacement unfortunately not - all advanced displacement properties are taken from the base layer

Light emission (using a light material as decal material) works only with restrictions:

The entire mesh receiving the decal gets turned into lights. Projecting a light material onto some car model creates 1:1 the triangle count of the car of lights. I expect that some hit depth/count parameter (if technically possible) could resolve this.

Directionallity does not work, seems to be zero regardless of the light materials value, same with other light material settings like visibility (which is obviously a technical restriction).

Backfaces get a pitch black decal. Here as well, hit count may solve it. No idea if it could be handled otherwise.

Good Luck

Yes, those are quite hard to solve efficiently, why I asked. I'd also like to see/know how glass, translucency, subsurface, layered, ray-switcher, shadow catcher...  complex shaders behave.

Then, since decals are a hack (and almost exclusively used for exteriors), so could be shaders; are now any plans to expand some in a way that'll be more user friendly (uber-like) and handle decals better (ie. single sheet SSS, 2-sided, parallax mapping...)?

Finally, how soon or late can C4D users expect to taste it?

:)
Keep up the good work!

2021-10-31, 18:07:14
Reply #34

TEV09

• Users
    • View Profile
Decals are amazing, I wish we had separate button at the Corona Toolbar for CDecal object and the ability to add corona displacement modifier on top of CoronaDecal object, or simple override displacement spinners in CDecal parameters itself

P.S. And maybe in the future it will be cool to have an opportunity to assign "Corona Decal Modifier" to a custom geometry with proper UV coordinates, creating a "projection shell" to project for example stitches on the fabric, using one long stripe of polygons, detached from the original mesh

"Corona Decal Modifier" is a great idea! I imagined what it might look like (look at the attachment).

2021-11-09, 20:42:25
Reply #35

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Decals are fun!

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-11-10, 03:30:12
Reply #36

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

P.S. And maybe in the future it will be cool to have an opportunity to assign "Corona Decal Modifier" to a custom geometry with proper UV coordinates, creating a "projection shell" to project for example stitches on the fabric, using one long stripe of polygons, detached from the original mesh

"Corona Decal Modifier" is a great idea! I imagined what it might look like (look at the attachment).

Guys, any chance to bring this to life? it can be really useful in many cases, if you are interested I can provide more examples.

2021-11-10, 09:21:04
Reply #37

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is in the plans to include different kind of mapping such as cylindrical and spherical or UVW mapping?
up
that would be very useful.

2021-11-10, 10:26:44
Reply #38

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't get the logic behind requests to make decals as modifier. Can someone explain me, how it would be different from having uvw map modifier and layered material? Maybe i'm missing something?

2021-11-10, 10:52:11
Reply #39

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
..to solve for example that limitation:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34613.msg190985#msg190985

yes can use layered material, but decal is mutch more simple.

2021-11-10, 11:11:31
Reply #40

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
but that is not related to a modifier, right?
What you want is a projection mesh, not modifier, right?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-11-10, 11:13:55
Reply #41

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
but that is not related to a modifier, right?
yes
What you want is a projection mesh, not modifier, right?
yes

2021-11-10, 11:27:13
Reply #42

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What you want is a projection mesh
Sorry Ondra, if you means a projection mesh like geopattern, no.
Decals shoud project on mesh
 or perpendicularly to mesh
 or following a UVW map (witothout ripeat obviously).

2021-11-10, 11:45:10
Reply #43

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
..to solve for example that limitation:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34613.msg190985#msg190985

yes can use layered material, but decal is mutch more simple.

Decals are much simpler to use because they are separate object. By turning them to modifier, you basically would lose all the benefits, like ability to use decals on unlimited number of objects, an option to use separate decal material, freedom to independantly move decal in scene. I don't see what you would gain in return, other than you already can do with uvw map and layered material.

2021-11-10, 18:03:48
Reply #44

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
romullus i agree with you, decals should not be turned to modifier,
but in my opinion decals should have the option to be affected by UVW map (not on repeat and not on scale).