Author Topic: Corona Tonemap Control  (Read 4307 times)

2020-06-18, 15:57:00

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

Corona Tonemap Control isn't working for me as I would expect.

The ground has a light material with corona Tonemap control applied. If I change as example saturation, everything is affected.

Can someone confirm that or give me a hint what I'm doing wrong?

C4D R20
6.0 daily Jun 11

2020-06-19, 00:03:14
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm seeing it wrong but it looks just like you're applying tone mapping to the rendered result and not to the shader/material...
so do best to provide your study scene ready-to-render (& if necessary, describing steps to reproduce).

2020-06-19, 15:13:33
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Please share the set up in the Tonemap Control. Also note that you need to restart IR / the render if you make any changes to the Tonemapping in the VFB. It can only remove the effects that were set at the time the render was started (since it "inverts" those effects to cancel out the changes - but if you change the VFB tonemapping, that inversion of the texture no longer is correct to cancel out the new tonemapping).

See https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000522247-corona-tonemap-control-map
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-06-23, 18:18:35
Reply #3

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm aware that I need to restart.
Exposure is working as expected but I can't change saturation because it would affect my background too..

Here my file. Maybe someone can check it out.
Thanks for your help!

2020-06-23, 18:37:56
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, for getting the Physical Sky to be excluded from Tone Mapping.

This should work - create the Corona Sky object. Set it to Shader rather than Physical. As the Shader, add a Corona Tone Map Control, and in that Tone Map Control, add the Sky shader (set to Physical). Now you have the Physical sky, but it should respect the tone map controls to exclude it from being adjusted by the VFB (with the same "need to restart" of course). Let me know if that solves what you were wanting to achieve!

2020-06-23, 21:33:44
Reply #5

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, I want a normal image excluded from Tone Mapping. I use it as a background for my render.

Step by step:
- Create plane
- Create Light Material, disable Emit light
- Texture -> Corona Tonemap Control -> image
- Apply Light Material to plane
- Change saturation or contrast in VFB
- Render

Light Material doesn't change exposure now but is still affected if I change saturation or contrast.(Which in my opinion should not)
I want the image just the same as it is in Photoshop, without any changes in term of exposure or saturation.

2020-06-23, 23:14:02
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah ok, that wasn't how I saw the scene as being set up, sorry. In which case I think that falls under the fact that it "does not work with non-monotonic operators", of which Saturation would be one by the look of it.

If you want to use something as a background in the render though, why not just render with alpha, and composite in post? It would be more tricky if it was an object, but for a background that might be the easiest way to go?

2020-06-24, 01:20:53
Reply #7

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sometimes it's easier to to right in C4D but in post is it possible too of course.

Another scenario, just as an example. If I would have a background image with trees on it and I have trees in my scene too. So I would want to adjust my materials and geometry, that they look like the trees in my image.
That would be much easier with IR and background image than export and compare in Photoshop.
Hope you understand what I mean :)

So right now Tonemap Control works with:
Exposure
Highlight compress
White balance

Does not work
Saturation
Luts
curves

unknown
contrast (I can't change contrast to something lower than 1 because it gets reseted to 1 when I hit render)