Author Topic: Local vs. Network setting for rendering  (Read 2434 times)

2020-08-03, 12:08:40

nefertum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,
what is in your learned opinion better for studio of 2-3 people who want to share library of their assets (textures, 3D objects, etc, used via Connecter or Project Manager) - CLOUD (e.g. dropbox) or own SERVER machine?
We were almost ready to buy some NAS server, but then it occured to me (and please correct me if i'm wrong), the files sync'ed via dropbox on my workstation are faster option for rendering, than detached files on some other machine, where network bandwith comes to play. I have only supericial understanding of network data exchange, so i'm not sure how factors like "100Mbit or 1Gbit adapter/modem/router", coaxial cable quality, etc would manifest themselves during for instance real time rendering (where i assume is any potential delay caused by slower loading of textures visible the most). Am i missing something? We work primarily in 3dsMax with Corona.
There are articles on NAS vs Cloud subject, but it is the connection with everyday rendering use, that interests me here. Thanks anyone for helpful comments.

2020-09-26, 01:12:45
Reply #1

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I have a NAS that stores everything. Then on my workstation and render nodes I set up a system that localises from the NAS, files with specific extensions only (.cgeo, .tif, .pc2, etc.) that ones once a day.

The reasoning behind this that I offset a lot of my network traffic to happen at times other than when all my render nodes start working on a job. So that by the time they are ready to render a scene, 95% of the assets are already localised, and the nodes are not all hammering away at the same files on the network.