Author Topic: Shadows/Lighting  (Read 583 times)

2023-02-03, 03:28:57

miacreed

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I'm struggling with casting shadows in my renderings. I'm trying to cast the shadow of some tree leaves onto a facade, but am unable to although I've tried using different sun sizes and intensities. I was wondering if anyone knew any tips on how to achieve darker, more specific shadows, as opposed to shapeless kind of general grey shade. No matter what settings I use it seems I can't get sharp shadows of tree leaves -

I've attached an example of what I'm trying to achieve: notice the clear shadow of tree leaves on the green metalic facade of this ADU dwelling.

Any ideas welcome :)

Thanks in advance,
Mia

2023-02-03, 09:54:07
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The blurriness of a shadow depends on combination of 3 factors - size of a light source, distance from light source to the object that is casting shadow and the distance from the object that is casting shadow to the object that is receiving shadow. If your light source is the sun, then it's even more simple, since two first factors are fixed (at least in real life), so the only thing you can do to increase shadow sharpness is to move the tree closer to the wall. You can observe this in your very example - foliage that are closest to the wall cast much sharper shadows than those that are farther away.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-02-03, 10:48:13
Reply #2

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The blurriness of a shadow depends on combination of 3 factors - size of a light source, distance from light source to the object that is casting shadow and the distance from the object that is casting shadow to the object that is receiving shadow.
Another factor is the angle of the light source  rispect to the plane of surface that recieve shadows.

2023-02-03, 11:05:27
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you like the rest of the shadows and want to change just the shadows on the facade, you will need to do two separate renders.

In your case, lowering the sun size will give the most and best effect. You have probably increased the sun size instead of lowering it. Remember that bigger sun size gives softer shadows.
Start with 1.0 and then try lower values.

See size examples attached.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 2023-02-06, 09:59:32 by Aram Avetisyan »
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-02-03, 11:14:06
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The blurriness of a shadow depends on combination of 3 factors - size of a light source, distance from light source to the object that is casting shadow and the distance from the object that is casting shadow to the object that is receiving shadow.
Another factor is the angle of the light source  rispect to the plane of surface that recieve shadows.

It's just a third factor viewed from another perspective ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-02-06, 10:28:37
Reply #5

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's just a third factor viewed from another perspective ;]
yes, it can be consudered a derivation of third factor.